SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-23-08, 12:08 PM   #1
Kojo62
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
DSRV AI?

I FINALLY figured out after trying and failing the "Save the Danes!" stock mission 3 times (Duh) that the friggin' DSRV AI is, um, pretty much broken, ain't it? (lol) I guess I should've come here and checked on that a little earlier, and I could've saved myself this fresh flat-spot that I've now permanently banged deep into my forehead.

It was highly entertaining, at least, watching all the ways that the rescue sub could invent to render my expert, pinpoint, under-ice seamanship totally in-vain after practically dropping them right on those poor Danes' doorstep each and every time. Who crews the DSRV, the Three Stooges?

The last one was the best, though, as it looked like they crashed directly into the Danish sub on approach, then sank straight to the bottom like a rock (100% damage after impact). But to their credit, that was at least a drastic improvement from their first two deployments, where they would just wander aimlessly after launch in every direction BUT the right one until the clock ran out. (lol)

Anyways, I just had to laugh AND vent at the same time. Thanks for indulging me.....

Just one question on that. Is there any chance that DSRV AI has been fixed in the Mod? I still haven't installed it yet, since I'm still learning the basic game. Just curious.
Kojo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 03:47 AM   #2
Stanny
Loader

Downloads: 0

Well,the manual of Sub Command stresses that it is crucially important to come to proper range within the downed submarine in order to launch a DSRV.DSRV AI might have troubles dealing with greater ranges.

My personal advice to you would be to drive your sub as close as possible to the downed submarine.

I would also advice you to install SCXIIC (from Sub Guru's website) as soon as possible,as guys fixed all possible bugs in there,as I have already mentioned in another thread.
Stanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 12:08 PM   #3
Kojo62
Swabbie

Thanks, Stanny. I was able to drive my boat pretty close to the Danes. But later I read in some older threads on this board that the DSRV doesn't work in this game. So I was just wondering if the Mod had since fixed that.
Old 02-24-08, 09:25 PM   #4
Kojo62
Swabbie

Nevermind. Mission finally accomplished ... somehow.

I couldn't find specific range information for the DSRV in the manual or the in-game USNI Reference. But I drove to within about 500-700 yards of the Danish sub, which was about the same distance as my previous attempt. But this time the DSRV found it and reported a successful coupling ... no collision! (lol)

Still one goofy thing, though. The DSRV track on my Navigation display showed that it did not find its way back to my sub, and instead it could be seen just doing the same aimless wandering thing it had done before when trying to find the Danes.

But after awhile, my XO reported the DSRV as returned, even though according to tracking, it didn't even come close. Whatever, I'm just glad I got credit for the mission.

So I navigated us back out of the ice cavern safely, and now it's on to the next lesson! Thanks for the encouragement, Stanny. I guess it was worth one more try.

I'll be getting my hands on that Mod soon, too. Might save me some of whatever wits I have left.
Old 02-25-08, 05:18 AM   #5
Stanny
Loader

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojo62
But after awhile, my XO reported the DSRV as returned, even though according to tracking, it didn't even come close
The estimated distance to any contact completely depends on how accurate your TMA firing solution is.You have to update it all the time,editing the speed read out using data from Sonar demon station.If there are any errors in TMA,you will get appropriately wrong ranges on your Nav and Fire control stations.

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement
You are welcome.
Stanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-08, 05:57 PM   #6
Kojo62
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojo62
But after awhile, my XO reported the DSRV as returned, even though according to tracking, it didn't even come close
The estimated distance to any contact completely depends on how accurate your TMA firing solution is.You have to update it all the time,editing the speed read out using data from Sonar demon station.If there are any errors in TMA,you will get appropriately wrong ranges on your Nav and Fire control stations.
Yes, I've learned that, and I've gotten pretty good with TMA. But the tracking I'm referring to is the automatic kind which comes up on your Nav after you launch an asset such as a torpedo, missile, or the DSRV. So I didn't have to update it or perform TMA myself. It always just starts up whenever the DSRV launches.

Maybe I could've tried the exercise of manually tracking it via tracker assignment, classification and TMA, just to compare, but I didn't bother at the time.

Thanks, again ... I'm finally installing the SCXIIc mod tonight, btw.