SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-25-20, 09:38 AM   #826
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fousek View Post
Hello,

i am enjoying FoTRS a lot.

Still i would be happy if i could start a fun game where i can choose lets say the german SUBS. Especialy the Type XVIII or simmiliar to that sub.

Is it possible ?

Also is there a way how i can start win any kind of sub at the beggining of the game ?

Thank you
unfortunately, no, there is no way you can start a career with any sub.
also, FOTRSU is a US Pacific mod. if you want to play the German-Pacific side, it is probably best to play SH4 UBM 1.5 Gold Edition right out of the box.

SH4 is programmed with multiple career entry points based on Date then Home Port then, possibly, Boat-Type.

Dark Waters is a mega mod for those who want to play a German side with SH4. you can drive various German subs in Norwegian, Baltic, Med, Black Sea, as well as the SW Asia and the Atlantic. check it out. but i suggest that you play UBM 1.5 Stock for a while before you dive into Dark Waters.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=243322

Good Luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-20, 10:56 AM   #827
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Downloads: 64
Uploads: 0

How do i get this to activate in my steam version of the game please?

cheers
Deepseadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-20, 11:08 AM   #828
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Same as any other vendor's version of the game. #1, you do NOT want to be in a "Program Files" directory, including as in the Steam default install of "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific". You will have to have a separate Steam Library folder. I re-did my Steam installs to be "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \Common \Silent Hunter..." Refer to "Moving a Steam Installation and Games" on the Steam Support site for more info on moving. You also have to use Large Address Aware (LAA), which is in the FotRSU download, as is MultiSH4, which will help with multiple copies of SH4 on the same computer. All you'll need initially is a copy of 7-Zip to extract the package in the MODS folder of your game install, and then use JSGME to activate it. Once activated, be sure and empty the Save folder (generally "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" unless you've moved it) by deleting "Data" and everything below it. Start the game, use the Options menu to set your gameplaying choices and to set your screen resolution to what Windows is set to, exit the game and then re-start it, and all of those settings should then be applied, and ready for you to do some "testing" in...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 04-27-20 at 01:35 PM. Reason: linkie binkie
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-20, 12:20 PM   #829
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Same as any other vendor's version of the game. #1, you do NOT want to be in a "Program Files" directory, including as in the Steam default install of "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific". You will have to have a separate Steam Library folder. I re-did my Steam installs to be "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \Common \Silent Hunter..." Refer to "Moving a Steam Installation and Games" on the Steam Support site for more info on moving. You also have to use Large Address Aware (LAA), which is in the FotRSU download, as is MultiSH4, which will help with multiple copies of SH4 on the same computer. All you'll need initially is a copy of url=https://www.7-zip.org]7-Zip[/url] to extract the package in the MODS folder of your game install, and then use JSGME to activate it. Once activated, be sure and empty the Save folder (generally "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" unless you've moved it) by deleting "Data" and everything below it. Start the game, use the Options menu to set your gameplaying choices and to set your screen resolution to what Windows is set to, exit the game and then re-start it, and all of those settings should then be applied, and ready for you to do some "testing" in...
Thanks for help.
How can i know i know if its actually acivated in game? Nothing appears to say this is FOTRS.
Old 04-26-20, 01:45 PM   #830
propbeanie

That says "not activated correctly". You should see an FotRSU splash screen, similar to what is below in my "signature" here for SubSim, only now with red lettering. De-activate the mod, and look in the Support fo lder of the mod for a pdf "ActivatingFOTRSU.pdf", or the more in-depth "Install Notes For the Various Versions of SH4 in Windows.pdf". It's tough to say whether you might be installed in an incorrect folder, or maybe didn't empty the Save folder, or didn't activate the LAA on SH4.exe file correctly, or maybe just have a double directory. To check for the last there, in your Silent Hunter folder, open the MODS folder, and then open the "100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.004a_EN " folder, and if there is another of the same name below that level, that would be the trouble. If you have that, you probably used the Microsoft archive tool to extract the files. Inside that 2nd FotRSU folder, use <Ctrl><A> to Select All, then use <Ctrl><X> to "cut" the files, then go up one folder level, and use <Ctrl><V> to paste them all in to the upper FotRSU folder. Once they've all copied over, then delete the lower-level FotRSU folder, and activate the mod again. Just be sure and empty that Save folder again.

Old 04-26-20, 03:52 PM   #831
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Quote:
That says "not activated correctly". then use <Ctrl><X> to "cut" the files, then go up one folder level, and use <Ctrl><V> to paste them all in to the upper FotRSU folder. Once they've all copied over, then delete the lower-level FotRSU folder, and activate the mod again. Just be sure and empty that Save folder again.

I do not get the splash screen so its not correctly activated. I installed the steam version of the game onto my F drive.

I then used JSGMe to activate it. But obviously thats not correct.

I will try again.
Old 04-26-20, 04:34 PM   #832
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

So i managed to install the mod. The splashcreen shows the mod FOTRS Ultimate v104a is activated.

However, there are no single missions, no sub school and no war patrols to try is that correct ?

Uboat and Fleetboat are accessible though.

When i try to start the game in career mode i get a ''No Mission Too Difficult'' message on a black screen and then screen and mouse cursor are frozen. Then the fllowing...

Data/Shaders/VolumtreicFog/VolumtreicFogPS.fx

DepthRenderVS

Unkown error

DepthRenderPS

Unkown error

I can only get out by shutting down my pc.. i cannot get into task manager to close SH4 that way.

I set the display ingame to 1920x1080x60ghz

Last edited by Deepseadiver; 04-26-20 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-26-20, 04:51 PM   #833
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepseadiver View Post
So i managed to install the mod. The splashcreen shows the mod FOTRS Ultimate v104a is activated.

However, there are no single missions, no sub school and no war patrols to try is that correct ?

Uboat and Fleetboat are accessible though.

When i try to start the game in career mode i get a ''No Mission Too Difficult'' message on a black screen and then screen and mouse cursor are frozen. Then the fllowing...

Data/Shaders/VolumtreicFog/VolumtreicFogPS.fx

DepthRenderVS

Unkown error

DepthRenderPS

Unkown error

I can only get out by shutting down my pc.. i cannot get into task manager to close SH4 that way.

I set the display ingame to 1920x1080x60ghz
You have to "Change Sides" on the Single Missions screen, or on the War Patrols screen, then you will see the US scenarios there. I do not understand why Ubi added the Uboats, but only from 1943, and with minimal content... oh well.

As for what you see once you go into the game, that sounds like an issue with the version of the game. Did you start the game with the Steam "Uboats..." shortcut? That is the v1.5 of the game, and is a requirement of the mod. Even though you are playing the US Pacific, like the Single Missions, you have to use the correct short-cut... "oh bother" says Pooh Bear... but that's the way Steam apparently did their menu...

Old 04-27-20, 03:28 PM   #834
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Please update the 'Known Issues' PDF to include the solution for the All Stop engines at game start and the sub not going to its planed route. If you think you can just set standard speed and issue the order to 'Continue route', well, NO, you are wrong, the sub still goes to full stop. I still don't know another solution but to order a new course for the sub and then - after some savant time - to tell him to return to the planed course, but this doesn't work all the time.

Whatever solution anyway, it's a good addition for the PDF file for sure.

Thanks,
XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-20, 08:29 PM   #835
propbeanie

It's already a "known issue" because it is the stock game. We usually use that designation in the mod documentation for things we have attempted to fix, or caused from something else. We could certainly add it in though...

The particular issue comes about from when you enter the scene from a Save load, and no matter what you had your telegraph set to or what route you have programmed in on the NavMap, the sub goes to "All Stop". My guess at the reason it does that, is because the helm no longer follows your set course when you reload a Save, if you have a course set. Hence, when you re-load a Save, you have to set the speed you want, go to the NavMap screen and "Return to course"... That's just the way they built the game. We cannot touch that as modders in a text-based file.

Old 04-27-20, 10:10 PM   #836
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
It's already a "known issue" because it is the stock game. We usually use that designation in the mod documentation for things we have attempted to fix, or caused from something else. We could certainly add it in though...

The particular issue comes about from when you enter the scene from a Save load, and no matter what you had your telegraph set to or what route you have programmed in on the NavMap, the sub goes to "All Stop". My guess at the reason it does that, is because the helm no longer follows your set course when you reload a Save, if you have a course set. Hence, when you re-load a Save, you have to set the speed you want, go to the NavMap screen and "Return to course"... That's just the way they built the game. We cannot touch that as modders in a text-based file.

Thanks Propbeanie, but as I said, your proposal - which is the same as I told above - will not work all the time unfortunately. When it doesn't work I have to be radical and delete all my waypoints, this works for sure. Next time I will try to delete only my first waypoint and hope it goes alright. If you simply set speed (without anything else) the sub will follow the waypoint but continue straight when reaching 1st waypoint.
If you want, I can complete the PDF and upload an updated version...I think that's worth the pain for future SH gamers. For that, I need to know the shortest solution that works.
The best I have found is in the TMO manual, page 46 and this issue is missing, (so btw my ignorance is fully excused I think). But I can add that part of TMO manual and your solution as a point 8) in a new PDF upload if you are sure it's a stock game issue.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 04-27-20 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-28-20, 06:58 AM   #837
propbeanie

You don't have to delete waypoints though. After loading a Save, just click the button [/\] for "Return to course" while on the NavMap screen and menu, and you should be golden, with the sub now following your previously input routing. You do, of course, have to hit a speed to travel at also, of course.

Old 04-28-20, 08:00 AM   #838
mikehcl
Mate

Downloads: 317

Hi, something (maybe) strange happened to me .. last night i finished the first mission, I went back to Midway and i checked if I had some new torpedo, radar etc etc and i didn't have any new updates. Now i have loaded the game to leave for the second patrol and i see that i have the torpedo mark 10 available, i exit the game again, i go back to the windows, i return to the game and i see that i have many new torpedo available, like mark 16, mark 18, mark 23, new surface and airborne radar, new decks, but is this normal?
Sorry for my english.
mikehcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 08:19 AM   #839
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehcl View Post
Hi, something (maybe) strange happened to me .. last night i finished the first mission, I went back to Midway and i checked if I had some new torpedo, radar etc etc and i didn't have any new updates. Now i have loaded the game to leave for the second patrol and i see that i have the torpedo mark 10 available, i exit the game again, i go back to the windows, i return to the game and i see that i have many new torpedo available, like mark 16, mark 18, mark 23, new surface and airborne radar, new decks, but is this normal?
Sorry for my english.
mike,
i have seen that before. in fact, i have learned to rely on it.
if i know that a significant date for new equipment is/has arrived, i will purposely save while in port on refit, exit, and restart/reload with the expectation of seeing the availability of new equipment, weapons, ammo, etc.
i suspect it is a flaw in the logic of date vs equipment vs GUI-presentation.
i don't mean to patronize but it is a known logic flaw with programming that it not designed and written correctly.
just know that it happens and be alert for it.
good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-20, 08:30 AM   #840
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
You don't have to delete waypoints though. After loading a Save, just click the button [/\] for "Return to course" while on the NavMap screen and menu, and you should be golden, with the sub now following your previously input routing. You do, of course, have to hit a speed to travel at also, of course.

Thanks again, yes, as you say you must be "while on the NavMap screen and menu"
Gosh, these details...I was just standing in the sub but didn't go in the map.

Greetings,
XS