SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-21-12, 10:47 PM   #316
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan_Phillips View Post
Wow, you lot really know how to overreact.
Thank you. We try.
Old 05-21-12, 11:26 PM   #317
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Thank you. We try.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-12, 10:33 PM   #318
LemonA
Lieutenant

Downloads: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbygneus View Post
I only regret you wouldnt have option commanding destroyer. Sub chaser vs submarine type of multiplayer game would be
It would be interesting
LemonA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 07:26 AM   #319
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

They have adjusted the speed now in a new screenshot
Old 05-23-12, 09:40 AM   #320
kapitan_zur_see
Commodore

Downloads: 60

just checked it out... they did, really! lol
On second note, though, they also left the old one with incorrect speeds...
Means two funny things at least: They are monitoring subsim.com carefully it seems, as they reacted quite fast

And second, they obviously wants to appeal to us and reassure us whilst not letting down more "casual" stuffs to appeal to others, I guess.

kapitan_zur_see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 10:06 AM   #321
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapitan_zur_see View Post
just checked it out... they did, really! lol
On second note, though, they also left the old one with incorrect speeds...
Means two funny things at least: They are monitoring subsim.com carefully it seems, as they reacted quite fast

And second, they obviously wants to appeal to us and reassure us whilst not letting down more "casual" stuffs to appeal to others, I guess.

So all they did was post a pic of the same boat with the twinkie items,skills or whatever removed to make us think that it was "corrected". I am far from impressed. The boost items exist and that is too much for me. No Type II modified or not should compete with a Type XXI for performance.

However, I do agree that they want the community's endorsement pretty bad.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-12, 10:17 AM   #322
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapitan_zur_see View Post
They are monitoring subsim.com carefully it seems, as they reacted quite fast
No I think they only monitoring their own Facebook page.
In the German version of the Facebook page, a user has written about the wrong speeds in his comment and today the same user commented more errors in the new screenshot
Old 05-23-12, 05:29 PM   #323
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeadler View Post
No I think they only monitoring their own Facebook page.
In the German version of the Facebook page, a user has written about the wrong speeds in his comment and today the same user commented more errors in the new screenshot
That's my understanding/hunch too.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 09:44 PM   #324
minispace
Watch

Downloads: 24

Does the flotilla management screen remind anybody else of the garage from World of Tanks? I wonder if the new SHO will follow that game's model where you can maintain a collection of vehicles and can pick which one you want to take into a battle, or in this case a patrol(?). Some kind of PvP would be a great addition to the game but that would definitely require player control of some kind of surface ships, so it probably won't happen. Too bad.
Old 05-25-12, 07:41 AM   #325
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

Yeah, the twinks are really troubling. Smells of SH5 when you were able to magically upgrade torpedoes and the like to cause more damage.

Any word whether this game ends in 1943? And will we get to gather armor shards from battleships we sink and turn them in to the local Kiel Warbringer for sub buffs? Will the Trinity be in effect? Will there be Tanks, Healers and DPS submarines?

Okay, I'm being facetious, I admit it. As I said previously I hope the game is a huge success for people who want to play it. But I have seen nothing to convince me it's geared toward hardcore simmers. Which is fine. But don't post pictures of a twinked out MMO submarine and then say the game is for simmers....

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 01:55 PM   #326
minett
Watch

Downloads: 160

free maybe but if its going to be arcade based to draw in the wider gaming audience then add ons etc will probs cost and probs lack realism which is what these series of games are normally based on

Would prefer them to fix a game in sh5 that they rushed and released far to soon full of bugs and without the mods on here is a massive epic fail of what could of been a awesome game , imo of coarse guys

minett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-12, 10:04 PM   #327
Siegfried von Funk
Watch

Downloads: 117

Without reading EVERY post here, it sounds like SH5 STILL needs a stake through the heart.
Old 07-04-12, 09:31 AM   #328
RAM
Helmsman

Downloads: 66

Ok, I'll chime in and give some thoughts. Guess it'd be a long post.

-As for today I still play SH3 and SH4. Games I bought in the moment they were released, and games I had some terrible DRM issues with to the point that I wasn't even able to play SH4 for a whole month after purchasing it.

-Both sims were on the brink of being unplayable when released, with a lot of bugs and prominent UI/gameplay missing features.

-Both sims were officially dropped by Ubisoft before they were anywhere near completed. Once they got the feeling the cow was milked enough, and that sales wouldn't really make them richer, they pulled the plug alltogether and good ridance.

-Both sims I still play because from being almost unplayable stock they have turned into absolute jewels and impressive experience thanks to the modding community.

-The true, absolute and total true is that if the Silent Hunter series has had the success it has had as a franchise is because a handful of totally selfless individuals who undertook (repeatedly in each game iteration) the HUGE task of developing mods. And not minor mods to fix or tweak minor stuff... actual monster-sized mods that totally changed the way the game looked like, sounded like, played like. Go and compare SH3 stock or with GWX3 or NYGM mega-mods. They're totally different experiences to the point to say that SH3 was a GAME (and barely enjoyable or playable, at that), yet SH3 with either of those mods is as close as a WWII submarine simulation as you can get given the frameworks and limits imposed by the code.

-To state what I said avobe in short words: the only reason SH series has been a sucesfull franchise has been the modding community. Plain and simple. Without it I highly doubt SH would've made past SH3, much less SH4.

-as a corolary of the above mentioned statement, one must conclude that the only thing UBI has done for the SH series has been hiring developer teams to create (or in fact, evolve, because SH3 and SH4 are just evolutions or iterations with different scenario settings) the game framework just to sell it and get cash from it, to then pull the plug ASAP and move forward to some other milking-cow project. What has made this series what it is and what has made SH succesful, again, has been the mods. Not the publisher (by far) nor the developers (who I get the feeling have the same reason to be "happy" with ubisoft as we do). THe mods.

-Enter SH5. What they did with that was just unspeakable of. I don't need to mention the reasons, we all know about them here. But then again a bassically flawed simulation with a bassically flawed implementation of an otherwise interesting concept that was utter, total and unfathomable crap on release has been turned into an actually pretty decent, enjoyable sim. By whom?. The modders. All the developers did (all Ubisoft let them do before pulling the plug) was release two patches that did help solving some of the most embarrasing stuff but let the game almost as flawed in 1.2 as it was in 1.0.

-Now we hear of SHO. A MMO game based in a web browser (?). In other words, an UNMODDABLE game per definition. So they're just let the whole reason SH series has been succesfull -ergo, the modders- out of the equation, and we're left in the open, so we can just take what the developers give us (under the ever-prying eyes of the always too-happy-to-pull-the-plug UBISOFT) and deal with it wether we like or not.

-And we get a guy here who tells us to blame the publisher, but not punish the developers for it. While I sympathize with them, dude, sorry, but if you sign a contract with the devil, expect the worst. If you accepted a contract with one of the most outrageously insensitive publishers in the market at anything related to community interaction, you're subjected to go through what you're going here. Noone believes in UBISOFT, hence noone here believes in a game developed under their control area. You sign with an unreliable publisher, you reap the results of what -THEY- have sown for years now. It's inevitable.

-even more inevitable when all those who have made this series what it is now (peaking at SH3/SH4) are a bunch of dedicated guys who are totally left out of the project and will be handcuffed to solve or tweak any mess the developers WILL (and I don't say "might", I say WILL, and I have plenty of prededents to say so, the least of those not being the fact that the whole web-browser concept is bollocks and uncapable of dealing with all the things a proper U-boat subsim shold be able to do) do out of this game.

See, here's a plan to a viable MMO based on the Silent hunter series. Ubisoft should take notes because is the only freakin' way I'm going to fire up anything related with SH published under that brand EVER AGAIN.

-contract a good game developer

-give them SH3/SH4 source code

-Hire the services of all those, or at least the most prominent amongst those, who made GWX/NYGM/TMO/OM/etc. megamods for those games, and those who've shown utter brilliance in turning SH5 from a stinking pile of steaming turd into an actually enjoyable game (Trevally, TDW, Sober, etc...list is long as heck).

-give them a free ticket to get the SH3/SH4 iteration to be able to work into a MMO-iteration, and to work out the details of a WORKABLE, REALISTIC, POLISHED, ---SIMULATION--- multiplayer experience.

-get in the most interesting parts of SH5 (ability to first-person navigate into the submarine), get rid of all its stupid concepts (RPG interaction other than for flavor, magical skills, stupid missions, etc)

-Include some interesting concepts that MMO allow for that aren't workable for offline simulators in (The only thing that has never been implemented in the SH even by the most thorough modding attempts series was...? you guessed, WOLFPACKS!)

-Release the game as a work in progress (fully enjoyable as released, with the promise and perspective for the user of A LOT of new, brilliant, stuff coming integrated into the game as time passes by), cash in a retail ammount of money and then implement a balanced monthly fee to cover costs and make a decent profit out of it.

-Commit SERIOUSLY to the project. I for once wouldn't trust any MMO-related stuff with ubisoft because I know how happy pull-the-plug they are, so there should be some legal compromise in the EULA about a proper promise of supporting the project and development at least for a couple years.

WHO in this forum, WHO, in a mature player target audience interested in serious naval subsims, wouldn't pay at least a monthly 15$ for -THAT-?.

Instead we get a web browser travesty, and depend on the good will of Ubisoft to turn it into- FIRST- a real sub simulator, SECOND- an enjoyable one, and THIRD- one that will last for more than 6 months before they pull the plug.

Sorry, free or not, this BS I'm not trying.

PS: and for the record I'll insist: if the developers wanted to be received with another mindset from the community they should never have done a deal with ubisoft in the first place, and never have accepted such a STUPID, conceptually flawed, implementation for a WWII U-boat based simulator released under the Silent Hunter brand. You signed the deal, now deal with the SERIOUS subsim community not wanting to give UBISOFT a try, nor wanting to deal with an horrendous idea and implementation.

In other words, don't blame us for not wanting to deal with the BS that will inevitably come out of it. Blame the guy who signed over the dots with Ubisoft.

That's all I have to say about the topic. Sorry about the brickwall text I just wrote...I'm just infuriated by UBISOFT, how they treated the franchise and how they ignore the guys who filled their pockets with cash. The modders.

Last edited by RAM; 07-04-12 at 10:26 AM.
RAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 04:19 PM   #329
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

RAM, you're just venting what a lot of us already feel about this company and the way it treats customers. No need to apologize.

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 07:39 AM   #330
Dive! Dive! Dive!
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 50

We have a mind reader on SUBSIM! That is pretty much what I feel about SHO and probably the majority of people on the site!