SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-13, 07:30 PM   #16
Rambler
Jaded Skipper

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

I can confirm that this fixed my CTD issue in port. I am using Steam version with latest version of RFB on Win7 x64.

Thanks for the tip!
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 04:12 AM   #17
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1
Back in April 2005, was released SH3_Bearing_Overlay_3.0 mod... author Pato - quotation "Reworked numbers lines and added range circles up to 3000mts". In the mod author used TGA image 6330x6330x32bit with RLE compression... disk size ~ 7.2 MB, memory size ~ more 110...150 МБ, IIRC. This mod have not worked with ATI video cards because of problems RLE compression/decompression of these cards (big image). I do not remember already how the problem was manifested... CTD or somehow different...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...

Last edited by Anvart; 07-21-13 at 04:27 AM.
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-13, 05:54 PM   #18
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 345
this is a nifty little mod.

thanks,
drakkhen
drakkhen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-14, 06:25 PM   #19
Genferret
Loader

Downloads: 36

I want to give a big thanks for this find. I just came back to playing SHIV after not playing in a while. When I last played I was still on XP and didn't have these issues -- now with Win7 its been CTDing but this has fixed that.

Thanks

--Genferret
Genferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 07:38 PM   #20
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

My thoughts are why some have an issue with it and others do not.

Many who play the game do not need to change anything at all.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-14, 10:50 PM   #21
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 2

My theory is that it's a combination of mods used and graphics/sound settings. I didn't really run into issues until I maxed everything out and started running TMO, RSRDC, OTC, and Trav's at 1600x900 60hz. I do that by enabling the OTC 16:9 last, btw. Seems to be working fine now but it would CTD every time I went to the bridge or looked through the scope outside the harbor at Pearl until I remembered to apply this.

I'm running Win 7 64 w/ 8 gb RAM. I got the game through Steam and the 4 gig patch wouldn't even try to work. Stumbling across this thread saved me a lot of trouble.
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 03:50 AM   #22
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

Don't forget to remove write protection from SH4.exe or the fix will not work.
It took me three years to find out about this

Also with my ATI card, the patch did not work per se. The graphics driver runs out of memory because it expects 2 Gb ram for kernel and drivers. So I had to manually configure it with the /PAE /2900 switch in boot.ini. Only now it seems to work.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-14, 04:34 PM   #23
steve1
Watch

Downloads: 1108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenjen View Post
CFF is saying I can't save without renaming the file.....I hope to get this figured out because I love SH4 with mods but the CTD's have got me where I don't play it at all.

I noticed the read only tab was already unchecked in the SH4 properties tab as well when I opened it. I don't know if that's a problem as I stumbled upon this a few minutes ago & haven't been able to research at all, it's just an observation. And I'm using Windows7 64bit.

Edit: I figured out how to edit the properties by cutting/dragging the SH4 app file from the program files folder to my desktop, editing it there & saving it, then putting it back into the SH4 program files folder. The other problem I was having with Windows 7 still exists & that is that the SH4 app crashes after the intro movie. I've tried compatibility mode & running as administrator & still no dice.

Edit#2 - I have now fixed the blank screen freeze after the intro movies; it was a simple matter of unchecking the tab in the Nvidia control panel for the 3D manager from "use my emphasis on quality" to "let the 3D application decide" I can now use everything but the U-Boat missions add-on I bought in 2008 through Ubi & D2D.....since they changed the Ubi store & D2D was bought out by Gamefly there's no end to the headaches. Basically I have the original 1.5 patch/U-Boat add on file saved but my activation key no longer works. The only help I've gotten so far is "Is your firewall configured to let it through?.....It's turned off so I hope so lol

I'll never buy another game D/L; it's a disc or nothing from now on.
Thanks for the Nvidia Control panel tip- you're a gentleman & a scholar.
steve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 09:37 AM   #24
Marka Ragnos
Weps

Downloads: 184

I recently purchased a new computer and when i was done playing those shiny new games i always end up back playing silent hunter 4.
I had really strange graphic glitches to the point i was giving up

But this 4 gig patch fixed that, so i thank you all because of you i can still enjoy my all-time favorite game
Old 08-04-15, 08:44 AM   #25
littelmaster
Swabbie

Downloads: 128

Thank you guys J
The 4gb patch fix my CTD problem also.
System Intel i7, Windows 7 64bit, 8gb Ram
littelmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-15, 09:07 AM   #26
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Something that's been talked about within this thread several times, yet a picture is worth a thousand words. When using LAA, or another "4gb patch", you need to make sure the "Properties" within the "SH4.exe" file is NOT set to READ ONLY.

The SH4.exe file is in your main game folder.....usually defaulted to being named "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific". Look for the black sub icon. There are two icons like it, but only one is the SH4.exe file:

As above, right click the "SH4.exe" file to show its "Properties" menu. Under the "General" tab make sure the "Attributes......Read-only" box is unchecked. If it is check marked, uncheck it as the above image shows; then strike the "Apply" key, saving your settings. I'm pretty sure the game has this "Attribute" set as default to "Read-Only" (the fix will not work as long as it's Read-Only).

This will set up the games .exe file to accept the changes LAA or any other 4gb patch will make when you add it to your game.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 07-09-17 at 08:16 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-15, 09:53 AM   #27
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Something that's been talked about within this thread several times, yet a picture is worth a thousand words. When using LAA, or another "4gb patch", you need to make sure the "Properties" within the "SH4.exe" file is NOT set to READ ONLY.

The SH4.exe file is in your main game folder.....usually defaulted to being named "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific". Look for the black sub icon. There are two icons like it, but only one is the SH4.exe file:

As above, right click the SH4.exe file to show the files "Properties" menus. Under the "General" tab make sure the "Attributes......Read-only" box is unchecked. If it was, uncheck it as the above image shows, then strike the "Apply" key, saving your settings.

This will set up the games .exe file to accept the changes LAA or any other 4gb patch will make when you add it to your game.
True. Ever I reinstalled SH4 the sh4.exe file is write protected.

Also help to FPS and lags is the d3d9 Antilag, use it with 4 Gb Patch.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-15, 07:47 AM   #28
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Fitzcarraldo, so you use the "d3d9 Antilag" app, and it works as defined (found HERE) ?

Here's an older thread regarding the app.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 11-15-15, 12:56 PM   #29
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Default [FIX] SH4 crash-to-desktop fix (memory issue)

SH4 was crashing when i exited through the sh4 menu system which seems odd. and it is not consistent...sometimes it happens and sometimes not. so i gave this fix a try and i still have the problem.

my config: dell i7 quad core 8 gig ram video is Nvidia Gforce gt720
running FOTRS plus some minor game play mods.

any ideas are welcome.
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-15, 11:12 AM   #30
CapnScurvy
Admiral

@ mark bonamer, you'll need to give us more info regarding your system.

What's your OS version?

What bit....32 or 64?

What version of the game are you using? How did you install the game.....From a download? From where? From a DVD disk? Which one? Which disk drive/folder is it installed on your computer?

Is your "main game" files free from corruption? You've run the "Check Snapshot" feature found in the JSGME app (provided you took a "Snapshot" just after installing a fresh copy of the game AND adding the JSGME app)?

You state you're using "FOTRS plus some minor game play mods"........What are they? Is FOTRS compatible with the SH4 game version that you have? Are the other mods compatible with the game version that you have? Are they all compatible with each other? Have you tried removing each one (one at a time) to see if the omission makes a difference? Are you replaying a particular saved point that's causing the problem? Tried to use just the stock game.....still having an issue?

What are you using for the "4 gig patch"?.....Large Address Aware, or something else?

Is it installed properly? I can give you an image of what the LAA will report IF its installed correctly.

Lot's to know before giving advice.

Quote:

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 11-17-15 at 02:54 PM.