SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-16-09, 10:02 AM   #1
tg
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default 688i

Could someone tell me if janes 688i runs on windows vista?
Every time i try to run it appears an error message "failed to load a graphics file". I tried to install it again, and this time it doesnt complete the instalation.
Can anyone tell me what's happening?
tg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 06:23 PM   #2
Shearwater
Captain

Downloads: 27

I already had it installed, and it ran without any problems whatsoever (on Vista, that is).
But now, I have the very same problem. Every time I want to install the game, it says "ERROR, Copying files" and all I can do is to cancel.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-09, 06:39 PM   #3
Shearwater
Captain

I got it! It works.
Turned out that the original installation was the cause I couldn't install a second time. But now it worked, and here's what I did:

Go to the Windows/System32 folder and delete the following files:
EA1.UIL (there may be some other "EA... .UIL files, you can delete them as well)
EAEXEC
EAREMOVE

That did the trick. Yay me!
Maybe that solves your problem as well, tg. The game was more or less installed (the installer broke off near the end saying "ERROR copying file"), but every time I wanted to start it I got the exact same error message you posted above.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-26-09, 07:17 PM   #4
tg
Swabbie

Default 688i

thanks a lot for the info shearwater. i deleted the files and i was able to install it. however, im still not able to play it. I already tryed the patch, the new dll files, i tryed to run it in compatibility mode, i tried install it and run it as an administrator but the game still doesnt work.
Any sugestions im starting to get desperate.
Old 10-27-09, 07:04 PM   #5
Shearwater
Captain

I'm beginning to be at my wit's end here as well

Maybe your computer doesn't recognize the CD. It's a wild guess of course, but the best explanation I can come up with at the moment ...
I have made an image of my CD and mount it onto Daemon Tools Lite whenever I need it - works like a charm. Whenever I forget to mount the image, I get that "graphic failed to load" error message.
I have set my .exe to Win98 compatibilty mode, but I think it doesn't affect the game. I know it runs on Vista (though after the first installation, it took me about 5 hours to get it to work again ), or at least it runs on my version (32-bit, maybe that has something to say).

The uninstall procedure I've posted above was actually a workaround for a different Jane's game, IIRC. Maybe I can dig up the link again where I found it, but it may take a while. I'm afraid that's all for the time being.
Old 10-29-09, 10:03 AM   #6
tg
Swabbie

i dont think that it is from the cd; aparently it reads it without any difficulty. however the game starts to run, it shows the first screen, the one where the sub as its bow covered with a flag, then the screen turns black and i hear the first notes of the music, and then... it crashes, but no error message appears, the screen just stays black. by the way my windows is vista home premium but i dont know if it is 32bit