SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-26-24, 09:49 AM   #1
Artigliere
Cadet

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Default Electric Motors Crew, On-Board Cook and... War correspondent.

Hello everyone.

I thought it would be nice to have a differentiation between the engine crew in charge of diesel engines and those in charge of electric (electromechanical) motors. I suppose that in reality they were different professional figures who did a different job from each other and that for a greater realism of the game they should perhaps be differentiated.

It would also be very nice to have the cook on board to whom you can entrust the management of the food rations...

But my dream would be to be able to put in the crew a... war correspondent! It would be great to have a photographer on board (perhaps assigned in a "random" way) who would allow you to have, in addition to the medals, the front page of the magazine "Signal".

The personnel in charge of the electric motors might have a toothed wheel with lightning as a badge, the cook... crossed knife and fork, and the war correspondent two crossed pens or a stylized camera.

What do you think about this? Do you think it would be possible without weighing down the game too much?

Greetings to all the commanders.
Artigliere is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-24, 07:49 AM   #2
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

This is right, there were dedicated e-motor men, and they were always in the e-motor room when on watch, typically one mate and one Maschinengefreiter, each at a switchboard. This is among other things so that, on the dive order, the motors could be started immediately. The game assumes motor starting underwater which is nonsense. The diesels were unclutched from the shafts immediately and shut off and all exhaust vents closed, and the motors were started at high speed. So dedicated e-motor men were a requirement.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-24, 08:36 AM   #3
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439

Would be interesting to model, but not sure if the crew is hard coded to the engine room and moves to the e-room in unison when submerging, making it difficult to separate.

FUBAR295 is online   Reply With Quote