Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-23-13, 11:48 PM   #1
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652
Uploads: 0
Default Tom Clancy SSN

This game came out in 1996, when Tom Clancy still had quality control over the PC products carrying his name. I kept an old laptop alive free of upgrades in order to be able to play it today along with some other old games. That is how much I liked it.

The game was not welcomed by gaming critics in 1996, and was labelled as "Arcade". In 1996, an "Arcade" game was a children game in the world of stone cold "dead" serious SIMs.

When Sonalysts used the same dashboard type in their DARPA ACTUV project, I thought how SSN was ahead and how demo-players-critics ignorant of ASW should do some research on their subject matter before chain writing reviews and previews.

Yet, it is Arcade-simple like, as it is supposed to re-create the mental picture of a sub commander at the con and a crash course on ASW. Then the graphics are dated. However the game play in advanced settings is tactically serious, to the point of winning against the AI and finishing the game is not guaranteed.

To win, a need for thoroughness , observation, anticipation and care for details and time are necessary, compared to playing the SH's franchise.

It is a great tool to train for some basics of ASW. It is not DW which is more alike a sim, but it is a nice introduction to it as similar tactical thinking would be involved to win.

Hence, for those who still have the game and enjoyed it, there is a mod which allows to play it in Vista and Windows 7 and 8.

Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOM-CLANCYS-...E:L:OC:US:3160

It is not free and it comes with a copy of Tom Clancy SSN. I installed it and it worked perfectly on a Win7 64bit.

I can now enjoy the comfort of playing it on a much larger monitor.

Check it out!

Last edited by biosthetique; 09-15-13 at 11:16 AM.
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-13, 06:51 AM   #2
navalcombat
Nub

Downloads: 8
Default TCSSN

I also have SSN and just recently installed it on my Vista 32bit machine. When I inserted the disk I clicked off the auto installer, and opened my DVD folder, right clicked the setup exe file and changed the compatibility to Win95. Then selected the full screen option. Viola! Installed without a hitch.

Then I looked for the ssn exe file and repeated the process, and have been playing it since. Forgot all about the movie and Tom Clancy intro....kinda cool and retro.
navalcombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-13, 10:10 AM   #3
biosthetique
Lieutenant

I wish it would have been that easy with my machine which OS is Win7 64bit.

Hence the dos box necessity as SSN was not designed to work on 64bit and does not work with the regular compatibility mode.
Old 09-13-13, 02:49 PM   #4
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Does this modded install fix the issues with the particle effects simulating too fast on modern CPU's?
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 11:04 PM   #5
biosthetique
Lieutenant

I don't know as I never had that issue.

I have an Intel core i7-3960x CPU @ 3.30Ghz and don't have problems like that with SSN.
Old 10-16-13, 03:56 AM   #6
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

I bought myself a copy from that ebay seller and it worked perfectly. Such a fun and well-designed game.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 10:38 AM   #7
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Yes it is a genuine well designed game!
Old 08-06-22, 06:09 PM   #8
gergorian
Nub

Downloads: 25
Icon7 Free Pre-Fixed Version

I know this is an old post but figured I would still share this info. There is a gent who has been posting old abandonware games pre-fixed on the Internet Archive. I requested Tom Clancy's SSN since I've never had any luck getting it to run. Just two days later he uploaded a completely working version using PCem running Windows 95. I've been playing it on Windows 10 with no problems. Since it is abandonware I see no reason I can't leave a link.

https://archive.org/details/tom-clan...donware_202208
gergorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-22, 11:07 PM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

gregorian! nice 9 year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote