SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-17-19, 10:04 AM   #76
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0
Default Progress Report #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotRSU Mod Team View Post
All,

Loving the feedback so far....

Please keep reporting any problems you encounter, our team will try to resolve them.. as long as they are not hard-coded...

It's taken it's time to be at this release stage, thank you for staying with us..
I've run two complete patrols to date under the new Mod out of Midway, starting 12/9/41 in a Tambor class boat:
1. Both patrol results highly successful (75% reality using Auto Targeting and external cameras);
2. ZERO Anomalies to report;
3. Fun Factor: 10/10

Thank you all - great job.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 08:03 PM   #77
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1755

So far everything is running great. Love it!
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 08:07 PM   #78
J0313
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I have found that any "bad boy" behavior in the game seems to accentuate the wind and sea sound. Among the behaviors would be of course, shelling out to Windows, but also use of a higher TC setting, which I have not figured out what that level might be, and I doubt if that would be consistent either, in that it is probably hardware related. But the one thing that seems to do it also is the use of the external camera, apparently even in close to your sub, and I don't understand that. I'll experiment with the new camera files and the old from pre-v0.92RC3, and see what I get with that. Very frustrating though. If you look at the video I made in Post #4 where I'm on the Narwhal in 15ms winds, I did not use TC, went outside the boat, and stayed close-by, but to start the video recording, I had to shell-out to Windows to start the app, since the game crashes if I start the recording app prior to the game loading... but you will hear the wind and sea when I'm at the NavMap in that video, and it is just as loud as being outside. Can't have that, so we want to find the fault there...

For that radar THEBERBSTER, turn the radar on, set to "continuous sweep", since it is off by default, and see if it doesn't rotate, unless you're looking at the early SD, and then it does not rotate. The image looks like a parabolic antennae though - at least, to my eyes...
I have had that problem with the non-rotating antenna and have reported it twice, long ago. It seems to happen when coming out of high TC settings and stays. Never rotates again.
Old 11-17-19, 08:54 PM   #79
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Starting a new campaign from June 42 with a Gato.

All ok..Arriving to Midway.

Many thanks and best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 10:20 PM   #80
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi pb
Started the game tonight and the radar was doing a sweep correctly.
Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
I recall having same problem some time ago with old FOTRSU version.
Can’t find back my posts here, but i think it solved by itself...or was it when i got new rig with more RAM?...can’t remember.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
I have had that problem with the non-rotating antenna and have reported it twice, long ago. It seems to happen when coming out of high TC settings and stays. Never rotates again.
Let me ask some questions about this then... When losing the rotation, do you know that the radar had in fact been rotating previously? Do you recall how high your TC was at the time you found it would not then rotate? Did a "Save", "Exit", "Re-Start" and then "Re-Load" get the radar rotating again? Or did it start rotating again without have to do that? I have seen when going to the NavMap for reference, then going to PPI Radar, that the "Focused" beam is on, and not the "Continuous", so I turn on the continuous sweep, go back to the NavMap, and make my marks of the radar reports. I might then go to other views, like the Bridge or the Torpedo station, or Attack Map or whatever, and change some settings. Then come back to the radar ppi screen, and the radar is on "Focused" again. I have to put it back on "Continuous" again to get it to sweep. Do you see similar? Does this maybe coincide with the view of the dish itself not rotating? What is bringing you out of high TC when you find the radar is not rotating? A radar contact? Just you lowering the TC?... Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specbass View Post
I did! The LAA did the trick! Mod looks absolute awesome!
Excellent. Glad you're going!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-19, 01:19 AM   #81
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Regarding SD Radar contacts

Referring to "Using Radar_Sonar" under the Support Section of the Mod, I read on page 8:
"Unlike the stock game, the Ultimate SD radar will not show a detected surface contact on the Navigation Map. If one does appear, it’s due to either the crews "Visual" detection, or the SJ Radar use. The Hydrophone/Sonar will also show a detected contact on the map....but not the SD. As before, the SD will continue to show a plane on the map."

Why are surface contacts not shown on the navigation map? How is one notified of the SD surface contact? Are you expected to see it only on the PPI screen? Is one expected to manually plot SD surface contacts as they move about on the Nav map? As stated, stock game does this for you.

Also, which key-stroke brings up the PPI screen? All I seem to get is the A-scope with some kind of direction finder gizmo above it. I don't seem to be able to get a direct view of the PPI scope.
Old 11-18-19, 03:30 AM   #82
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Quote:
Let me ask some questions about this then... When losing the rotation, do you know that the radar had in fact been rotating previously? Do you recall how high your TC was at the time you found it would not then rotate? Did a "Save", "Exit", "Re-Start" and then "Re-Load" get the radar rotating again? Or did it start rotating again without have to do that? I have seen when going to the NavMap for reference, then going to PPI Radar, that the "Focused" beam is on, and not the "Continuous", so I turn on the continuous sweep, go back to the NavMap, and make my marks of the radar reports. I might then go to other views, like the Bridge or the Torpedo station, or Attack Map or whatever, and change some settings. Then come back to the radar ppi screen, and the radar is on "Focused" again. I have to put it back on "Continuous" again to get it to sweep. Do you see similar? Does this maybe coincide with the view of the dish itself not rotating? What is bringing you out of high TC when you find the radar is not rotating? A radar contact? Just you lowering the TC?... Thanks

Excellent. Glad you're going!
The radar antenna was rotating at first launch on TC1, but after some TC X1024 it was stuck.
Exiting/re-loading solved it, but as soon as TC more than X1, it was stuck again...on deck view and external view. Set on continuous sweep.
But that’s old story as it never did it again after upgrading latest version.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-19, 08:00 AM   #83
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
Referring to "Using Radar_Sonar" under the Support Section of the Mod, I read on page 8:
"Unlike the stock game, the Ultimate SD radar will not show a detected surface contact on the Navigation Map. If one does appear, it’s due to either the crews "Visual" detection, or the SJ Radar use. The Hydrophone/Sonar will also show a detected contact on the map....but not the SD. As before, the SD will continue to show a plane on the map."

Why are surface contacts not shown on the navigation map? How is one notified of the SD surface contact? Are you expected to see it only on the PPI screen? Is one expected to manually plot SD surface contacts as they move about on the Nav map? As stated, stock game does this for you.

Also, which key-stroke brings up the PPI screen? All I seem to get is the A-scope with some kind of direction finder gizmo above it. I don't seem to be able to get a direct view of the PPI scope.
Early SD radar was only able to conduct an air search. It was not capable of "seeing" things on the surface. It also could not give a bearing to a detection, only the range, of which we have not figured out a way to emulate that, and not ruin other functions. The SJ radar was capable of surface search. The FotRSU radar set-up attempts to simulate a "sweep" and "decay" effect of the radar, as seen on the PPI screen, so if you are on the NavMap, you will "see" the dot or box of a "reflection" as the "sweep" passes over a contact, and then that "detection" will fade as the sweep continues. FotRSU also attempts to emulate the fact that the radar beam followed the "level" of the sub as it went through and over wave crests. In other words, sometimes the beam would be going high and over a "target" as the submarine platform (and attached antenna mounting) was put off-level from a wave, so you might not see a target each sweep of the radar antenna.

As to the screens available, using the bottom menu tabs, the radar button of course takes you to the A-Scope:

Once on that screen, you see the menu tabs associated with that view now highlighted:

If you go over to the non-highlighted left button there, that can take you to the PPI screen:

If the PPI is not available, it will not be illuminated when you get to the station, and the "Power" button will not function. Another way to do it, is to use the "J" key ( <J> ) from any station on the boat, and that usually will take you to the PPI station. A 2nd press of the "J" will take you to the A Scope, and a 3rd push will take you back to the original station, unless of course, you were already at the radar station. Be sure and consult the "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" images in the 'root' SH4 install folder for other key presses available.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
The radar antenna was rotating at first launch on TC1, but after some TC X1024 it was stuck.
Exiting/re-loading solved it, but as soon as TC more than X1, it was stuck again...on deck view and external view. Set on continuous sweep.
But that’s old story as it never did it again after upgrading latest version.
Did you happen to notice Fifi, if that was associated with changing your station view, such as I found with turning the radar to a "Sweep" setting, and then being able to see the sweeps on the NavMap and make my marks, but as soon as I changed to a different station, such as going to the Bridge, and then back to the radar station, that the Sweep had stopped? It was set to the Focused setting, and the antenna was no longer rotating. But, putting it back to Sweep, the antenna would then rotate, if I went "outside" again, before going to another station... ??

Old 11-18-19, 11:52 AM   #84
Spotter
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Default No Mods on STEAM for Silent Hunter?

It's kind of irksome, that this venerable, and very replayable sim series has no mods on STEAM.

Thank you very much SubSim, for keeping it alive.
Old 11-18-19, 02:03 PM   #85
J0313
Grey Wolf

Default Radar rotation.

I will have to pay some more attention to that so I will get back to you.
Old 11-18-19, 02:48 PM   #86
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68
Default Missing merchants at Engebi Island

Downloaded and activated the new release on a pristine SH4,( also deleted all save files etc.)
first patrol from Pearl, Dec 9 1941, Tambor class.
orders to Eniwetok Atoll to patrol for 5 days, and take recon photos by Engebi Island, then go patrol Guam and Marianas.
Approaching Engebi, I get sonar reports of three merchants. Only 1 is ever visible on Periscope or external view.

I was not able to take pics on the one I could see and approach. There was nothing else there to 'lock' on to complete that part of the mission.

Any thoughts?

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-19, 04:41 PM   #87
propbeanie

I'll run that one again, to make sure the "fix" applied between v0.93 and v1.0 is correct mikesn9, but look at the orders again. The "Photo" stuff is secondary. The orders tell you "... but look over the whole atoll. Recon the area for five days...", so it is basically a "Patrol" mission. Also, the photo missions are much more difficult now, hence them being disabled for the most part (there are a few with them still), or moved to a secondary roll as in this Objective set. It will be the same thing at the other two locations you encounter in the mission. Generally speaking, you will have to get within 1200-1600 yards of a PhotoTarget before it activates the objective, and allows you to "Lock" the target, ID the target, and the photo the target... There is an 'SS09 FotoReconSpecOpTraining.pdf' file in the Support folder you could also use, or even take the Sub School mission for the same, and see how close you have to be now. This is the main reason we have not released our Photo Recon missions for the beachhead pix objectives...

Old 11-18-19, 07:07 PM   #88
Immelmann
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 106

Quote:
as soon as I changed to a different station, such as going to the Bridge, and then back to the radar station, that the Sweep had stopped?
In my experience with SH4, this has always been what I have observed. Set it to sweep, go away, come back, it's not sweeping. Stock or modded makes no difference for me. That is how it acts.

Acer Predator G6-720
Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700K (4.20 GHz)
16 GB DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X
256 GB NVMe SSD 2 TB SATA III SSD 2 TB SATA III HDD
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Pure Edition
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, FOTRS Ultimate v0.90_RC3, LAA
Immelmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-19, 08:36 PM   #89
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotter View Post
It's kind of irksome, that this venerable, and very replayable sim series has no mods on STEAM.

Thank you very much SubSim, for keeping it alive.
When you can find all the mods you need here at SUBSIM.COM why bother with steam?

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-19, 07:09 AM   #90
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
I'll run that one again, to make sure the "fix" applied between v0.93 and v1.0 is correct mikesn9, but look at the orders again. The "Photo" stuff is secondary. The orders tell you "... but look over the whole atoll. Recon the area for five days...", so it is basically a "Patrol" mission. Also, the photo missions are much more difficult now, hence them being disabled for the most part (there are a few with them still), or moved to a secondary roll as in this Objective set. It will be the same thing at the other two locations you encounter in the mission. Generally speaking, you will have to get within 1200-1600 yards of a PhotoTarget before it activates the objective, and allows you to "Lock" the target, ID the target, and the photo the target... There is an 'SS09 FotoReconSpecOpTraining.pdf' file in the Support folder you could also use, or even take the Sub School mission for the same, and see how close you have to be now. This is the main reason we have not released our Photo Recon missions for the beachhead pix objectives...
Thanks, Prop.
what about the sonar reports with no ships there?

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote