SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-28-10, 12:40 AM   #1
ShadowOps
Mate

Downloads: 73
Uploads: 0
Problems with trying to load missions

Hello, I have SH3 with GWX3 and SH3 Commander. I love playing it but recently I cant load any Single Missions, or anything at all. When I try to load a mission the loading bar will go normal up until maybe an inch from being finished. After it reaches this point it just freezes and whenever I try to bring up the task bar it will show up for maybe half a second then the frozen screen will pop back up without me doing anything. I can either mix keys (ALT + TAB) and (CTRL + ALT + DELETE) to stop the screen from coming back up, or just wait until it brings up "PROGRAM NOT RESPONDING".

Whats really odd is that the program doesnt freeze, in the task bar it still says its running, but just the bar freezes. Help me! I miss the satisfaction you get when you take down a 2kton freighter. Also I have recently tried my hand at mission making, and if I can get my game working I want to upload in the future but for now this dilemma has stopped me because I cant test!
:d amn::dam n:
ShadowOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 01:05 AM   #2
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Are you waiting long enough? Load times can get upto 15 minutes or more on some machines.

I'd disable all active mods except GWX and SHC, and see if it loads. If It does, add them back one at a time until it freezes up. Yeah, that'll take a few hours at least, probably a couple days real time if you have a bunch of mods.

If you are just running GWX and SHC, then try loading something and wait a while, if it doesn't load after 15 minutes or so, go to bed or work or something. Sometimes a program may just need some time to power through a problem it's encountering. If it still hasn't loaded after a few hours, well then.... I dunno.

You may need to reinstall SH3 and all the mods. While it may be a pain, it's worth it for the quality of game/sim we have here.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-10, 01:28 AM   #3
ShadowOps
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Are you waiting long enough? Load times can get upto 15 minutes or more on some machines.

I'd disable all active mods except GWX and SHC, and see if it loads. If It does, add them back one at a time until it freezes up. Yeah, that'll take a few hours at least, probably a couple days real time if you have a bunch of mods.

If you are just running GWX and SHC, then try loading something and wait a while, if it doesn't load after 15 minutes or so, go to bed or work or something. Sometimes a program may just need some time to power through a problem it's encountering. If it still hasn't loaded after a few hours, well then.... I dunno.

You may need to reinstall SH3 and all the mods. While it may be a pain, it's worth it for the quality of game/sim we have here.
I do only use GWX and SHC. I also enable some of the smaller mods that come with GWX with JSGME. I did leave the game on for about 10 minutes but any time its on too long it will bring up the error message I mentioned. I will try removing everything from JSGME and see if that helps.
Old 11-28-10, 01:42 AM   #4
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

It reads like you are try to tab onto the program, or CAD'ing it. Just let it run. your OS will think it's not responding because it's deep in thought, and the program will not respond to any queries the OS sends it.

Old 11-28-10, 02:17 AM   #5
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Also, you may try upping the priority of the SH3 process: (works on XP, not sure if it's still the same on Vista/7)

1) Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete
2) Tab over on task manager to Processes
3) Find the SH3.exe, I usually sort by Mem Usage.
4) Right click that process
5) Click Set Priority
6) Set it to Above normal, or High. (I hesitate to recommend Real Time as it may (will) cause issues with the OS trying to operate normally)

This will help speed up the game a bit.

Old 11-28-10, 04:56 AM   #6
ShadowOps
Mate

Thanks for all the help Gargamel but I got it working like normal again.
Old 11-28-10, 04:43 PM   #7
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Well what was the issue in case others run into the same thing?

Old 11-28-10, 06:12 PM   #8
ShadowOps
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Well what was the issue in case others run into the same thing?
Im not too sure honestly, I just deactivated all of the smaller mods from GWX in JSGME and now its running fine. Now I am adding them back slowly to see which ones were giving me problems.

Tags
assistance needed, freezing, problem