SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-08, 09:38 PM   #1
Urspankd
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default 688 help again

I am having the worst time in the single mission Against All Odds. I know it is the hardest onein the game but for the life of me I cant get a torpedo to hit anything. I travel south like the online manuals tell me to. I start to pick up the two slavas and still no akuls to be found. I am using ESm bearings and getting short fixes on them. I get them past me and start to turn arounsd to shoot them from behind.

I am locking for 10-15 mintues and still I cant get a torpedo to hit anythign they just go rightby or shutdown on me. I know they are well with range ( sometimes as close as 10,000)

they are acting like i have no fix on them when I have been tracking them for sometime.

I am about to lose my mind

Any help
Old 03-17-08, 03:36 PM   #2
Sub Sailor
Commander

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 0
Default Auto Crew

If you are ready using auto crew see if you have the cheats for those stations checked. You will get all kinds of "I never use auto crew" well I been playing 688i since the 90s and when you are trying to learn there is to much to do as CO. Think about this in real life the Captain has a whole crew to help him. Now playing with out the cheats, fine, but use your crew. That is reality. ESM is going to depend on whether the other guy has his sensors on. Good chance the Helix will detect your ESM Mast and for sure do not cavitate.
The Akulas are out front one near the Whales and shallow, and the other is below the layer, and South of the shallow one.
If none of this works I don't have a clue.

Good luck,

Ron
Sub Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-08, 05:49 PM   #3
Urspankd
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I havent heard nothing, no whales at all.

I start the mission and there is usually a trawler in area and I pick him up just fine. I start heading south at just below the layer so my array can stay above it and after a while I pick up one contact.

I have noticed that you can pick up a small group of green contacts about where the slavas and carrieer are going to go through

I have yet to get a clear signal on the carrier.

I have even gone as far as using active sonar just to see if I could get something, and still to not much comes from that.
Old 06-07-08, 01:46 AM   #4
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Sailor
If you are ready using auto crew see if you have the cheats for those stations checked. You will get all kinds of "I never use auto crew" well I been playing 688i since the 90s and when you are trying to learn there is to much to do as CO. Think about this in real life the Captain has a whole crew to help him. Now playing with out the cheats, fine, but use your crew. That is reality. ESM is going to depend on whether the other guy has his sensors on. Good chance the Helix will detect your ESM Mast and for sure do not cavitate.
The Akulas are out front one near the Whales and shallow, and the other is below the layer, and South of the shallow one.
If none of this works I don't have a clue.

Good luck,

Ron
I could not agree more! I think it is neat to use the sonar stuff once in awhile, but let's face it the CO aint the sonar tech! I served under four CO's on two different 637 class boats and never saw one of them operating the BQQ 5 or the fire control. Sure they may go into the sonar shack to see whats going on in regards to a particulat contact but that' it.
Frame57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-08, 01:39 PM   #5
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

I will agree actually too. I used to do everything myself, but I find that things run much smoother with autocrew handleing most stuff. Especially in a high contact environment.