SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-10-08, 12:30 PM   #1
Kojo62
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Hello, new Sub Command player

Greetings all. I recently started playing Sub Command, and just wanted to say hello.

I've actually owned SC for a few years, having received it as a birthday gift. However, I initially could not find the time to put in to overcome the learning curve. I'd played several sub sims over the years, like 688 Attack Sub, Seawolf, even Gato on the old Mac Plus, but obviously nothing with this level of detail/realism.

So it went on the shelf until recently, and I now have finally been able to put in the time to at least comprehend the systems basics and move forward with the game. I'm glad I gave it another shot, as I find it very satisfying so far, even though I'm still pretty much a total polywog, tactically.

I'm still too green to post intelligent questions yet, but for now, I just wanted to say "Thanks" to everyone who contributes here, as just reading back through the threads have helped me a LOT in getting up to speed.

This is a great community.

Regards,
Kojo
Kojo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 02:28 PM   #2
Stanny
Loader

Downloads: 0
Hello and welcome to Subsim!

Sub Command is a great choice if you are interested in modern submarine warfare.I advice you to patch the game to 1.08 version and install the SCXIIC modification,as all this pushes this great game straight to the limit of submarine simulation.

Patch 1.08 is here:

http://www.sonalystscombatsims.com/g...downloads.html

And SCXIIC Mod can be downloaded from SubGuru's website:

http://www.subguru.com/downloads.html

Finally,my advice to you would be to turn off all autocrews and play with maximum settings of realism.Personally,the only helpful things I leave for myself are the 3D view,show dead platforms and show link data options,as well as fire control quick launch.The sooner you will start playing at most difficult settings,the bigger progress you will make,the more you will enjoy this simulation.

If you liked Sub Command,you might also want to try out Dangerous Waters.It features even more sophisticated submarine simulation,better graphics and more playable platforms.

Good hunting

Best regards,
Stan.
Stanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 03:46 PM   #3
Sub Sailor
Commander

Downloads: 66
Default Welcome

I wholly agree with Stanny about patching and modding SC, it is like having a new game and no harder to play.
I diverge with him as I tried with and without auto-crew and found it easier to learn with them. Simply different strokes for different folks-You can learn a lot from this site, subgroup, and others-tips, hints, and lots of user generated missions.
Don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any, everyone is great about rsponding, and seldom are there any negatives. Most of us do not believe that there are any dumb question, just dumb answers.

Good hunting and have fun,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
Sub Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 04:47 PM   #4
Kojo62
Swabbie

Thanks guys.

I do have the game patched already, and actually found that it would not even run on my Vista machine at all until it was fully patched to 1.08.

I had not installed the mod yet, mainly because I didn't know where to get it from, so thanks for the links, Stanny. I was also actually a bit afraid to try modding it until I got some more experience with the original game. But I do have SC installed on both my Vista laptop and my XP desktop gaming rig. So it might not be a bad idea to try out the mod on one of them.

I'm only using the Radar Auto Crew so far. My first priority was to focus on developing the Sonar->TMA->Fire Control skill set. But my goal is to ultimately learn the nuts and bolts of all of it myself. I'm a software engineer by trade, so I'm naturally a nuts & bolts type when it comes to systems.
Old 02-10-08, 05:58 PM   #5
sonar732
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojo62
Thanks guys.

I do have the game patched already, and actually found that it would not even run on my Vista machine at all until it was fully patched to 1.08.

I had not installed the mod yet, mainly because I didn't know where to get it from, so thanks for the links, Stanny. I was also actually a bit afraid to try modding it until I got some more experience with the original game. But I do have SC installed on both my Vista laptop and my XP desktop gaming rig. So it might not be a bad idea to try out the mod on one of them.

I'm only using the Radar Auto Crew so far. My first priority was to focus on developing the Sonar->TMA->Fire Control skill set. But my goal is to ultimately learn the nuts and bolts of all of it myself. I'm a software engineer by trade, so I'm naturally a nuts & bolts type when it comes to systems.
Don't use your radar at all as it will give away your position thru ESM.
sonar732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 06:00 PM   #6
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome to SUBSIM Kojo62

Enjoy your stay

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 02:28 AM   #7
Stanny
Loader

Downloads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojo62
Radar is almost useless equipment in SC,as enemy torpedo will be heading towards your sub just the next moment after you turn it on.If you have difficulties getting a strong sonar contact then surface to periscope depth,slower to 5 knots or so and raise an ESM mast.It will show you all radio and electronic communications in the area,bearings where signals are coming from,and sources (class names) of those signals.Make sure you do not accelerate faster then 5 knots or so,otherwise ESM mast will fail due to increased waterflow,as well as periscope and all other masts.

Other option maybe the usage of Sonar Active Intercept Display.If you tracking a surface group for instance,their pings will surely vector you to their location.

You are right,the core of SC gameplay are the Sonar,TMA and Fire Control operations.You simply should get used to switching constantly between this stations,in order to collect the most actual data on each contact.That is rather difficult,but it is worth doing so,you will get a feel of being a real nuclear attack submarine officer with time.

Best regards,
Stan.
Stanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 06:25 AM   #8
Sub Sailor
Commander

Downloads: 66
Default Stan is so right

In all my years on the boats, Radar was used only for entering and leaving port, I do recall once being used to locate a target drum or something for Radar drill.
The other seldom used is active Sonar.
Passive Sonar, TMA, and Active intercept will tell you a lot (I have a ping list developed for SC that I use a lot), and if you can the ESM Mast, will give you great information.
I play with the scope but it seems Helicopters are always around in they will detect it. Really used often in rescuing downed pilots and picking up Seals.
Never, Never, cavitate in SC, AI will react to that, try the first stock mission see how fast and cavitate, and ASW air plane, that is miles off will home on you right now.

Welcome to SC,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
Sub Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 06:55 PM   #9
Kojo62
Swabbie

Thanks all. Being a long-time sub enthusiast, I pretty much already knew that using radar is not a good idea. (Didn't know if it would come up later as something I'd be forced to use in a particular mission, though.) Therefore, not something I am concentrating on for now as I continue to learn the game. I'm content to leave it to my auto crewman should I suddenly need it.

All the tips are much appreciated, though.

I'll no doubt have many questions of my own posted soon. But there's such a wealth of info around here, that I'm still figuring out what I don't know, while assimilating all that I've read and learned so far. :hmm: