SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-08-09, 04:15 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Google OS revealed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8139711.stm

Two questions on my mind:

1. Is it compatible with Windows-software and sims designed for Windows OS?

2. Is it safer - or is it also an unscupulous collector of private data and privacy information like it's nasty cousin Google Chrome: which is a web browser as destructive to privacy that the German federal police has issued the toughest warning of it that the office ever has released on any piece of code, application and malware alike.
Old 07-08-09, 05:19 AM   #2
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

at that article. Whoever wrote it has obviously well and truly swallowed everything Google says. That sounded more like an advertisement than a real article on BBC's site.

For example this piece
Quote:
"This is the first time we have had a truly competitive OS on the market in years. This is potentially disruptive and is the first real attempt by anyone to go after Microsoft."
Yeah right...
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 06:53 AM   #3
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Quote:
"We are completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates.
"It should just work," said Google.
Famous last words. Even the so called untouchable Mac has had many exploits exposed.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 06:58 AM   #4
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fincuan View Post
at that article. Whoever wrote it has obviously well and truly swallowed everything Google says. That sounded more like an advertisement than a real article on BBC's site.

For example this piece
Quote:
"This is the first time we have had a truly competitive OS on the market in years. This is potentially disruptive and is the first real attempt by anyone to go after Microsoft."
Yeah right...
:rotfl:

That might be one of the most ignorant things I have heard this year
Old 07-08-09, 10:27 AM   #5
danurve
The Old Man

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 3

There has always been alternate OS's. My favorite was OS2/Warp. Big deal. Then again I can't help but wonder if the Linux & varient users will get behind this just because it's not an MS product, or will it drain off like Lindows.
Old 07-08-09, 10:56 AM   #6
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

my prediction... it will never catch on...
Old 07-08-09, 12:18 PM   #7
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8139711.stm

Two questions on my mind:

1. Is it compatible with Windows-software and sims designed for Windows OS?
No. It's a Linux distribution backed by Google essentially. Going after netbooks (at first) for the most part.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 05:58 PM   #8
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Google OS Hell i'll give it a try if/when it comes out.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 07:06 PM   #9
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Not to be used on gaming machines.

Its going to be a linux based kernel - which alone would kill most gaming. Plus its going to be a stripped version (easy to modify kernels in Linux) that will be geared to pretty much not do anything but handle the tasks a netbook does - which is surf the net.

There will be no gaming ability on the box in contrast to a windows OS. Sure you could play browser based games - but thats going to be it. No 3d graphix, minimal onboard processing, etc.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-09, 07:33 PM   #10
Fincuan
Admiral

Even at the moment gaming is pretty much the only reason why many home users stick to Windows. A good linux-distro easily tops Windowses in every other aspect, but they still just won't do very well in gaming use despite the recent advances. MS Office compatibility is another big issue for many, mainly in work related use, since while Openoffice is very good on its own it's not truly compatible with MS's suite.
Old 07-08-09, 09:07 PM   #11
Rilder
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Even at the moment gaming is pretty much the only reason why many home users have computers.
I had to fix up your post a bit there.

Also, Google sure is getting stronger and stronger, Hopefully they form a political party next, then I might have a reason to vote.
Old 07-09-09, 04:57 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilder View Post
I had to fix up your post a bit there.

Also, Google sure is getting stronger and stronger, Hopefully they form a political party next, then I might have a reason to vote.

What party would that be? "Big Brothers"?
Old 07-10-09, 09:11 AM   #13
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Even at the moment gaming is pretty much the only reason why many home users stick to Windows.
I'd have to wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. I could buy familiarity though, and software support, etc. Linux, while having many advantages such as a lot of free software, is and probably always will be too foreign and extremely hard to use as compared to Windows. What Windows user that tries Linux knows a damn thing about going out and finding libraries, or modifying the kernel, or even knows what the hell a module is? Windows users don't worry about proper libraries and which damn version you are running to make something work, while breaking compatibility for something else....

What Windows user will want to use a command line to get something accomplished? Even to this day, many things in Linux require a command line.

The point being, while I love Linux, it is faarrrrrrrrrrrrr from making much of a dent into the desktop market outside a cheap web based OS for netbooks. Even these cheap netbooks have been returned in droves for ones that run XP. I read an article the other day about this very fact.

Anyway, I don't see Microsoft getting surplantted by Linux in the next 10 years at least. Probably longer. Especially if they make a product like Windows 7 where everyone is frothing at the mouth to get it.

Anyways - I have to root here - You are not a man unless you can run Gentoo with a stage 1 developers install customized to your own hardware and with integrated LVM support! LVM is the bomb!

-S
Old 07-10-09, 11:49 AM   #14
Fincuan
Admiral

Ahh Subman you're thinking ten years back or using too much of the "advanced user" stuff. After my recent OS installation roulette(Windows 7 beta build 7000, Windows 7 RC1, Ubuntu and Xubuntu) I did find the Linuxes quite a bit easier to install and set-up than Win7. Granted Win7 is still not final, but it should be pretty close to it by now. Out-of-the box the Linuxes were definitely more ready than Windowses, with better drivers for my hardware and more necessary software. In the distant past I used to tweak the OS quite a lot and compile my own kernels, but nowadays I just can't bother with it. The less micromanaging the better, after all the OS should serve the user and not the other way around.
Old 07-10-09, 06:09 PM   #15
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

I agree with Subman. While I love my Ubuntu install, a lot of command line stuff is required and that just doesn't appeal to the average user. But hey...My first OS was MS DOS.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote