SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-13, 10:34 AM   #1
Wreford-Brown
Sea Lord

Downloads: 51
Uploads: 26
Default 1 Aug 13 Deutsches Panzermuseum Munster [picture heavy]

Just up the road from me is the town of Munster which also happens to contain the German National Tank Museum. The museum is part funded by the Stadt and part by the Bundeswehr and is pretty unique, both because the Germans produced many of the iconic tanks of WW2 and because Germany is one of the few countries which used both Western and Eastern block armoured vehicles during the Cold War which were then retained following reunification.

It has every type of mainstream Panzer from WW2 (although a few of them have still got the shell holes where they were taken out of action) and many of the Leopard series of tanks, as well as a Merkava and a few other types such as a contemporary flail tank.

The stated aim of the museum is to put every tank in their collection into full mechanical working order and during their Open Days they drive them around for the crowds - I can imagine that seeing a column of German tanks from WW2 is pretty impressive (the next Open Day is 1 Sep 13). This is partially achieved by the Bundeswehr sending their mechanics to help work on the vehicles while the Stadt maintain the buildaings and staff. If you ever visit this neck of the woods it's definitely worth a half-day visit.

I've got another hundred or so photos so please bear with me - uploading is going to take a while...

All my mods are available at MediaFire:
SH3 Mods
Other modders SH3 mods
SH4 Mods
...you can't please all of the people all of the time...
Wreford-Brown is offline   Reply With Quote