Old 04-19-21, 02:39 PM   #3511
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

For all of you English chaps ...
I didn't know you had that many National Parks in the UK
Have you visited them?

Ran into this fact when Win 10 opened this morning with an image from one of your parks:

Quote:
Honister Pass is a mountain pass in the English Lake District.

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=honister...22&FORM=EMSDS0
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-21, 07:20 AM   #3512
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The Lake District is a great place to visit and the Honister Pass is a 'must drive'

Only problem with the Lakes is the weather, beautiful when sunny but the exact opposite when subject to what is often torrential downpours.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-21, 10:22 AM   #3513
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default Yellowhammer

I took this one today as he sat in Moira's crab apple tree
Old 04-24-21, 11:13 AM   #3514
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

/\ Does Moira know how to do canning? My mom used to make crabapple jam; my wife just made me 12 jars of marmalade from the neighbor's orange tree; and our raspberry jam from our own raspberries goes over very well with the neighbors awaiting their annual jam ration! Canning day is always a big do in our remodelled kitchen! The neighbors are generous and I've got gleaning privileges on any number of trees that would otherwise go to waste-and the donor always gets a jar or his own produce!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-21, 04:43 PM   #3515
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Yes, she makes fruit cheeses rather than what we call jam (you call it Jelly) and wines, also chutneys but she doesn't do so much nowadays. She just said that while making her last chutney she fell asleep and burned it (probably too much home made wine)
Old 04-26-21, 05:27 PM   #3516
Sonny Sanford
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Quote:
"I guess I am a grandfather again. This morning at 5:54 am Murphy Andrew was born. He weighed 7lbs 9oz. Murphy and mom Riley are doing great. We made a quick trip to Halifax this morning and will be here when the little guy gets home tomorrow.

Everybody is pretty excited."
I'm a little late to the party (I haven't been online in quite a while), but congratulations, u crank! Indeed, amongst all the craziness in the world right now, there are these little miracles.

So anyway, what did I do in real life today? Watched a couple more 90's movies with the kids, worked on my truck, mounted those new tires from 4WheelOnline I bought a few weeks ago, and even cooked lunch for today.
Sonny Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-21, 02:06 AM   #3517
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Yes, she makes fruit cheeses rather than what we call jam (you call it Jelly) and wines, also chutneys but she doesn't do so much nowadays. She just said that while making her last chutney she fell asleep and burned it (probably too much home made wine)
We call jelly Gelée (sometimes without accent), it is usually more or less transparent, while marmalade (Marmelade) is usually thick with fruits and has another consistence. So jam and marmalade are not the same in english? Or does it depend on the region?
We also "produce" some marmalade and Gelee, and exchange it or give it as presents to others. Usually we get alot more than we like.. i almost eat none of it, too sweet. I do like the slightly bitter orange marmalade by Wilkins or Koo though.
Since we sometimes get oranges directly from Sicily or Mallorca i wondered whether i could make some bitter one myself

Thinking of Moira i am sure she also loves fruitcakes ..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-21, 02:34 AM   #3518
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish
Since we sometimes get oranges directly from Sicily or Mallorca i wondered whether i could make some bitter one myself

Thinking of Moira i am sure she also loves fruitcakes ..
No wonder u guys lost WWII; nuthin' really jelled and u got in a serious jam! My neighbor's oranges are very sweet; so I do add a little lemon to the purèe to give it it's piquantness. And quit picking on poor ol' Eich! were all fruitcakes here at !!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 04-27-21 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-27-21, 05:45 AM   #3519
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

@ Catfish: Marmalade is what we call any 'jam' preserve made with citrus fruits. If it's made using other fruits such as strawberries blackcurrants, raspberries etc, then we call it Jam. Fruit Cheeses are made from sieved cooked fruit pulp and different from jam

Yes, it's confusing. No wonder I am nuts
Old 04-27-21, 06:29 AM   #3520
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
No wonder u guys lost WWII; nuthin' really jelled and u got in a serious jam! My neighbor's oranges are very sweet; so I so add a little lemon to the purèe to give it it's piquantness. And quit picking on poor ol' Eich! were all fruitcakes here at !!
I did never lose WW2 You are comparing apples to citrus fruits, time-wise
I did not mean harm by "picking" on Eich, if there's any fruitcake here it's me

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-21, 08:03 AM   #3521
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

He knows you were only kidding me, mate
Old 05-05-21, 03:39 PM   #3522
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default Moira found some old photos today...

And here I am sitting in DC outside the Smithsonian in the summer of '82. I was there with a woman, too

Old 05-05-21, 04:40 PM   #3523
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Off to get my '05 Toyota Corolla's driverside mirror replaced. Someone 'clacked' mirrors in passing my parked ride yesterday, leaving the plastic housing intact on the car body but springing the mirror out/off from its movemotor. (It'll make a great shave mirror)...the cost, after trying futiley to replace the mirror to the motor...$316.47!!! not incl. the car dealer's install mechanic's charge.

Last edited by Aktungbby; 05-05-21 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-08-21, 12:01 AM   #3524
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Icon9 The boys an their toys

/\ which came to an additional $190. Additional previously unnoticed scrape damage to front bumper indicates someone probably backed into the very front left corner of me, with very minor paint damage and black plastic bumper scrapes to an already battered but reliable old patrol '05 Corolla...causing the mirror to simply pop out of its undamaged housing. That mirror is vital to an old road warrior; two days of driving to the marina to tape, & paint boat trim stripes (2 coats)was tedious and sore neck inducing: having to look over the left shoulder to do lane changes w/o the mirror! My boat captain just laughed-while appling #4 coat of teak trim varnish to the Catalina's cockpit trim- his '96 Mazda Miata mirror ran him $600!

Old 05-12-21, 12:03 PM   #3525
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
I've seen my wife at work with a chisel. You know... a chisel, one of those things you use to prise screws out if a screwdriver doesn't work
I started tidying my shed today and pulled out some half empty paint cans. I checked the contents and what did I find inside when I opened one of them? A brush... left inside and the lid replaced ... who on earth would have done that?