SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-19-10, 04:12 PM   #1
RobP
Watch

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default (SC) Incorrect ships head marker?

Hi All,

Just fired up SC for the first time in a long time and patched it to 1.08. However, whilst going through the tutorial I can't help thinking that the ships head marker is 180 degrees out!

Consider the image below:

Here I have a course of 222 degrees, yet on the sonar my ships head marker is at around 42 degrees - 180 degrees out! Is this a known bug?

Also I'd expect the silent zone to be at 222 (at ships head) as the array is being towed from behind, so ships noise will be in front.

Is there a patch to fix this? Otherwise it'a a pretty big immersion killer!

Thanks
RobP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-10, 06:36 PM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Take another good look at the button panel and data display. You have selected your sphere array. (which is at the bow) So the deadzone is at 42 degrees, opposite to your course.
Old 02-19-10, 07:04 PM   #3
RobP
Watch

Lol! Doh!

Yes I had the spherical selected and now understand why the quiet zone is where it is

That said I still think the SHM is 180 degrees out. No matter which array I select the down arrow with the trailing line seems to be 180 degrees out. To me that line on the display is there to let you see which way your ship is pointed.

I'm sure 688i didn't have this problem or I would have noticed. Will have to break it out just to check.

Thanks
Old 02-20-10, 06:52 AM   #4
RobP
Watch

Just noticed that on page 68 of the manual there is a statement which says 'A thin line beneath the V indicator indicates the direction in which your submarine’s stern is pointing' - which would indicate why I am seeing what I'm seeing.

The problem is that I was an ex-radar / sonar maintainer in the Royal Navy and all our displays, whether radar, active sonar or towed array always had this marker as the ships head marker so that the operators could tell which direction their ship was travelling relative to the contact.

Unless submariners do things backwards I don't see any reason why the game represents it in this way. To me it is far more useful to know your ships direction rather than the reciperocal.

Are there any ex subbies here who can confirm? This just seems plain weird to me!

Thanks