SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-18-08, 06:14 PM   #1
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Default 688 Hunter-Killer - any tips?

Hi everyone,

After skipping out on Sonalysts games for a long long time, I bought the big Steam pack over Christmas which included 688 HK, SC and DW. I decided I'll try going at them in order, starting with the oldest.

Anything I should be aware of before getting into it? Anything like LWAMI mod that is needed to enhance it? Any key readings I should do before jumping in? I checked the game and it works fine on my laptop, just a matter of starting it up.

I hope to go through slowly and work my way throught the games gradually. With luck, maybe by the start of 2009 I'll finally be in DW :p

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 03:04 AM   #2
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Did it come with the manual? I still have the original manual for this game.
Old 10-16-08, 10:32 AM   #3
Sub Sailor
Commander

Downloads: 66
Default You will like 688i

This is a dated sim but really fun.
Limit depth to 850, deeper you will get a lot of hull noise. If you use time compression when in the presence of the enemy they will get you. Helix in this game are pure hell.
also there are many custom missions around, I have most of them but no where to post them. Plus the only way I have ever shared missions is by e-mail. NEVER load more than 300 custom missions in the scenario file, it will crash. Bill taught me that.

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
Sub Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 11:32 AM   #4
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Be warned that 688i might accustom you to certain things that are different in SC and DW! For example, the towed array is not the best one to detect enemy subs in 688i, unlike the real item and what SC/DW model.

Get the latest patch with fixes here: http://www.subsim.com/subsim_files/patches2005.html#688

I played 688 a lot in its time, have great memories of that but IMHO Sub Command with SCXII/SCU beats it by far. Dangerous Waters is of interest for me because of the Kilo and the community for multiplayer, otherwise I would play only Sub Command as I like it better in general.
Old 10-16-08, 12:29 PM   #5
Blacklight
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 142

Quote:
Get the latest patch with fixes here: http://www.subsim.com/subsim_files/patches2005.html#688
If you just downloaded it from STEAM, it should already be patched to the latest version with the Realism V1.07 patch already in it.

Here's a site I found with a bunch of custom missions for 688i HK
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...8missions.html

688i can also only handle a certain number of scenarios in it's scenario folder or else it won't be able to handle it and crash (I forgot how many it can handle). When you reach that point, you can either manually swap scenarios out, or use the Scenario Manager you can get here which seems to work kind of like our friend "The Generic Mod Enabler" (which I imagine you could probably also use for it).
http://www.lrim.com/scmgmt/help/toc.html