SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-16-10, 08:45 AM   #166
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91
Uploads: 0

TDW,

I understand that your IRAI mod still need much of work and your time, you have in plans many mailstones for this mod and I should be patient, but...

What about AI torpedoes?
1) At your video plane AI is attacking stopped ship, but what about moving target? AI should know distance, AoB, speed of target and changes his course to successful attack. Ok, this problem is gone when attacked ship is unarmed, closed, slow merchant attacked by plane, but what about far, fast, or high-AA warship? What about calculation perfect distance to push torpedo for attack?
2) What about AI submarine attack at warships/merchants/surfaced and submerged submarines? The human must know all parameters to the TDC, but AI should decide about torpedo speed/kind/depth? This is problem with best moment to attack, calculate to chance attack for high-valuable target and be safe too... Or maybe better solution is surface attack? Or attack by deck guns?
3) What about AI torpedo attack by light warships? On my experience from SH2vsDC and E:RT it looks, that the very dangerous antisub weapon was torpedo shoot by light warships too (human DD keep parallel course to detected submarine and at first try to attack by torpedo salvo at periscope depth). It is possible with this mod?

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 08:58 AM   #167
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antar View Post
What about AI torpedoes?
1) At your video plane AI is attacking stopped ship, but what about moving target? AI should know distance, AoB, speed of target and changes his course to successful attack. Ok, this problem is gone when attacked ship is unarmed, closed, slow merchant attacked by plane, but what about far, fast, or high-AA warship? What about calculation perfect distance to push torpedo for attack?
2) What about AI submarine attack at warships/merchants/surfaced and submerged submarines? The human must know all parameters to the TDC, but AI should decide about torpedo speed/kind/depth? This is problem with best moment to attack, calculate to chance attack for high-valuable target and be safe too... Or maybe better solution is surface attack? Or attack by deck guns?
3) What about AI torpedo attack by light warships? On my experience from SH2vsDC and E:RT it looks, that the very dangerous antisub weapon was torpedo shoot by light warships too (human DD keep parallel course to detected submarine and at first try to attack by torpedo salvo at periscope depth). It is possible with this mod?
1) the devs didn't provide any means for setting the AI torps parameters before firing. All firing is controlled by the unit. I wish there was a way to make the AI torp 'lead' the target but there isn't. For them to hit a moving target is a miracle at best - it's more just an annoyance for the attacked unit of watching out for the torpedo and not turning into it's path

2) I have yet to rewrite the Sub AI but I can tell you that the devs didn't expose any way to set it's torp parameters. Once again it's all controlled by the unit.

3) as I've been looking through the files, there are some ships that have weapons capable of firing torps. Problem is the devs didn't expose any way to make them fire those torps. They exposed ways to force them to fire DCs. We need that same method or something like it in order for the AI ships to fire AI torps. I can't even tell if a ship has AI torps or not by code.

The AI is severely crippled in SH5. If the devs could expose more methods for the AI it would help tremendously. The airplane AI needs this badly. Maybe the devs have this coded in already. If they do then there's no document or list saying what all available methods are to use - there's a document for the ships but I've found that it isn't complete. For the airplanes I went through the files and generated my own list. I have to make a list for the sub AI also yet as one wasn't provided
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 08:59 AM   #168
Rickster1
Chief

Downloads: 508

Great work, please keep it up as your hard work makes this game better and better
Rickster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 12:10 PM   #169
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

doing a little digging in the files for items I want to see working and found that the mines are in the game and they have the necessary controllers to detonate on impact with them. Now makes we wonder why I never see any

Also found 3 little gems that are included in the .eqp files of some ships but never see firing:

Torpedo_Tubes_21in_GER
Torpedo_Tubes_Mk14
Graf_Spee_Torpedoes_GER

The reason they don't fire anything is that they are missing controllers. We'll have to see if we can fix this Would love to see the ships firing torpedoes at subs or other ships
Old 07-16-10, 12:55 PM   #170
SteelViking
The Old Man

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
doing a little digging in the files for items I want to see working and found that the mines are in the game and they have the necessary controllers to detonate on impact with them. Now makes we wonder why I never see any

Also found 3 little gems that are included in the .eqp files of some ships but never see firing:

Torpedo_Tubes_21in_GER
Torpedo_Tubes_Mk14
Graf_Spee_Torpedoes_GER

The reason they don't fire anything is that they are missing controllers. We'll have to see if we can fix this Would love to see the ships firing torpedoes at subs or other ships
Nice finds
But, are you saying that mines could be implemented? How would one go about it? Surely if it was as easy as say, adding them in terrain editor, someone would have done it already. Or is there no 3d model for them?

He sank 198,650 tons....who you ask?....Erich Topp, that's who!
SteelViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 04:59 PM   #171
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 155

Hi ,and thank TDW for works , Great

for the mines and nets , i have see the 3dMeshs in the game :

C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\data\Library\AntiSubNet.dat

and C:\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 5\data\Library\NavalMine.dat

and ohter 3d things once in .DAT ,once in .GR2

this game is a " casse-tetes " in french
BIGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10, 08:13 PM   #172
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The Mines and Nets don't work because they are not programed into the
Class Type Library it seems.

Type 500 and 501 don't work.
Re-class them and they can be placed with the Mission editor.

I could not test in-Game to see if they worked.
Old 07-16-10, 08:14 PM   #173
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
The Mines and Nets don't work because they are not programed into the
Class Type Library it seems.

Type 500 and 501 don't work.
Re-class them and they can be placed with the Mission editor.

I could not test in-Game to see if they worked.
re-class as environmental or ship or ??
Old 07-16-10, 08:20 PM   #174
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I did a ship just to test if the Mission Editor would accept them.
I also Classed a ship as a 500 and Mission Editor crashed.
You also need to move the files to correct folders for Class.
Old 07-16-10, 08:39 PM   #175
Vorkapitan
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 1367

DID We have an AI?

Great mod...we needed this for a very long time.

Thanks DW!

Joe
Vorkapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 03:15 AM   #176
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

v0.0.9 released. See post #1 for details
Old 07-17-10, 03:21 AM   #177
SteelViking
The Old Man

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4

Quote:
v0.0.9 released. See post #1 for details
TDW you are all over the place

Any word on the mines?

He sank 198,650 tons....who you ask?....Erich Topp, that's who!
SteelViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 03:36 AM   #178
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Quote:
v0.0.9 - in Bombs.sim all the entries depth precision were cut in half from 5 to 2.5 (they are more precise now)
- in DC_barrels.sim the DCs depth precision were cut in half from 5 to 2.5 (they are more precise now)
- adjusted values in sim.cfg
- adjusted DC parameters for DCs used in KGun, YGun, DC racks, and air depth charge
Lol...
With this changes the Black May will be real "black"... already at the medium difficulty level.

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 04:36 AM   #179
Captain Joe
Seaman

Downloads: 563
Please help

Please Help TDW, I love your work and others too but have a problem, I have tried all combinations of mods including non except newUIs ver 3.5.0 and irai any versions, Have not got to testing ship AI yet but plane AI work well the first time I come to them they shoot me to bits but if I dive and loose them and then resurface then no planes see me from then on. even when flying directly over me on a clear day. I have found Saving and resuming resets this and repeats itself, there has been a few times that it did work fine so problem is intermittent. also SOMETIMES if I dive planes still attack last known spot continuously. Im not sure if this is as much as they have been programed or where the problem could be, I have treid ALL I can think of. Please Help!!!

AND thank you and all the modders for making this game what it is.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 09:53 AM   #180
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joe View Post
Please Help TDW, I love your work and others too but have a problem, I have tried all combinations of mods including non except newUIs ver 3.5.0 and irai any versions, Have not got to testing ship AI yet but plane AI work well the first time I come to them they shoot me to bits but if I dive and loose them and then resurface then no planes see me from then on. even when flying directly over me on a clear day. I have found Saving and resuming resets this and repeats itself, there has been a few times that it did work fine so problem is intermittent. also SOMETIMES if I dive planes still attack last known spot continuously. Im not sure if this is as much as they have been programed or where the problem could be, I have treid ALL I can think of. Please Help!!!
Of all the AI in the game the airplanes are the most limited (and thus crippled). They should be the most configurable as they were a deadly thing for a uboat to encounter.
There are very little in the way of functions to use to control the airplane AI and thus is why you see this intermittent behavior.
A plane will attack ONLY if it has bombs and/or torpedoes. I had to make it this way in order for the airplane AI to seem partially alive. If you are detected and they attack you, they will continue to attack as long as they have bombs and/or torpedoes. Once they have no more bombs and torpedoes they start following waypoints again (Had to make it this way for them to leave the area and not constantly attack a ghost spot if you submerged). Now they CAN get stuck in an endless loop of attacking the same spot IF they fail to fire all bombs/torpedoes before you submerge. There's no way to fix that given the limited functions available to the airplane AI currently (I hope one day the devs give a patch with more attention to AI).
Since I've been playing with the AI and making everything smarter and more random, this has caused other anomolies to surface. The airplane AI now attacks you AND other units it spots. Ships and other airplanes now attack enemy airplanes they discover. It's quite possible that the airplanes you are reporting just flying over you attacked another unit before they spotted you and thus have no bombs or torpedoes (and thus are not allowed to attack). Like I said the airplane AI is the most severely limited and crippled AI in the game