SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-02-08, 06:57 PM   #1
jp99gt
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default 688(i) vs SC skills

Hi,

I recently bought the NCP because I wanted to get into the 688(i) game. Years ago I had bought the old EA 688 atack sub game and enjoyed it, but couldn't get it to work under XP when I tried - so I found the NCP and upgraded.

688(i) is much improved over the EA game, and harder in many respects (more realistic, I know). My son and I are working through all the single missions and will start the campaigns soon.

My question is, how much harder will SC be to learn and effectively play? It seems to be more complicated than 688(i) from the little I've read, and I'm concerned about giving my son something too complicated to try. We're doing OK with 688 so far, but it was a big jump from the old EA game.

Plus we still have Fleet command to try and I did buy DW - but that one looks really tough!

Thanks for any advice/comments.

--Jim

(ps - I have some naval background, being a former nuke officer on the 'E' and having spent a patrol on 659 as a middie .... this is fun to try out the sims)
jp99gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-08, 02:27 AM   #2
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

688i was the original game and as such, later versions improved over it. I did not find any difficulties adapting from 688i to SC and then to DW when playing with the Los Angeles submarine, because stations and functionality of interface are virtually the same. If you stick to the good old LA nuke, you will see that differences come out mainly in sensors and AI refinements. There are some major changes in those, but nothing you can't adapt well to. For example, in 688i the broadband was the place to look for new contacts, while in SC and DW it more accurately is the narrow band, etc.

I wouldn't be afraid of DW, if you stick to one platform it can be easy to master soon, and the scalable difficulty level is always a nice help....anything you find too complicated at first, just let the auto crew do it If you are planning to progressively go from one to the next, then my advice would be to stick to the 688i for starters.

Also, remember that all three games have a bunch of info in the form of player written tutorials, and as such the best description and help for each game will be:

For 688i = The Bluebook of tactics

For SC = TimmyG's SCHQ TACMAN REV2

For DW = Landlubber's guide and the various specific platform guides (TLAM's Kilo guide, Mahuja's Frigate guide, Oneshot's Orion guide, etc...)

In any case, for the later titles the earlier manuals always have good info and some use. So I would recommend to get them either here at subsim.com downloads section or at Bill Nichol's site www.subguru.com

Happy hunting
Old 01-03-08, 08:09 PM   #3
jp99gt
Swabbie

Many thanks - that was extremely helpful.
Old 01-05-08, 04:27 PM   #4
Sub Sailor
Commander

Downloads: 66
Default SC is improved but I still play 688i

I started on 688i, still play it, just finished all the original missions and campaigns again and now playing created scenarios. There are some really excellent ones.
For me SC with SCXIIc is a great sim. I alternate between 688i and SCXIIc. I play DW some, the subs, no aircraft, or the FFG, seldom play the Russian subs in SC or DW.
Just remember even with NCP 688i is an old sim, but I will always beleive it was a great sim. I wish they would do a new one based on the Virginia.
If you find you need help with 688i let me know.

Have fun,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret)
Sub Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 11:20 PM   #5
jp99gt
Swabbie

Thanks Ron. I have been enjoying this so far, and I'm now due to start the first campaign after completing all the single missions. Worst part is dealing with all the pesky Helixes (what I wouldn't give to pop up to the surface and have a crewman fire a Stinger!).

I think after a campaign or two I'll start in with SC.

I see a lot of references to SC patches, like SCXIIc. Is there a thread or webpage listing what the patches are (what do they do)? And when I am ready to switch to SC, should I start with the plain version or should I jump to some patched version?

--Jim
Old 01-09-08, 11:42 PM   #6
Sub Sailor
Commander

Downloads: 66
Default Either way is fine

You can do it either way, SCXIIc is just a mod that gives you a wider experience, play is just the same. You can go to Bill's Subgru down load page and get everything you need.
You will find explanations of all the stuff you change etc.
I would probably start right out with SCXIIc, It made SC a really great Sim.

Ron
Sub Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-08, 07:25 AM   #7
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

If you ever want to train with a strike force both battle scenarios and mission objective scenarios as well as training exercises online PM me is a good way to learn because the AI isnt that brilliant.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote