SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-09-13, 07:03 PM   #76
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Yes, but I understand that this sim also is a game and the various bows must be made having differences that nevertheless are balanced to each other. There is no point in having one bow that is the most precise, strongest and most silent because then there is no need to chose any of the others. The crossbow for strength and long distance (you can lie down on the ground with it), the Python for silence.
I know, yet I really don't appreciate this marketing and balancing strategy. We had the compound and the recurve bow. The next logical (and wanted) step would have been a strong longbow. Why?

You got the compound bow for "easy" shooting. It is strong, you can anchor it a long time (in RL as well), it is very stable due to light and modern design and the aiming dots will help the most imbecile shooter to hit something not too far away.

Then we got the recurve bow.
A weapon for enthusiasts and traditional bow hunters or those who want to learn it, who wants a challenge of getting even closer to place a good shot. I fell in love on first sight.
This one should be a tad stronger to compensate for the heavier shaking, less anchoring and lack of aiming assistance.

Then we should have had the Longbow, not another compound. Why?
The Longbow would have been the strongest, lets say a 110lbs monster. You could not anchor it and would have to shoot even more instinctive as with the recurve. Pull and release, no anchoring, maximum a second or so.
To compensate the even more difficult shooting it would have been the strongest, dropping big game easily.

What did they do? Bring us another compound. And why?
Money/Licence reasons. How I hate that...
I want them to have money, it's not that. But the recent money-pressing strategy just makes me mad...

If they at least would get a deal with Mauser so we would see the Mauser M03/M12/M98 series... gah.
Old 11-09-13, 08:20 PM   #77
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

The one thing about the Python is stealth. The other bows are noisemakers, compared to it. The Python can shoot several arrows without close animals spooking.

The Snakebite is the one bow too much in the collection, I think, but I got it anyway with the DVD edition last year. I later bought the Python for looks only. The silence argument I learned later about.

I agree that with clothes and premium items and the many rifles now they are aiming at people's wallets only. But then, nobody is forced to buy. While I have more firearms than I use, most of them I have due to the DVD edition including them last year. Don't know how it is with the 2014 edition which is out since 4 weeks or so.

I do not plan to buy any new weapons as long as it is no Tomahawk or throwing speer.
Old 11-09-13, 08:39 PM   #78
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

A Tomahawk? Mhhh...

Regarding the silent Parker bow. The problem is, it is only silent if you hit both lungs, the heart, the brain or the neck bones/spine. Due to the lack of power you won't hit both lungs on most game and the heart is kinda misplaced for some animals and I still struggle to be 100% sure where it is depending on the species, which freaks me off. The roe deers heart for example is, according to the hunter mate, completely misplaced. I wanted to do some tests and aim for the exact position where it is in RL, but I havn't done it yet. Even with virtual animals "testing" feels kinda wrong to me.

Anyways, if you hit it and the animal runs - they all run. A problem currently being discussed in the official forums.

It is a great bow non the less and still on my "maybe" list. Right now its just no priority for me.
Old 11-09-13, 09:12 PM   #79
Skybird
Soaring

Get closer. 20m is the MAXIMUM.

With arrows,I always go for heart shots, frontal preferred. On Loggers Point I have gotten full packs of Muledeer - good hiding, staying hidden, luring them VERY close, and dropping them instantly with heart shots. Nothing beats the Python when used this way. If they are too close, the other bows spook animals as well. The Python does not. The 40 and 60 meter pins for it are a bad joke, however. It can reach that far, yes, but you spoil your silence advantage, and always have a long search.

Problem with Logger's Point is the open range. I hide in trees and bushes (and I mean full concealment by foliage, even when interrupting LOS), or just behind hilltops, luring animals blindly, one by one, to pass over it, then go for neck shots at <10m. In this context I also avoid shooting at moving animals, if possible.

Maybe they should make ropes a new weapon, to strangle deer.
Old 11-09-13, 09:16 PM   #80
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I don't like to shoot from the front for various reasons, but I know it works well.

If I catch it on sale I probably buy it, it sure looks great, a quite important aspect for me (see 8x53mm rant ).
Old 11-21-13, 07:05 PM   #81
Skybird
Soaring

The next reserve has been revealed: it will be in the style of the swamps and marshlands of Louisiana. It's in the final stage. One new species as well, so far unnamed. I bet it has wings, feathers and makes a squawking sound.
Old 11-21-13, 10:26 PM   #82
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Maybe they should make ropes a new weapon, to strangle deer.
You know....Missouri has an Alternate Method season this year....
Old 11-21-13, 11:52 PM   #83
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

BOLOS!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-13, 10:45 AM   #84
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
The next reserve has been revealed: it will be in the style of the swamps and marshlands of Louisiana. It's in the final stage. One new species as well, so far unnamed. I bet it has wings, feathers and makes a squawking sound.
Meh... People where yacking for waterfowls quite a while now and this new reserve just has to bring them. I am not interested in both, but so far Hirschfelden and Hemeldal keep me happy. And I just love Rehe.

Edit: And more bad news for me. They finally released the longbow. The weapon I waited so long for, I love longbows... and what did they do? They made it even WEAKER than the recurve bow.
Wth...

I start to hate these developers... really. -.-

Last edited by Nippelspanner; 11-22-13 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-22-13, 11:18 AM   #85
Skybird
Soaring

It's worthwhile to keep in mind that the major concern for them is to make the weapons with different specs ingame, so that you do not have one single weapon with all advantages (penetration, precision, stealth). I can live with that, since I understand that it is part of their business model that dictates it, if they want to continue development. I personally see no point it getting the longbow. Nor is anyone forced to buy any newly released weapon. I do not plan to buy any new weapon at all. All needs in that regard are already fulfilled, and more than that.

Best investments beyond your armory are tents, certain consumables, and some of the functionality clothes. Binoculars with laser range finder, if you are an arrow-user.

Beyond that it is eyecandy.

One can spend a little fortune on this game, it is the most expensive game I ever used. But beyond a certain point one can also avoid that - and just spend on renewing the membership once or twice a year.

The good news is, different to so many other games with payware content, beyond relatively little stuff all additional stuff is not mandatory for you to get if you want to keep your chances for successful gameplay. you can perfectly go on without that new stuff. They try to bait you, yes, with eye candy. But they do not overstep the red line to making buying it mandatory, directly or in directly.
Old 11-22-13, 11:38 AM   #86
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
It's worthwhile to keep in mind that the major concern for them is to make the weapons with different specs ingame, so that you do not have one single weapon with all advantages (penetration, precision, stealth). I can live with that, since I understand that it is part of their business model that dictates it, if they want to continue development. I personally see no point it getting the longbow. Nor is anyone forced to buy any newly released weapon. I do not plan to buy any new weapon at all. All needs in that regard are already fulfilled, and more than that.

Best investments beyond your armory are tents, certain consumables, and some of the functionality clothes. Binoculars with laser range finder, if you are an arrow-user.

Beyond that it is eyecandy.

One can spend a little fortune on this game, it is the most expensive game I ever used. But beyond a certain point one can also avoid that - and just spend on renewing the membership once or twice a year.

The good news is, different to so many other games with payware content, beyond relatively little stuff all additional stuff is not mandatory for you to get if you want to keep your chances for successful gameplay. you can perfectly go on without that new stuff. They try to bait you, yes, with eye candy. But they do not overstep the red line to making buying it mandatory, directly or in directly.
I know all that. It's just... finally they make the longbow...and than it is not what it should be and also so in between the others that there is no need for it.

It should have been the strongest bow. This would have been a logical step...but no, lets fork it up again.

Time for a Döner to compensate my bad mood
Old 11-22-13, 12:55 PM   #87
Skybird
Soaring

"Strongest bow"? You mean as an overall assessment? Maybe. Maybe not.

Physically, a compound bow is superior in range, precision and power brought onto the arrow=penetration power. The arrow also flies more stable. A Longbow on the other hand should be more silent, and allow a faster shot frequency.

Compound Bows are the most superior arrow-weapon ever designed, leaving both crossbows and the mystically transfigurated English Longbow behind.

In fact the penetration power of even just a medium quality compound bow and a good arrow of the medium prize segment is absolutely fearsome. I have seen it driving its head through 15 cm of hard oak at 15 meters, and sticking out on the other side several centimeters. One needs to see that oneself in order to believe it, its absolutely fearsome. Many small arms ammunitions would not be capable to achieve that. See it once with your own eyes - you never handle your bow the same way as before, but now with much more respect and caution.
Old 11-22-13, 01:13 PM   #88
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
"Strongest bow"? You mean as an overall assessment? Maybe. Maybe not.
No, lbs wise, like strongest from strength

Quote:
Physically, a compound bow is superior in range, precision and power brought onto the arrow=penetration power. The arrow also flies more stable. A Longbow on the other hand should be more silent, and allow a faster shot frequency.
That doesn't depend on the bow-form, like longbow, recurve or compound, that depends on how those bows are made and what for...

Anyways, the compounds are rather weak in the game. Too weak for the lbs shown in their stats. But I mentioned that before. A 100lbs longbow would still be much more powerful. I would also not underestimate its precision as well. While it lacks stabilizers and has no aiming assistance, a good shooter will hit what he wants at 50m+. And what do we shoot at in theHunter? ~10m? Its a joke...

A distant friend of mine was the 2012 European champion in Feldbogenschießen, he also introduced me into archery and teach me a few things. Sure, he is one of the best, yet he shoots "primitive" self made bows and it is astonishing what he is able to hit and at what distances... And every descent bow will have no problem at all penetrating even bigger game like elk and moose.
I find this very disappointing in the game... again, "balancing" strikes...
Old 11-22-13, 02:03 PM   #89
Skybird
Soaring

I also did archery in a log forgotten past.

Longbows allow higher shooting frequency, I give them that.

But a compound bow brings the arrow to higher acceleration speeds, the arrows fly faster than with any Longbow. Next, the arrow travels more in a line, less in a ballistic curve. Therefore, it is more precise, and shortens the path to target: again, more energy saved. The arrow gets not accelerated with maximum speed from all beginning on, like with a longbow, but as long as the string still touches the arrow the acceleration constantly climbs until maximum when the arrow leaves the contact to the string. This leads to less distortions of the arrow while in midair, it moves less, becomes stiff again sooner, and therefore looses less energy to in-flight-vibration and deformation when impacting in/on target, it also gives it not only a more linear flightpath, but less own-movement - generally it looses less energy than an arrow shot with a longbow.

Not to mention that fully pulled, you can hold the string with just one third, even one tenth of the power that indeed is loaded. You start to pull with let'S say 70 pounds, but you hold it finally with just 7 pounds (if you canj afford such a boiw, most have 70% reduction or so). A huge advantage, also helping your precision. Handling and aiming is easier, much easier.

Less curvy flight, more stable flying, less arrow distortion, higher flight speed= less energy loss, greater precision, greater reach, greater penetration power at same pulling power.

The longbow, however, should be more powerful than the Recurve. The Recurve should be the weakest of them all.

For real hunting I would pick the compound: best precision. You do not want the animal suffer needlessly from badly aimed shots at too long distances.
Old 12-06-13, 07:32 AM   #90
Skybird
Soaring

New species spotted. I will soon hunt ducks in Louisiana's swamps.