SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-16-08, 08:02 PM   #1
RodBorza
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default Realism on the Sims

I know it's been extensively discussed, but As I am arriving now I would like to know:
1) Which sim is the more "real" regarding operations, detection range, etc. Is it 688(i), SC or DW?
2) Can one take the campaign or the single missions from 688(i) and play it on SC?
3) Just got the DW demo. Very interesting. Should I get it? Would like to play air operations, is it good on the game?
RodBorza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 08:18 AM   #2
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

I think that SC with SCX is the most accurate. given what I have readed so far here and in other forums. This all is however just plain guessing in most aspects, since the REAL performance of submarines and their sensors is obviously classified stuff :hmm: Having said that, I think that DW with LWAMI offers a great gameplay and realism feel, and I have both SCX and DW side by side in the hard disk If you have to choose one and other considerations (Price, PC power...) don't matter, I would pick DW for the improved multiplayer and new platforms.
Old 01-17-08, 08:57 AM   #3
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

You can get DW for $10 or so nowadays and with LwAmi I think it outclasses it precursors (in terms of realism and simulation fidelity). To me the only "Advantage" SC with SCX2 has is the ability to "drive" more then the 3 default subs (and honestly, that is in my eyes definitly overrated because except for the 3D Modell there is no significant difference, but thats my opinion).

I'd say go with DW, you get more bang for the buck.
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 06:27 PM   #4
RodBorza
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 19

Ok, thanks!

I'll get DW then.
RodBorza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 01:12 PM   #5
Stanny
Loader

Downloads: 0
Well,that is a very interesting question for me too.I have got both Sub Command and Dangerous Waters,but still decided to go in for Sub Command with SCXIIC.

The reason of that was,that I really wanted to play a pure submarine simulation.
And Sub Command with SCXIIC suits all my needs just perfectly.

Dangerous Waters is a great simulation game either,but it is already a mixed one,while being purely naval,though.I am not very fancy of driving a frigate,or piloting an "Orion"-I just love submarines.

So,I think,that there is no better choice for the fans of modern nuclear submarines,than Sub Command SCXIIC.
Stanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 01:56 PM   #6
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9
I agree to disagree ... DW is all that SC is plus 4 more playable units. For the sub lovers there is an additional playable unit - the Kilo - and for those who wanna play something else besides subs there are alternatives. Just because DW has other units besides subs doesn't make it less of a sub sim. As I said before ... in a direct comparison of SC vs. DW, SC will always come up short. The only thing SC has going for it is the SCU which is part of the SCX2 package and again, as I said before, the usefulness and actual added benefit of that (SCU) is questionable (in my eyes). DW + LwAmi 3.08 (can't wait for v4.00) offers the same if not more realism then SC + SCX2. And as an added benefit, aside from LwAmi there are others who still invest time in developing for DW (Sakura Mod comes to mind).

I have the original SC (as well as the SCX2 package and all that) and of course DW ... guess which gets reinstalled when I have to format my HDD and which just sits on the shelf ... After I got the DW, the only reason and time when I had SC installed was when I made the new installer for the SCX2 package ... since then it got deleted from my HDD and I see no reason to install it again (DW + LwAmi 3.08 is installed tho).
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 02:51 PM   #7
Stanny
Loader

Downloads: 0
That's right,OneShot.

Dangerous Waters has also got some graphic benefits besides (more beautyfull sea water,for example).On the other side,system requirements are a bit higher than ones of Sub Command (for example,I am getting lower FPS on my notebook while playing DW,comparing with those I get on Sub Command).

However,I think that only more experienced players will feel the actual differences between Sub Command and Dangerous Waters.Both sims are really very serious and sophisticated,so it takes a quite reasonable time to learn how to play them.
Stanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 07:18 AM   #8
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

There are good and bad points about both games, for one with SCXII mods its just the same interface for diffrent bodied submarines, typhoon for example has akula interface and kilo also which knocks the realism.

DW has more playables to choose from but its kinda been abandoned by its creaters but it incorperates air and surface vessels which SCX and SC doesnt, and another good thing is on the submarines you get a limited bridge view. (meaning not alot there)

In all for overall comparison its nice to jump between the two on occassion, i have both and both are modded and when i want to fight norwiegens or other nations not on DW i just go to SC.

So well worth investment if you want to be upto date and also if you want more to choose from.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote