SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-12-09, 06:45 AM   #331
Wolfling04
Frogman

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 0

HARDCORE SUBSIM SKIPPERNo doubt about it, you are hardcore. You are the kind of subsim player who pins up the Kriegsmarine gridmap on your wall, you use a redlamp when playing at night, your wife lets you know her mother is visiting by shouting "Alarm!" and you didn't know--or care--that Silent Hunter III has a save game feature. You cut your teeth plotting attacks in Gato, sank 28,000 tons in your first Aces of the Deep patrol, and played Dangerous Waters at 100% realism. You scoff at wannabes who whine about some niggling detail in a subsim but use the red triangle-infested auto TDC and auto-map updates. You never, ever, use anything but full realism.
You are the "sim" in Subsim

well....exernal view is nice
Wolfling04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-09, 10:00 AM   #332
Captain Dave
Officer

Downloads: 398
Uploads: 3

STRATEGIC SUBSIM SKIPPER I'm a calculating B*****d.
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-09, 10:35 AM   #333
quietguy52
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

I'm a taker of harbors...

"Get busy living or get busy dying..."
quietguy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-09, 11:10 AM   #334
SpeedyPC
Officer

Downloads: 67

It says Im "Poof playing with Torpedoes"
SpeedyPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-09, 08:00 PM   #335
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

I played at 100% for a long time, but finally turned on the cam...gotta have my SS's. I always plan not to use it during an attack, but sometimes gotta take a peek....so some patrols I turn it off, some on.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-09, 08:30 PM   #336
MonTana_Prussian
Ensign

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
I played at 100% for a long time, but finally turned on the cam...gotta have my SS's. I always plan not to use it during an attack, but sometimes gotta take a peek....so some patrols I turn it off, some on.
Same for me,I now have only the CAM(not used for ID's or attacks) and Map contacts unchecked
MonTana_Prussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-09, 09:14 PM   #337
Sniper31
Mate

Downloads: 78

I'm not at liberty to disclose this information to those without a TS clearance.
Old 04-13-09, 01:25 PM   #338
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

ROLE-PLAYING SUBSIM SKIPPER - Well it got the ''role playing'' part right!

Your taste in sub and naval games runs the gamut from Grey Wolf to Silent Hunter 4. You have tried them all, at varying realism options. You're a lit-tle old-er than the typical subsim skipper, and probably remember using a tape cassette player to load programs onto your Radio Shack TRS-80. (Or perhaps you're wise beyond your years.) Your primary joy is using your imagination to put yourself into the game. You are able to overlook little details like the crew appearing instantly on the bridge, or wonky AI: to you, these are easily worked into the story as a crew who are really light on their feet, and frigates that have green skippers. The game platform gets you halfway there, your imagination does the rest. You spend lots of time setting up your crew management so it's just right and may even talk to them. You relish managing support and logistics in games like Pacific Storm, Navy Field, and Silent War.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-09, 04:12 PM   #339
NicholasJamesBoyd
Nub

Downloads: 80

The casual description seems to suit me better, but based on what I know, andhow I react I was refered to as hardcore. I'm not quite there, but in silent running, I make sure to stay completely quiet...
Old 04-15-09, 02:08 AM   #340
Kasbe
Watch

Downloads: 3

HARDCORE SUBSIM SKIPPERNo doubt about it, you are hardcore. You are the kind of subsim player who pins up the Kriegsmarine gridmap on your wall, you use a redlamp when playing at night, your wife lets you know her mother is visiting by shouting "Alarm!" and you didn't know--or care--that Silent Hunter III has a save game feature. You cut your teeth plotting attacks in Gato, sank 28,000 tons in your first Aces of the Deep patrol, and played Dangerous Waters at 100% realism. You scoff at wannabes who whine about some niggling detail in a subsim but use the red triangle-infested auto TDC and auto-map updates. You never, ever, use anything but full realism.
You are the "sim" in Subsim.

You know, the funny thing is that I started playing subsims for the first time 4 days ago.
Kasbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 06:16 AM   #341
Sensekhmet
Loader

Downloads: 16

STRATEGIC SUBSIM SKIPPER

Interesting. It is true I'd rather have someone else carry out my orders and I like to see the big picture, but then again I do like to personally blow something up too from time to time. Then again in cRPG games I usually play with Lawful Evil characters and I feel happy to stay in the shadows and just gently prod stuff to make things happen.
Of course I'm hardly an expert at subsimming (it always nags me... who the hell would put someone like me in command?!) and some questions confused me. I'm probably closer to a HARDCORE FAILURE SKIPPER as I'd like to go 100% realism but when I do, I fail utterly so I'm kind of forced to compromise.

Sensekhmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 09:24 AM   #342
Fishie
Loader

Says I'm hardcore- absolutely

Although, I have to admit. I leave the map update on, I let the view stabilize itself, and I leave the external view on.

Why? Because there's years of training I don't have, I can hold a pair of binocs steady by instinct, and I like the pretty colors.

done.

Fishie, Commander SS-215
Fear the Growler!
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 10:13 AM   #343
Sensekhmet
Loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie View Post

Why? Because there's years of training I don't have

My thoughts exactly! I frequently get into trouble with simracing fanatics, when I tell them that 'no, it's not just like the real thing' and that 'no, it's not that realistic', when a PC nerd gets suddenly plopped into Formula 1 car cockpit and not only can he actually keep it on the track but even win races!
Sensekhmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 01:24 PM   #344
Sniper_Fox
Engineer

Location: North of Malta, shadowing your pretty little C3 Cargo!
Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensekhmet View Post
Of course I'm hardly an expert at subsimming (it always nags me... who the hell would put someone like me in command?!) and some questions confused me. I'm probably closer to a HARDCORE FAILURE SKIPPER as I'd like to go 100% realism but when I do, I fail utterly so I'm kind of forced to compromise.

thats me... it called me a hardcore skipper... but i still suck. bad. If i can put the auto target thing on i do good because i dont sit for an hour and a half trying to get a friggin solution just to get out of position. :/ sigh..... those 2 ships i sunk in the gudgeon were with the deckgun! haha I shot about 6 torpedoes that patrol, all of them missed or were duds.
Im a one U-boat wolfpack. Ive hit the bottom of the Mediterranian at 250 metres in my VIIC and brought that babe back up, and still made it back to La Spezia. Ive sunk more destroyers than I have merchants...youll wish you never sailed into U-87s hunting grounds. When you pull into port, dont lull yourself into a false sense of security, your mines and subnets are just a petty challenge for my crew and I.

Last edited by Sniper_Fox; 04-16-09 at 01:34 PM.
Sniper_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-09, 03:16 PM   #345
ottoramsaig
Sailor man

Downloads: 347
Default Not that good but learning

I run at about 83% I think, I just don't want the hassle of the stabilized periscope. I will sometime soon but for right now manual targeting running TMO (SCAF)
ottoramsaig is offline   Reply With Quote