SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-26-19, 09:36 PM   #1
UnqualifiedOfficer
Swabbie

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0
Default Trouble with the U-Boat addon.

Hey guys, I need some help. I played the hell out of SH3 when I was back with my crappy computer. I later got an upgrade, and now have a whole Asus laptop with windows 10. I do not know the specifications of the laptop. Hell, the keyboard stopped working so I got a separate one plugged into it! I Got sh3 running no problem, and I decided to pick up SH4 because I love the Naval Pacific Front. I got the base game of steam, v1.3 and all, I had some problems, but I changed the DPI. Fixed, but still would crash if I went into freeview next to a busy harbor like Rabaul or Pearl. I bought the U-Boat missions, and realized that I had both of the same game in the same folder thanks to the steam installation. I uninstalled the games, And reinstalled the U-Boat missions. Since, the game is very odd. The museum instantly crashes upon fully loading, the Campaign is super unstable, and crashed after going freeview at Pearl for a starting campaign, then seemingly at random after sinking some docked ships. I made a Single Lan game to test the waters, and it works. Is there anyway that I can fix this, or am I stuck in the water?
UnqualifiedOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-19, 10:53 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It sounds like you tried installing mods, and when they didn't work, backed them off? After doing that, did you delete the Save game folder? That is usually "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4 \". The game uses a lot of the information in that folder to run off of. If anything gets trashed in there, then the game will continue to cause you trouble, even after re-installing everything.

Now, a Steam game defaults to installing in the "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \GameFolder", which is considered by Windows to be a "System" folder. As such, the older games that use JSGME are not "authorized" to alter the files, which if you're trying to activate mods, they are being partially disabled by Windows security. The only way around that is to install the game in a different folder of your making. How you do that depends upon whether you have a 2nd usable hard drive or patition (you don't want to use the computer's Restore partition), or if you have just the one drive most laptops have. See the Steam Knowledgebase article "Moving a Steam Installation and Games for more information on that, if you're wanting to mod your game.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-19, 11:46 AM   #3
UnqualifiedOfficer
Swabbie

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0

Yeah. I got it working, I think it was the mods, but I remember I did reinstall the game after deleting the entire File for sh4. But it works now, all good.
UnqualifiedOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote