SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-10-11, 03:21 PM   #1
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 783
Uploads: 4
Default Changing the scope zoom levels..

I've done a forum search .. with no results !

Does anybody know how to do this, I've changed every possible Cameras.dat file values wrt the scopes, and even set only one zoom value.... absolutely nothing works (even trying to change azimuth and elevation values is a dead loss). It seems to be hard coded... Does anybody else have this 'problem'?

I would like to change the FOV of the Obs scope to 60.
vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 04:09 PM   #2
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

It's called 'AngularAngle' or something similar and it's under the zoom levels array.
Old 02-10-11, 10:20 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

132: Node -_Dummy_Cam_Obs_Periscope (open that one)

133: Node -_Dummy_Cam_Obs_Periscope (the numbers may be different, but that's the correct name)

Optical

In the Optical window open ZoomLevels. Click on one and change the value in the window at the bottom.
Old 02-10-11, 11:43 PM   #4
vanjast
Sea Lord

Ja, I've done all that, but it makes no difference ?

Would have something to do with screen res - I'm running on a laptop a 1280x800?
Old 02-11-11, 10:17 AM   #5
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Hi Vanjast,

The "Optical" parameter under the various object nodes of the Camera.dat file will change the magnification and/or zoom levels (either adding or subtracting the number of the zoom levels) of that particular object. The below image has my MaxOptics Camera.dat file opened to the Attack Periscope object with the "Optical" parameter opened further. With MaxOptics I added an additional Zoom level by Right clicking one of the zoom levels array and clicking the "Add Array" heading found in the menu box. The magnification was changed for each of the three zoom levels by the specific value found in each level. The "third" zoom level that's highlighted is 8x times the normal setting.

Unless you want to get into more trouble than you want, don't mess with the AngularAngle parameter found in the "CameraParams" node group, unless your wanting to change the optical view as the Optical Targeting Correction mod does. I see you're trying to have a 60 degree fov for the Observation scope. To get it, you will need to have a "backdrop" of sorts to measure the FoV that you have with the Observation periscope you use. The sea is a poor place to find permanent stationary points to measure. Try using the test mission found HERE that will give you a starting basis for measuring the Observation periscope you have now. It has a stationary sub, with stationary ships set in front of you to measure specific horizontal distances with the compass bearing. You will need to change the "AngularAngle" of the Obs_Periscope object parameter to have the Observation scope get the 60 degree fov that your looking for. I don't know from where your starting from so I can't help you in telling whether you need to increase or lower the AngularAngle value to achieve want you want. By knowing what the Fov is before you start tinkering around will help with the changes you make, and see if you're heading in the direction you want. To measure your starting FoV make sure the edge (either left or right) of the Observation scope is on a specific ship part that you will find again when you do the measurement. Once you have this spot picked out, read the degree of the compass (be very picky about the center line position, don't fudge a little about the accuracy). Now, move the compass center line onto the ships reference point you had picked out and subtract the difference in where the compass bearing is now, compared to where you started. Multiply by 2 and that's your total FoV for the scope overlay you're using. There are different scope overlays, different sizes (maybe you made one yourself), the total FoV can be different for each. The stock periscope overlay (the game calls them a "periscope_mask") uses the same one for both the German and American sides. The FoV for it is about 36 to 38 degrees, depending on what game resolution you use. It should read 32 degrees to have the stock game overlay match what was authentic (for the American side), and what is divided onto the scope lens as Telemeter division marks.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 02-11-11 at 11:52 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 10:19 AM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjast View Post
Ja, I've done all that, but it makes no difference ?

Would have something to do with screen res - I'm running on a laptop a 1280x800?
Did you save it before you closed it?

I've made those changes more than once, and it has worked every time for me.
Old 02-11-11, 11:44 AM   #7
vanjast
Sea Lord

I'll give you indication of what I've done..

Adding zoom levels:
I've made 5 Zoomlevels, and also make only 1 zoom level :- No change and I still get 2 zoom levels and the zoomlevel remains the same, even after setting it to 0.2 or 15

I set the Restricted Rotation parameters.. and nothing happens
I change the CameraParams and sweet f'all changes.. and I'm really p*ssed orf cause I feel that I'm going around in circles.. which I am

I've done the same to the Periscope and ObsScope... there must be a 'lock' of some sort in the code or other settings, which will enable me to change this lot..
SSteve - yes I save it every time and when I bring the file back into S3D.. my changes are there.

I'll carry on bashing my head against the wall
Old 02-11-11, 12:12 PM   #8
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I know you will need to change the Optical "MaxZoom=10.0" value if you are trying to magnify greater than a 10x setting. For instance, in my image I have the third zoom level set to 8x, the stock MaxZoom=10.0 is good for this magnification since it is "higher" than what I'm using for my largest magnification. If you go to 12x power, move the MaxZoom= up to 15 or something larger than the magnification you choose.

I'm beginning to wonder if you don't have some other problem. A corrupt Silent 3ditor install, or a "mod soup" issue that has you using a bad Camera.dat file? You may need to scrap the Camera.dat file you're using and get a new one from the stock game. The stock creation date on this file is "10/29/2007 12:08PM", least that's what my original SH4 game patched to 1.5 states.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 12:43 PM   #9
vanjast
Sea Lord

I have been thinking about uninstalling all mods and trying again with the basics...
I'm also thinking of changing the cameras.dat filename to test whether S3D actually saves the changes, or store them in a temp file - Will do this later.

I have the retail (box) versions of SH4 and UBoat Missions - Don't know whether this makes a difference.
Old 02-11-11, 01:10 PM   #10
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

How are you making the change - in S3D on the file in place, or are you using JSGME to install it each time. If you are doing it in place, then be careful you haven't made a backup copy in the game directory - as it will load that file too and possibly override any chages you want to make.
Old 02-11-11, 02:40 PM   #11
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisgeis View Post
How are you making the change - in S3D on the file in place, or are you using JSGME to install it each time. If you are doing it in place, then be careful you haven't made a backup copy in the game directory - as it will load that file too and possibly override any chages you want to make.
Where would a backup copy be stored?

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 02:58 PM   #12
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314 View Post
Where would a backup copy be stored?
Anywhere you put it. When I first started modding, I wanted to change cameras.dat, so I made a backup and called it cameras.old or cameras2.dat or something like that and then changed cameras.dat. But, anything in /data/library gets loaded by the game if it's just there, so you get duplicates od the IDs of the things you changed and it stops your changes from working. None of the things I changed had any effect, I eventually cottoned on when I deleted the whole file and the game still had the camera settings and that's when I realised it loaded everything and not just a specific set of named files.
Old 02-11-11, 04:27 PM   #13
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

Ahhhhhhhhh! Okay. I see what you mean. So don't keep backups in the game's folder.

Yeah, i too caught onto that back in the old Red Baron 3D days. I forget what it was, but the same thing happenned. Had me perplexed for for a week. Then I finally got it.

So anymore, I make copies of the original files I mod, and then tuck them away incase I biff something up. And any changes made, are to a file that I have in the Modding File on the desktop, which I then copy and paste to the game folder.

I know it's a bunch of extra stuff, but it saves a lot of possible grief in the long run.

Thanks for the info though!

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 09:58 PM   #14
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjast View Post
Adding zoom levels:
I've made 5 Zoomlevels, and also make only 1 zoom level :- No change and I still get 2 zoom levels and the zoomlevel remains the same, even after setting it to 0.2 or 15
Let me understand this - you're adding new stuff, and fiddling with it?

Okay, right there you've stepped outside of anything I know. I have no idea if that can even work. What I know is that you can change the Zoom Levels with S3D. Beyond that, for all I know it isn't working because you're trying to do something it can't. Or not. It could be anything. Novice out.
Old 02-12-11, 01:39 AM   #15
vanjast
Sea Lord

I made all those changes to see if something would work. I've had this little voice telling me the problem was with S3D, but thought this was stupid and ignored it. After exhausting all options I'll play with the backupfiles of S3D today.

Thanks all