SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-11, 01:12 AM   #1
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0
Default 688 Q's

Have had this game for many years, loved it. COuld never get it to work right on my old machine, now with the new build, it's running on XP. Patched to 1.07. installed the gfx DLL's since i was getting CTD's.

Two Questions.

1) Can I run it in a windowed mode?

2) Has the patch completely turned off the 3d views? I used to love that aspect of the game, being able to see the sub.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 06:58 PM   #2
Robsoie
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 0

1- not natively, i heard there was several applications able to make softwares run into windows, and so could be used to do so for 688(i) but i never tried any so i can't give advice.

2- yes the patch turned "off" some 3D options, but you can turn them back "on" in the file named 688HK.ini in the game directory.
Robsoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-11, 08:27 PM   #3
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

sweet thanks

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 09:43 AM   #4
zakarpatska
Loader

Downloads: 127

I don't believe 688i will run in windowed mode, at least I have never found a way. What you can do is set up a Windows installation in VirtualBox and the run 688i under VirtualBox. As VirtualBox runs in a window, your 688i will be running in that window, if you see what I mean. The downside is that 688i runs at 640x480 resolution so that means it will run in a 640x480 VirtualBox session which can look very small and be hard to read on a high resolution monitor such as 1920x1200. As far as I know there is no way to "scale up" the VirtualBox window in the same way as is possible with DosBox. VirtualBox works well for 688i since it only uses DirectDraw, but does not work for Sub Command or Dangerous Waters since they use Direct3D. The latest versions of VirtualBox do allow a form of Direct3D emulation by translating the Direct3D calls from the VirtualBox machine into OpenGL calls on the host (at least that is my limited understanding), but this does not work well, at least not yet, and is terribly slow even on high end machines and has drawing artifacts to boot. Maybe one day...
zakarpatska is offline   Reply With Quote