SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-07-08, 10:42 PM   #301
9th_cow
Planesman

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 0

i guess this is as good a place to ask as any, ok my crew! ask them to make a cup of tea, and it wears them out for 3 hours.
i know this issue has been discussed to death, however search isnt helping me out here, is there jgmse compatible mod that will put me out of my misery, because the micro management is getting me down. i should have to keep telling them to go to sleep and fidle about iwth dragging them about the screen all the time.
would love for an adjutent to do that for me
9th_cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 10:34 AM   #302
airwolf48453
Helmsman

Downloads: 201
Need a replacement disc

I recently was pulling my disc out and when i lift my arm up it caught the corner of the desk and put a gouge in it. Now it would pick up the disc to start. I tried to copy the files but still no good. I seen on ubisoft the you can but a replacement disc for $10. plus S/H. :hmm: I was wondering if anyone else has bought one from them or anywhere.
A Point Of Great Significance...Is The Keen Sensitivity Of The Wolf To The Condition Of It's Prey. In Judging What He Can Handle And What Should Prudently Be Left Alone, The Wolf Brings To His Daily Work Sophisticated Skills Completely Beyond Our Human Keen. These Are Made Possible By Inborn Capacities Effectively Tuned And Developed In The Young Wolf Through An Apprenticeship That Only The Capable Survive.
airwolf48453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 11:53 AM   #303
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9th_cow
i guess this is as good a place to ask as any, ok my crew! ask them to make a cup of tea, and it wears them out for 3 hours.
i know this issue has been discussed to death, however search isnt helping me out here, is there jgmse compatible mod that will put me out of my misery, because the micro management is getting me down. i should have to keep telling them to go to sleep and fidle about iwth dragging them about the screen all the time.
would love for an adjutent to do that for me
Get SH Commander as it allows you to configure your crews fatigue settings, or turn it off all together

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 11:55 AM   #304
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf48453
I recently was pulling my disc out and when i lift my arm up it caught the corner of the desk and put a gouge in it. Now it would pick up the disc to start. I tried to copy the files but still no good. I seen on ubisoft the you can but a replacement disc for $10. plus S/H. :hmm: I was wondering if anyone else has bought one from them or anywhere.
I have not gone the route you speak of, but recently got a second copy for 9.99 Canadian in a bargain bin. My original is fine, but thought I would pick up a second copy either to give it as a gift, or as a back-up.

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 07:33 AM   #305
Mehring1917
Sailor man

Downloads: 237

Just got my copy of SH3 and tried to patch it to 1.4b. I get-

This program cannot update the installed version of Silent Hunter III EMEA DVD v1.0 to 1.3 because of the following reason:

path to.... \MissionEngine.dll: unknown version.

Help!!!!
Mehring1917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 07:37 AM   #306
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Are you sure the copy you have is not already patched to 1.4?

When you start the game, the load screen will have the version in the lower right corner.

That's the only thing I can come up with.
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 07:51 AM   #307
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Also, you may need to do an uninstall and a clean re-install.
“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 08:11 AM   #308
BulSoldier
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 40

I would try both patches.Other than that i cant help.

By the hour !
BulSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 08:17 AM   #309
Mehring1917
Sailor man

Downloads: 237

Bah!! Call me a drama queen, the DVD is already patched to 1.4. Thanks. wouldn't have known where to look.
Mehring1917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-08, 09:42 PM   #310
rifleman13
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 28
To any moderator out there!

The link to the SH3 Community Manual seems to be dead!

I think this is the new one:
SH3 Community Manual

For the benefit of the newbies here!
rifleman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 03:08 PM   #311
RoadHazard
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default Newbie Questions!

Have mercy on me. I'm just getting my feet wet.

I bought SH3 through Steam and the manual gives only the very briefest of instruction. (It also seems badly translated, but that's another matter.) In particular, I've got these fairly basic questions.

1. Do the sonar/radar men automatically locate other ships or do I need to expressly ask him/them to search?

2. Sonar doesn't work when I'm surfaced. Do I then rely on visual contacts or will the sonar/radarmen still find things as before?

3. I get the "RA: Radio message received" notice periodically. What does that mean and what should I do about it? It doesn't seem to indicate that there's news from HQ.

4. What good is the radioman, anyway?

5. What's the purpose of the horizontal and vertical scales on the observation scope?

6. I'm surprised there's no depth information marked on the big world map/chart. I ran aground a few times before I realized I've got to feel my way through the English Channel. I'm pretty sure nautical charts circa 1938 woulda had depths.

7. Do crew members auto-swap when they get tired or do I need to do that manually? I've watched them over the course of several hours and can't tell for sure.

Well, that ought to do me for a few more days. Thanks in advance for your patience.
RoadHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 03:44 PM   #312
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

Welcome to Subsim.

Answers:
1)Sonar/Hydrophone stations will automatically conduct search rotations when the station is manned & you are submerged. However, if you take the hydrophone station yourself (press H) you will hear contacts at a greater distance the your AI crew member.

2)When surfaced you rely on visual, radio contacts and radar (if installed). You will need to instruct the radar man to conduct sweeps, which IIRC can be done using the Officer icons in the bottom left of the screen.

3)When you get a Message from HQ press M to read it. These are usually either contact reports or immersive information.

4)The radioman is fairly important. Without a crew member manning that station you will not get radio contact reports (ship & convoy reports indicated on you nav map).

5)Should you attempt 100% manual target & solution gathering, these will be of great use.

6)Yep. This is a huge oversight in the games creation. There should have been depth info. There is a general indication IIRC in the nav map tools (top right cnr) and I think it's attached to the pencil tool (not sure, so long since I played stock SH3).

7)Your crew will not swap if they get tired. You will have to manually move them about. DO NOT use the auto crew configuration (3 small buttons in the crew management screen) for Surface Attack, Submerged Attack etc....the game will probably crash. Unfixed feature.

If you should have any further questions please ask.

Enjoy your stay.
Old 07-10-08, 05:12 PM   #313
RoadHazard
Nub

Default Thanks!

Thanks, that's a big help. Naturally, I have more questions now.

8. Does playing with a higher reality factor (29% or whatever) increase my renown score?

9. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to having the periscope(s) up while I'm surfaced? Will I spot ships more easily? Will they spot me?

10. What is the dashed circle drawn around identified boats in the map/chart (F5) view?
RoadHazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 05:26 PM   #314
KeptinCranky
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3

8 yes, the higher the realism the more renown per sunk ship

9 they'll spot you more easily (I think) and I don't think there's any advantage to having the scope up while surfaced where spotting enemy ships is concerned, i'd advise against it really

10 I'm not quite sure, for merchies I think it's their visual range, as for warships, it's visual, radar and asdic (I think)
KeptinCranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 02:49 PM   #315
prince_vlad
Watch

Default a few questions...

I play the grey wolf mod...

1.When u get a message what does it mean exactly "AL 2299" ?...I notice the areas have squares which are numbered from xx to yy. But what does mean the last two figure from a message ?...A imaginary square bulit by closing the two squares ? (22 and 99) or...?

2.I played in the 7/13th flotilla to get the VII B from the begining ...In time I was promoted to kapitanleutnant and then I moved to 2nd flotilla to get the IXB sub.When I came back from the first mission with IXB the game let me know I was promoted to...OBERLEUTNANT, promotion I already "lived" once after my third mission!!! Is this a bug ?

3.The green/red icon of sub detection, what exactly "contains" when is lit green ? (depth, speed etc ) or it's not a rule...?

4. How do you pinpoint the latitude and longitude if u don't have the game's map ? (Even the game's map I discovered that is not precised at all).Is there other method to guess lat @ long in game ?

5.I noticed that crew can get , individually, renown.How do they achive that? What should they do?

6. Where do they go the convoys if they are not supressed in the process ? What does the AI when they arrive to the destination? Is there a precise destination for them or not? Also I noticed, in bad weather, that convoys ships can sunk(they leave behind some gray icons od sunk ship).Is it a bug or is something random ?

7. How does the weather system works, gradually or suddenly ?

8. I noticed the radar's icons are gray wether u are submerged or on surface.Why ? How do they work? Do I have to improved the sonar or something first or do I miss something?
prince_vlad is offline   Reply With Quote