Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-25-18, 01:38 PM   #1
SCPOTurner
Mate

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 0
Default Completing First Campaign Mission

I had a blast starting the first campaign, 'training'. sank the ships, motored to Kiel, passed through the icon at the end, but couldn't get a click on the 'Moor at Kiel" bar. I even went alongside a nearby pier, but no joy. Am I to download a fix for this, or am I just missing something?
SCPOTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-18, 02:37 PM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi SC
Quote:
but couldn't get a click on the 'Moor at Kiel" bar
No you won't ever.
The anchor icon is what you need to look for.
It appears at the beginning of your patrol when the game loads to the bridge.
It appears as you travel through your port base towards the bunker, will appear and start flashing before turning a solid yellow color a distance from the bunker.
The submarine icon only shows you where your base is.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-18, 03:35 PM   #3
SCPOTurner
Mate

Gotcha! Watch out Allied Bad Guys!!!
Old 01-25-18, 05:42 PM   #4
SCPOTurner
Mate

I plotted a course to just outside the harbor at Kiel. As I check the harbor on the chart, I see a square golden icon with a sub silhouette inside near the inner harbor. The gold icon has a black waypoint symbol right beneath suggesting it should be the end of my plotted course. I completed the plot, motor into the harbor and... nada. I looked around and spotted sub bunkers around the corner to the left and carefully tried to enter one and got only the sound of plating being pulled off my keel. Examining the underwater features of the bunker, I haven’t a clue what I might have hit, but I still had no joy completing the mission. (Some crew members are questioning my experience with previous games, and I don’t wish to have any of them shot.) I still think I’m missing something. I’ll hit the tutorials now, though it conflicts with my male need to figure it out on my own. Oh, woe. What’s a feller to do?
Old 01-25-18, 05:49 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi SP
What is the date you are trying to end the patrol?
You cannot end the patrol in Kiel before 4th September 00.00 GMT time.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-18, 06:11 PM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Hi SCPOTurner,

The rules for returning to ports and docking are these:
First, consult your Captain's Log to see if BDU sends you to a specific port to dock after your misssion. You may not be able to dock elsewhere, so do this first and locate any new port on your map. It will be visible with a submarine icon.

Second, once you are in a port where you can dock, it's not necessary to enter the bunker actually, watch for a yellow icon with an anchor appearing and flashing at the upper side of the screen. Clicking on it will bring you 3 choices: Ending your Patrol, Refitting, or Postpone which quits the icon menu.

Note that not all allied ports can be docked at, in some big ports you can refit but not dock to end the patrol. Also in rare cases (like the first mission) the docking icon will not appear until you have finished all 'ongoing' missions, in this case or finish the missions or speed up time until you reach the finish time for the mission - in your case September 4th. The docking icon will then appear.

I hope this helps,
cheers,

Last edited by XenonSurf; 01-25-18 at 06:27 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-18, 10:07 PM   #7
SCPOTurner
Mate

Hey, thanks fellows. I feel like a seaman deuce just out of boot camp. I just printed off your instructions for tomorrow morning's underway period. I'm glad to be retired so I can immerse myself in this. I'd have to join 'Submarines Anonymous' except that I have a wife as an accountability partner. Again thanks for the help!
Old 01-26-18, 06:08 PM   #8
SCPOTurner
Mate

Very, very frustrating! Started initial career mission on 3 Sept (obviously a training mission). Sank the ships, plotted the course to Kiel as instructed. Entered harbor, approached the gold square and... nada. Checked captain's log, only message was to plot course to Kiel, and dock at Kiel. Besides the regular 'anchor' symbols, the one one in Kiel is the only one with what seems to be the obvious endpoint of the mission... the gold square.
My game is SH5, Battle of the Atlantic, version 1.2.0 The other historic missions run alright, but I'd really like to get over the hump of the first what seems to be the training mission with it's guides and explanations. I'm completely stuck at this point.
Old 01-26-18, 06:17 PM   #9
SCPOTurner
Mate

Oh yeah... Entered Kiel on 5 September - two days after start date.
Old 01-26-18, 08:33 PM   #10
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

I'm not too familiar with the stock game because I play TWoS where all these stock 'tutorial missions' are skipped, and my response above is based on that.
For the stock game: IIRC you must end all these tutorials and also all missions in the captain's log should read 'accomplished' or similar.
When you finish all tutorials, you should have 'unlocked' all torpedo functions, the mini-map, the tools for the map. Look at the upper screen: are there still tutorial icons? If yes you did not finish them. Do so by repeating the instructions (even if you sunk some ships before, the game doesnt' care too much) and then try to dock once really ALL tutorials are 'technically' finished.

If still you have problems, click on the Search icon here above, chose Advanced search, enter 'mission' in the search text, chose search in titles only and for the generic SH5 forum, you will find lots of people complaining not being able to finish 1st mission. You should get your answers there, I know there is a solution.

Then: For the longer term I advice you to read about TWoS and how it changes the game, most players find the stock game too buggy anyway and play with that. I can not judge this however, I remember I did play the tutorials in the stock game but not to the end, and then for some 'good' reasons I switched to TWoS. And I surely won't switch back to the stock game anytime soon...

Here's a trick to skip tutorial missions (should also work in the stock game):

You can skip the initial tutorials that you must do in every campaign start by editing the file CarrerHistory.cfg in the savegame folder C:\Users\...\Documents\SH5\data\cfg
Just replace the following:

HasCompletedTutorial=false

Change this into:
HasCompletedTutorial=true

Problem is: you cannot edit every so often the files every time you find a bug or malfunction...
But at least, this should get you started...

I hope you get responses from more competent players, there are some very good veterans here on this site!

Last edited by XenonSurf; 01-26-18 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-27-18, 10:58 AM   #11
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Watch this video, start watching at 17:40, it shows the correct play for docking at Kiel in the stock game.

Old 01-27-18, 02:58 PM   #12
SCPOTurner
Mate

Bless you one and all!! The video helped the most. I wasn't completing the mission because I hadn't noticed the anchor symbol in the upper right of the screen. I was too focused on the blue one in the harbor. Auf wiedersehen... for now. (I'd better get some chores done for the wife before I go back aboard the boat!)
Old 01-27-18, 03:39 PM   #13
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

For playing the stock game without problems also read here (3rd post):

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=236395
Old 04-03-20, 04:05 PM   #14
4H_Ccrashh
Helmsman

Downloads: 469
Default I couldn't end my mission

This is from an old thread but it happened to me as I tried to end the first (training patrol)

Went to Kiel and could not get an option to dock.

It seems that if you play a long time the game gets a little pissy and some little things stop working, like the ships log, adding enigma messages to the ships log after decoding, ya know little things that don't really have an impact on the big picture.

So what I did when I couldn't end the mission was to save my game. Exit SH5, restart the game load my last save and POOF!!! There was the pretty golden anchor allowing me to go in the warm bosom of my sub pen.
4H_Ccrashh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-22, 12:27 PM   #15
Steve Gad
Bosun

Downloads: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPOTurner View Post
Gotcha! Watch out Allied Bad Guys!!!
I know this is very late, but may be useful to others. It's a great idea to get the Mod that allows navigation in and out of Kiel canal.

It's the Trevally Harbour & Kiel Canal Pilot v3.1 and runs through the automation button on the right of the screen. You quickly realise in here that we are in the presence of genius, when it comes to a strong modding community
Steve Gad is offline   Reply With Quote