SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities > Eternal Patrol
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-17-09, 06:56 AM   #316
Te Kaha
Navy Dude

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 2

It's always very hard to lose a dear friend. Not knowing Zeb myself, I do feel for the relatives and for all who knew him personally, be it as Dad, Husband, Friend, or Comrade.

May he Rest In Peace.
Te Kaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-09, 12:34 PM   #317
Knipper
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 49
Uploads: 0

Rest in peace Skipper.
Old 08-18-09, 12:50 PM   #318
Beltza
Mate

Downloads: 128

Rest In Peace, sir.
Beltza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 04:13 PM   #319
Catherine Barton
VIP

Downloads: 0
Zeb Alford's Namesake

Zeb's mother had asthma until she was around 40. When she was a little girl and having a bad asthma attack, the doctor informed her parents, Carrie and Zeb Dickey, that he was unsure if she would make it through the night. Her father, Zeb Dickey, got down on his knees and promised God if she lived he would turn his life over to the Lord. Doris, Zeb's mother, made it through the night. The next morning Zeb was sitting at the breakfast table and a traveling preacher rode through the backyard on a horse. (This was in the early 1900's or the late 1800's.) Zeb Dickey jumped up, ran outside and told the preacher he wanted commit his life to the Lord. He did, came back inside and announced, "Wife, we have just become Baptist."
Zeb Dickey became the Treasurer of the Baptist Church and in charge of the Building Fund. When he died, a booklet was written about him and his numerous accomplishments. He was compared to a hickory tree. It was written that a hickory tree is one of the strongest trees. It said his strength, guidance, financial expertise and demeanor were some of the reasons the First Baptist Church became a reality.
I told Uncle Zeb this story over the phone a few years ago. He paused and became quiet. Slowly he told me that he had been fortunate enough to meet some of the most intriguing people in the world.
He said that of all the people he had known, the ones that meant the most to him were his grandparents, Carrie and Zeb Dickey.
Zeb's mother, Doris, became the organist of that church and served for 50 years. Because of her asthma, she could not run and play like the others, so they taught her piano.
She named her firstborn after her father, Zeb Dickey.

Submitted by Catherine Alford Barton, Zeb's niece.
Catherine Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 04:44 PM   #320
ToddBoston
Bilge Rat

Hi Peg,

Amy and I send our prayers and thoughts to you and your family.

We didn't get a chance to meet your Dad, but after reading these notes we got a little glimpse of him. He was quite a man and quite a father. My first thought coming to this thread was how much you look like your dad, Peg. But the stories about your dad also tell me how much else your dad gave you. His resolve, his purpose, his love of dancing, his heart - they are all there in you, Peg. He left a wonderful legacy in you. And I can see from your sisters notes, in them as well.

Love Todd and Amy
ToddBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 05:19 PM   #321
patti
VIP

Downloads: 1
Default Patti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Barton View Post
Zeb's mother had asthma until she was around 40. When she was a little girl and having a bad asthma attack, the doctor informed her parents, Carrie and Zeb Dickey, that he was unsure if she would make it through the night. Her father, Zeb Dickey, got down on his knees and promised God if she lived he would turn his life over to the Lord. Doris, Zeb's mother, made it through the night. The next morning Zeb was sitting at the breakfast table and a traveling preacher rode through the backyard on a horse. (This was in the early 1900's or the late 1800's.) Zeb Dickey jumped up, ran outside and told the preacher he wanted commit his life to the Lord. He did, came back inside and announced, "Wife, we have just become Baptist."
Zeb Dickey became the Treasurer of the Baptist Church and in charge of the Building Fund. When he died, a booklet was written about him and his numerous accomplishments. He was compared to a hickory tree. It was written that a hickory tree is one of the strongest trees. It said his strength, guidance, financial expertise and demeanor were some of the reasons the First Baptist Church became a reality.
I told Uncle Zeb this story over the phone a few years ago. He paused and became quiet. Slowly he told me that he had been fortunate enough to meet some of the most intriguing people in the world.
He said that of all the people he had known, the ones that meant the most to him were his grandparents, Carrie and Zeb Dickey.
Zeb's mother, Doris, became the organist of that church and served for 50 years. Because of her asthma, she could not run and play like the others, so they taught her piano.
She named her firstborn after her father, Zeb Dickey.

Submitted by Catherine Alford Barton, Zeb's niece.
Cathy,
of all the stories that Dad told us I don't think that I ever heard that one and it was wonderful. I had no idea how McComb Baptist started so thank you so much. I do remember that Dad told us the story of Mammaw always being sick with asthma and how she had to smoke "special " cigarettes that made her feel better and Dad found out much later in life that they were marijuana cigarettes! That was quite a story coming from Dad.
patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 08:41 PM   #322
cappy70
Ensign

Downloads: 5

Rest in Peace, Capt. Zeb.
Intel I7-4790K 4 Ghz
16 Gig Trident Claw DDR 3
2 x 760 GTX 2048 mem in SLI.
WD 1T Hd Ultra/WD Black 640
Corsair 850W PSU
cappy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-09, 09:06 PM   #323
peggy
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddBoston View Post
Hi Peg,

Amy and I send our prayers and thoughts to you and your family.

We didn't get a chance to meet your Dad, but after reading these notes we got a little glimpse of him. He was quite a man and quite a father. My first thought coming to this thread was how much you look like your dad, Peg. But the stories about your dad also tell me how much else your dad gave you. His resolve, his purpose, his love of dancing, his heart - they are all there in you, Peg. He left a wonderful legacy in you. And I can see from your sisters notes, in them as well.

Love Todd and Amy

Dear Todd and Amy,

How special to hear from you and I thank you for your kind words. Very uplifting and thoughtful. I hope you both are well and I wish good blessings for you both.

Love,

Peggy
peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 12:38 AM   #324
Johann Vilthomsen
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 28

Rest in Peace!!!

Old 08-19-09, 11:55 AM   #325
u-168
Planesman

Downloads: 89

Never forgotten i salute this hero.

U-168

..- | | | | | .- .-. -.-. - .. -.-. | .-- --- .-.. ..-. | --- -. | - .... . | .--. .-. --- .-- .-..

http://www.scoutnet.nl/~inter/morse/morseform.html

Commander Of The Vladimir Lenin Akula-Typhoon Class Ballistic Missile Submarine
u-168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 12:34 PM   #326
whyattlll
Bilge Rat

Default GITMO and beyond

As a member of 2nd Battalion 8th Marines it was my great honor and privilege to serve at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, under the command of Capt. Zeb Alford, USN. SEMPER FI, Capt. Zeb.
whyattlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 06:08 PM   #327
Baby Katie
VIP

Downloads: 2
Default Final farewell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann Vilthomsen View Post
Rest in Peace!!!

I love this image. I have one of my Dad's Flag from one of the Submarines he was the Commander of and I still display it on certain days at my house. As the girl that followed in his footsteps in the military I am extremely patriotic to the values the men and women of the military have given to the Flag.
Thank-you all for serving our country
Baby Katie
Baby Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-09, 06:19 PM   #328
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

As an 'outsider', an Englishman, and as a WW2 researcher for a hobby, I recognise those that have 'done good' - and this gent was one of them. Because of the likes of him, patrolling dangerous waters whilst we slept in our beds, we were ABLE to sleep in those beds. We did not think of the might patrolling our waters, but they were there, unseen, silent, protecting.

I contacted the site that was linked and sent a message (as a none American, I am not allowed to join it) and their reply was gracious and wonderful. I have been 'accepted' as an honorary member!! I cannot join but there in spirit, what a lovely thought.

Speak his name, never will he be gone .............
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-09, 02:15 PM   #329
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Wonderful story Catherine, and truly faith is like the hickory, and it grows stronger as we practice it. So wonderful to see this sharing of special stories and memories, for that will be such a help for the Captain's loved ones in the days and years to come, the memories will be a bond for love to flow between him and all of you. God Bless you all and have a wonderful day.

Salute
Old 08-20-09, 06:42 PM   #330
Rosencrantz
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78

My condolences.

-RC-
Rosencrantz is offline   Reply With Quote