SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-05-10, 09:34 PM   #1
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default So, I got a Droid

Who else has a smartphone, and what apps do you use?
Old 02-05-10, 09:44 PM   #2
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Not yet...

Are you "happy" or are the smartphone to complicated,I prefer in moment pc and diffrent option so maybe later..

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 01:49 AM   #3
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendor View Post
Are you "happy" or are the smartphone to complicated,I prefer in moment pc and diffrent option so maybe later..
Well, I rather like it for a number of reasons. Like my lying in bed, right now.
Old 05-25-10, 10:05 AM   #4
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76
Yep

I have HTC Hero, with a whole range on apps (all free so far), such as:

Advance Task Killer - kills tasks to free memory
Pkt Auctions Ebay - self explanatory!
Metal Detector - handy this, used it to find rotory airer ground spike after winter
Google Sky Maps - impresses the kids pointing out Venus and Mars when visible
F1 Racing - for when I'm not near a TV during a race, lap by lap updates
Buienradar.nl - weather pics (IR satellite, wx radar) with updated every 30 mins

Pretty much anything you want is available. I love getting my android out while my mates have broken iPhones (all too often).

Still waiting for a subsim app, but can use it for the forum anyway.
Herr-Berbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10, 07:55 PM   #5
JSLTIGER
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

Don't have a smartphone just yet, but as our contract is up (and I'm tired of living in 2004 with our RAZRs), I'm trying to persuade my dad to spring for smartphones this time around. We're not locked into any particular cell provider, so we're currently looking at:

HTC EVO 4G from Sprint
HTC Incredible from Verizon
Apple iPhone from AT&T

Personally, I'll be happy with any of the above.
Intel Core i7 4770K|ASUS Z87Pro|32GB DDR3 RAM|11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Black|256GB Crucial M4 SSD+2TB WD HDD|4X LG BD-RE|32" Acer Predator Z321QU 165Hz G-Sync (2540x1440)|Logitech Z-323 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Pro

Explorer (MSI GL63 8RE-629 Laptop):
Intel Core i7 8750H|16GB DDR4 RAM|6GB GeForce GTX 1060|128GB SSD+1TB HDD|15.6" Widescreen (1920x1080)|Logitech R-20 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Home
JSLTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 09:08 AM   #6
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendor View Post
It useful for different things. I don't like doing forum business on the phone because i find the keyboard too fiddly to use for anything longer than a couple of sentences. I'll tell you something, though. I barely use it at all for making calls or sending texts. I use the email on it all the time. For some reason it seems easier than writing replies on forums - I dont know why.

It's so handy for things like ebay. Ive even gotten over my original fear of using it to pay for stuff and I'm as happy using PayPal on it as on my desktop PC.

I have no interest in watcing movies on it or playing games, But then I wouldnt watch movies on my dek top either. The one thing I would love to be on it is a PDF reader and storage. Oh yeah, and an end to the stupid data tarrifs for using it abroad. It would be nice if the battery lasted a bit longer too.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-10, 09:23 PM   #7
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Being a silly Nokia follower I use an E72.

In end of March the phone went dead after it failed in the middle an update process.

Took almost 4 weeks before I got my phone back. They changed the whole engine so I've got a new IMEI(with the old casing).

what I'm fond of is the GPS. aside from that some minor application. In truth smartphones are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay inferior to a PC.
Haven't really reinstalled the apps I've lost due to the repair.

As about email I was forced to change my secure email password because Nokia's flagship 'smartphone' can't recognize a key from the standard keyboard. The input to the character is simply unavailable.
Old 06-19-10, 03:46 PM   #8
JSLTIGER
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

@ Herr-Berbunch,

Are you happy with your Hero? My dad doesn't want to spring for the EVO, but he did say that he was willing to pick up Heroes for the family...they're going for $20 on Wirefly with a 2 year Sprint contract.
Intel Core i7 4770K|ASUS Z87Pro|32GB DDR3 RAM|11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Black|256GB Crucial M4 SSD+2TB WD HDD|4X LG BD-RE|32" Acer Predator Z321QU 165Hz G-Sync (2540x1440)|Logitech Z-323 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Pro

Explorer (MSI GL63 8RE-629 Laptop):
Intel Core i7 8750H|16GB DDR4 RAM|6GB GeForce GTX 1060|128GB SSD+1TB HDD|15.6" Widescreen (1920x1080)|Logitech R-20 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Home
JSLTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 08:22 AM   #9
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Post your cell/mobile here. What are you using, what do you like/dislike about it?

I have been using a super cheap Go Phone from Wal-mart for about 2 years, because my last nice phone was drowned on a motorcycle ride. So, I grabbed a $15 phone from Wal-mart and put my chip in it.

Since I am going to the wilds of Denmark next week, I decided to move up to e better phone, one that will work world-wide, has a decent camera, and storage. I chose the Samsung Solstice.

It is very thin and small, so I can carry it in a pocket, as opposed to a belt clip or holster. It has a 2MP camera, takes video, can be expanded to 8GB with a micro-SD chip. The only cons so far is removing the battery cover--definitely not easy, and knowing I am carrying an expensive phone as opposed to my previous "disposable" one means I actually have to take care of it. It was nice not having to worry about it. I guess I'll get used to that.

Haha, I'm so funny!

Last night at the teaching sessions I am attending, the instructor was talking about how the schools are encouraging students to BYOT (bring your own tech), mainly bring their cell phones and use them to respond to questions by the teacher. (Which I think is goofy and unnecessary, that's what hands and arms are for. Plus: our school district is impoverished, 80% of the kids get free breakfast and free lunch, so wth are they doing with $400 smart phones? But that's for another thread,,, ) So, the instructor told the class, let's try it, pull out your phone and text blah blah...

So everyone (over 20 people in attendance) pulls out some version of the iphone or android smart phone exept Der Onkel...

I'm still rocking that Samsung Solstice.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 09:16 AM   #10
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

If it works, it works.

I don't quite know how phones in class are supposed to help, does the teacher ask a question and they all Google the answer, and then text it to the teacher?

Whilst we're in this thread, I upgraded in Jan to a Galaxy SII - I'm going to ignore the SIII that is being hyped-up at the moment.
Old 05-11-12, 04:38 PM   #11
Egan
Admiral

Using a Motorola Defy which is a great little phone, even if it comes heavily loaded with Motorola bloatware. I bought it as a replacement for my truly awful Samsung Galaxy and have been pretty happy with it, probably because of the 9 months of hell I had with the Samsung. Only problems with it are the aforementioned bloatware and the fact it can be fairly capricious about sending Emails. Aside from that, it's a great handset and almost as good as my old iPhone was.
Old 05-11-12, 08:22 PM   #12
andy_311
The Old Man

Downloads: 82

Nokia 5800
Old 05-11-12, 08:38 PM   #13
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Using a Motorola Defy which is a great little phone, even if it comes heavily loaded with Motorola bloatware. I bought it as a replacement for my truly awful Samsung Galaxy and have been pretty happy with it, probably because of the 9 months of hell I had with the Samsung. Only problems with it are the aforementioned bloatware and the fact it can be fairly capricious about sending Emails. Aside from that, it's a great handset and almost as good as my old iPhone was.

You can send emails with a phone?
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 02:21 AM   #14
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Quote:

And check out SUBSIM.com.
Old 05-12-12, 07:36 PM   #15
Egan
Admiral

Quote:
When it's in the mood to, yep. Actually, I mostly communicate via email these days. To be honest, I can't actually remember the last time I used made a call on my phone. Must be months. 600 free minutes a month and I doubt I've used 60 in year I've had this handset.

I love smart phones. Between that and my iPad I feel like I'm living in Star Trek.

Tags
mobile, phone