SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-17-17, 11:09 AM   #1351
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

I'm no expert, someone else might be able to explain that (maybe some other element in my pc's set-up or software which favours the games). It's a laptop but it has an i5 processor... maybe that's got something to do with it.
Old 11-17-17, 09:52 PM   #1352
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

A light day of sailing with the new repainted hull. Since the yard had pulled and restepped the mast to redo some electric cabling inside the mast; As a result, the mast's wire standing-rigging was a little too tight tension-wise; so using a tension gauge (three cables on each side plus fore and aft stays) we carefully and methodically lightened the wires' tension settings. This involves de-cotterpining the turnbuckles holding the shroud wires to the deck and loosening the bolts to the desired tension using the gauge-in 'tuning the boat's wires' much like WWI airplane rigger. Bad rigging can have serious consequences. https://theriggingco.com/2017/01/21/how-to-tune-a-sailboat-mast/ The winds were very light, so full 150% jib and not too much pressure on the shrouds... ie the mast did not fall over! Considering we usually have a professionl rigger for this, as mast collapses can be fatal, we managed to get the job done properly.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 11:50 PM   #1353
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I remember tuning the rig on our Peterson 44. With ol' Ivar Dedekam's instruction in hand I went about tuning the rig at the dock then at sea under sail to get it just right.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 06:13 AM   #1354
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
I'm no expert, someone else might be able to explain that (maybe some other element in my pc's set-up or software which favours the games). It's a laptop but it has an i5 processor... maybe that's got something to do with it.
Me neither, pc's seem to take on a life of their own regarding what they like or dislike.

I spoke to my tech guy yesterday teatime and he reckons the processors are very similar (mines an i7), speed and capacity to multi-task being the main difference.

I'm currently thinking about a dual OS.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 07:53 AM   #1355
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Resting up for the next big stint and a very late night.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 07:55 AM   #1356
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30

Sneezing my head off. Thank you, November, for your service.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 09:10 AM   #1357
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I remember tuning the rig on our Peterson 44. With ol' Ivar Dedekam's instruction in hand I went about tuning the rig at the dock then at sea under sail to get it just right.
Peterson 44?

That's one nice sailboat ... the largest one I have been on was a Morgan 51 doing 10kts in light air.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 09:25 AM   #1358
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Icon10

I have just had a really good laugh at this...

Quote:
‘Worst snow since 1991,’ according to man who reads thousand-year-old moon charts
http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/18/worst-...harts-7089048/

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 10:34 AM   #1359
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Peterson 44?

That's one nice sailboat ... the largest one I have been on was a Morgan 51 doing 10kts in light air.
Yep that's the model built in 1979 Yu Ching boatyard Formosa. We sold her last July to a young couple wanting to live aboard and cruise.

Old 11-18-17, 10:37 AM   #1360
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:

We didn't exactly have a manual but two guys on our quay have done this-including our live-aboard crewmate ; so it was a group effort...I'll confine myself to bicycle wheel spoke adjustments in the future. We lost a guy last year when his mast collapsed on him in a 'beer-can race'... and I always think worst case scenario! Oddly, I was the one who noted the stays seemed 'awfully stiff' w/o the usual 1 in. of play when we got the boat back down the to our marina from the refit. The stays are a year old as one had frayed a while back, with a few wire strands unraveling, so we had the whole boat redone by a pro rigger.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 07:04 PM   #1361
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

I'm scared to death of heights but after watching a professional rigger inspect my gear, seeing the cost and not able to get a definitive answer. I decided to do it myself, forever more. Saved a buttload of money learned a lot, I always knew first hand what was going on up there too.

I had a keel stepped mast and one day I took my cap shrouds and stays down for replacement. All I had holding the mast up was the lower shrouds and the main sheet to stabilize it over night. Things went OK until I had to raise myself to the top and fasten the new stays and shrouds. Holy cow that mast swayed back and forth like a 62 foot tall blade of grass in a strong wind. That ever scared the poop outta me but I managed to persevere and stay up their. And though it was a successful I will never ever do it like that again. Next time I'll replace everything one piece at a time.

Once word got out I did this I could charge $80.00 and hour just to change a anchor light bulb.

Old 11-18-17, 07:07 PM   #1362
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Quote:
I'm scared to death of heights but after watching a professional rigger inspect my gear and seeing the cost. I decided to do it myself, forever more. Saved a buttload of money learned a lot, I always knew first hand what was going on.

I had a keel stepped mast and one day I took my cap shrouds and stays down for replacement. All I had holding the mast up was the lower shrouds and the main sheet to stabilize it over night. Things went OK until I had to raise myself to the top to fasten the new stays and shrouds. Holy cow did that mast ever sway like a 62 foot tall blade of grass in a strong wind. Scared the poop outta me but I managed to persevere and stay up their. And though it was a successful I will never ever do it like that again. Next time I'll replace everything one piece at a time.

Once word got out I did this I could charge $80.00 and hour just to change a anchor light bulb.
What kind of boat.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 07:15 PM   #1363
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Hi Gerald, the one I'm talking about is exactly like the one Mr. Quatro posted above. Designed by the late Doug Peterson for Jack Kelly Yachts built in 1979.

"Peterson later entered the America's Cup circle as a key design member of the winning 1992 America3 and 1995 NZL 32 Black Magic Team New Zealand design teams. In 2000, Peterson designed the winning Louis Vuitton Cup boat for Prada Challenge."

Didn't know until now that Doug had died from cancer just last year.

Old 11-18-17, 07:20 PM   #1364
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Quote:
Hi Gerald, the one I had was exactly like the one Mr. Quatro posted above. Designed by the late Doug Peterson for Jack Kelly Yachts built in 1979.

"Peterson later entered the America's Cup circle as a key design member of the winning 1992 America3 and 1995 NZL 32 Black Magic Team New Zealand design teams. In 2000, Peterson designed the winning Louis Vuitton Cup boat for Prada Challenge."
Ok.Nice lines, good as a long-haul boat,I will buy a boat next spring,a Hallberg-Rassy.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 08:24 PM   #1365
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

A well deserved gift and life of a retiree.