SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-12, 05:48 PM   #1
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Makes me think,
for those of us who are still facebook friends with former SH team member Dan Dimitrescu, you will notice he NEVER posts about his escapades in SH3/4/5, even though he poured his heart and soul into those projects at the time, I cant blame the guy, as I've had a taste of it for myself, I used to love installing mods for SH3 and discovering all the shiny new toys, then I worked on GWX 2.0, but did i want to play it afterwards? not really....
Then theres the IOS racer i worked on for over a year, do I even play that? No! it just brings back too many agonizing memories!
I reckon it must be the same with actors that dont like to watch their own shows or Musicians that dont like to listen to their own albums, painters that dont like to look at their own exhibits etc.

Playing games is for fun, but making them is bloody hard work, motivation is one thing you need, but mental endurance is another!
Ive worked in I.T support, behind a Bar, on a shop floor, all of them had their testing moments where I just wanted to walk out, but nothing came as close to breaking my will, as games development.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 09:15 AM   #2
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU_88 View Post
Then theres the IOS racer i worked on for over a year, do I even play that? No! it just brings back too many agonizing memories!
Which IOS game was that?

I worked on Golf Battle 3D and Turbo Grannies. Both done in about 8 months (actually 7 months for GB3D - we did TG in 5 weeks). I never want to crunch that hard again (actually I did when I joined EA DICE but at least there I got paid for doing so).
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-12, 07:36 AM   #3
artao
Officer

Downloads: 144
LOLOLOMAO

I'm not even gonna TRY to read this whole thread, but I can't resist commenting on the OP.

If everything was "over" or "dead" that people have declared "over" or "dead" over the years, there wouldn't be much left in the world.
... books are "over", desktops are "over, vhs tapes are "over, NTSC TV is "over" ... I guess I myself then am "over"

artao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-12, 02:55 AM   #4
thebeasle
Watch

Downloads: 73
Uploads: 1

Okay I guess everybody's heard about kickstarter.com by now.

I would love to see someone make a X-Plane type sim for subs. However, I'm not a programmer and at my age and occupation, I don't intend to learn how to program. So I can't / won't do it and can't really complain about other who can't / won't do it.

However, I'd like to see a group of programmers do it. I think there's a commercial market for it if it's good. I paid $80 for X-Plane 10. Millions of other people did too. And I thoroughly enjoy that sim.

So for now, I will just be grateful for the modders who took SH5 from a broken game to the best in series IMHO. I would also encourage programmers to take a commercial risk, design a hardcore subsim from scratch, and reap the financial rewards if the game succeeds. I think there's a large commercial market for a high quality hardcore sub sim.
Old 07-15-12, 05:45 PM   #5
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Julhelm,
What you and many don't know?
There was a 'sort of' attempt to include some Modders on the SH5 project.
Had the details been worked out to those Modders satisfaction?
(NO! It did not concern money!)
I'm sure it would have been a different Game from what was released.

This is all second (maybe 3rd or 4th) hand knowledge mind you.

Is far as I know? An offer was made.
It was turned down.

So Modders will work with Devs and even do it for free IF it's a fair deal.
It don't need money being exchanged.
It demands trust!
Trust, or the lack of it, destroyed what SH5 could have been.

I see the On-Line version very open to the same problem.
They will not trust or contact the Modders.
So they will fail in the same way.
Old 07-16-12, 02:29 AM   #6
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Is far as I know? An offer was made.
It was turned down.

So Modders will work with Devs and even do it for free IF it's a fair deal.
It don't need money being exchanged.
It demands trust!
Trust, or the lack of it, destroyed what SH5 could have been.

I see the On-Line version very open to the same problem.
They will not trust or contact the Modders.
So they will fail in the same way.
It got turned down, and always will. Even a one-man indie dev like Third Wire turns this down everytime it is suggested, and for good reason. The people who post on forums and who mod their games are in the minority. The big majority (maybe as much as 80-90%) of paying customers never go online to post on forums. So from a business perspective it would be crazy to cater exclusively to such a small niche within a niche.

As for SH5, had it had another 6 months dev time to finish features and no UBI DRM on launch it would probably have been an outstanding game. Since the online game by definition will continue to be developed over its lifetime I don't really see how it'll die like SH5.

Finally I would like to point out to you that the most commercially successful online games of the last 5 years have all been absolutely closed to modders.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-12, 11:46 PM   #7
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
It got turned down, and always will. Even a one-man indie dev like Third Wire turns this down everytime it is suggested, and for good reason. The people who post on forums and who mod their games are in the minority. The big majority (maybe as much as 80-90%) of paying customers never go online to post on forums. So from a business perspective it would be crazy to cater exclusively to such a small niche within a niche.
It isn't a question of catering to a small niche, it is a matter of listening to the most dedicated and knowlagable players. You presume that the customer base is devided into a small group of forum posting users who want one thing, and a much larger group of casual players who want something entirely different. I think input from this forum would result in a better game for everyone, if only Ubi would listen.

Quote:
As for SH5, had it had another 6 months dev time to finish features and no UBI DRM on launch it would probably have been an outstanding game. Since the online game by definition will continue to be developed over its lifetime I don't really see how it'll die like SH5.
But it never got that 6 months dev time or much else really. Ubi may say SHO will be developed over it's "lifetime", but how long will that be? Most likely, Ubi will pull the plug as soon as they see it doesn't fit in with their 'get rich quick' business model.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-12, 05:08 PM   #8
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
It got turned down, and always will. Even a one-man indie dev like Third Wire turns this down everytime it is suggested, and for good reason.
What you fail to understand is that the offer CAME from Ubi!
Not the other way around.