SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-22-22, 04:04 PM   #1
Halcyon
Helmsman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 3
Default Adding engine noise to the map/nav screen?

If you minimize the 3D window, the map/nav screen is completely silent. I'm looking to add the default engine hum noise, but I can't find which file governs that behavior.

I found something close, in the controllers.ini file, which has stuff like this:

Code:
[Interface] "FFG" 12
[BitmapName] "FFG_US.jpg"
[DLL] "Bridge.DLL" "X000Y000.bmp" 569 408
;/// soundEngineHum sndtype (none = 0, full=1, full no os =2, muted=3, muted no ownship=4)	truthmode
[DLLSOUND] 1 0 0
[DLL] "AcousticDisp.DLL" "X035Y000.bmp" 570 409
[DLL] "ASTAC.DLL" "X000Y035.bmp" 571 410 
[DLL] "Active.DLL" "x035y035.bmp" 572 411
[Nav] "X000Y175.bmp" 416
[DLL] "TowedArray.DLL" "x035y070.bmp" 573 413
[DLL] "EW.DLL" "X000Y070.bmp" 574 412
[DLL] "Radar.DLL" "X035Y105.bmp"  575 415
[DLL] "TMA.DLL" "X000Y105.bmp" 576 414 
[DLL] "WeaponsControl.DLL" "x035y140.bmp" 577 417
[DLL] "FloatingCamera.dll" "NOLINK"
[DLLPOPUP] 1 0 0 285 230
[DLL] "TorpedoControl.DLL" "x000y140.bmp" 578 418
[DLL] "MachineGun.DLL" "x035y175.bmp" 579 419
;/// soundEngineHum sndtype (none = 0, full=1, full no os =2, muted=3, muted no ownship=4)	truthmode
[DLLSOUND] 1 2 1
[TEXTDLL] "Text" 
[RECO] "VoiceReco.DLL"
[Color] "255,140,0"
[Color] "25,30,50"
[Color] "40,50,75"
[Color] "0,255,0"
[Color] "145,75,0"
[Color] "115,105,105"
[Color] "255,140,0"
[Color] "255,140,0"
[Color] "0,255,0"
[Color] "80,80,80"
[Color] "255,255,220"
[Color] "0,0,0"
[Units] "0"
[MenuImage] "FFG7_menu.bmp"
[MenuPos] "-9.3,0.3,-99.0"
[END]
The issue is I'm not even sure this is what is telling which station plays which sound file (for example, the Perry Frigate Bridge playing the engine hum vs the Bridge wings or the external station where the machine gun is playing the "outside" engine noise).

If it is, I'm having trouble interpreting what the numbers in the [DLLSOUND] tag are referring to.

Anyone have any ideas about this?
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 08:33 PM   #2
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post

Anyone have any ideas about this?
Yes, but I can only give you some general ideas about making changes to what you have.

A). "Keep it simple as long as you can". If you are making changes to files that involve text, make sure you use Notepad or a text format that does not use special characters or effects. Likewise, start small and work your way up. Did your change actually do anything? Related to this..

B). "Don't paint yourself into a corner you can't get out of". Work on ONE change at a time and be ready to do a LOT of testing. There's nothing worse than finding CTDs after you're 3/4ths of the way into a large project.
Back up EVERYTHING you're working on. If you could look into my DW folders, you would see files like sfx.agg next to another file named sfxO.agg or sfxG.agg. That sfxO file can't be read by DW due to its name, but I know that its a back-up, a "known good" original file. The sfxG.agg means its a file I have worked on that works but I want to do more with it.
DW's folder and file format can be confusing which is why you want to work on one small change at a time. Its also a good idea to write stuff down.
Find a notebook or a blank sheet of paper and document what you're working on and why. If you get side-tracked and have to come back to your project 1-4 months later, good luck finding that file in that folder again.

C). "Be the sniper rifle, not the shot gun". I see this a LOT in other games and sims. "I just added 25 zip files and downloads and now my sky has turned purple. How do I fix it?" I don't know, you got me on that one..
Resist that urge to crank out a five day project in 15 minutes.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 09:06 PM   #3
Halcyon
Helmsman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
Yes, but I can only give you some general ideas about making changes to what you have.

A). "Keep it simple as long as you can". If you are making changes to files that involve text, make sure you use Notepad or a text format that does not use special characters or effects. Likewise, start small and work your way up. Did your change actually do anything? Related to this..

B). "Don't paint yourself into a corner you can't get out of". Work on ONE change at a time and be ready to do a LOT of testing. There's nothing worse than finding CTDs after you're 3/4ths of the way into a large project.
Back up EVERYTHING you're working on. If you could look into my DW folders, you would see files like sfx.agg next to another file named sfxO.agg or sfxG.agg. That sfxO file can't be read by DW due to its name, but I know that its a back-up, a "known good" original file. The sfxG.agg means its a file I have worked on that works but I want to do more with it.
DW's folder and file format can be confusing which is why you want to work on one small change at a time. Its also a good idea to write stuff down.
Find a notebook or a blank sheet of paper and document what you're working on and why. If you get side-tracked and have to come back to your project 1-4 months later, good luck finding that file in that folder again.

C). "Be the sniper rifle, not the shot gun". I see this a LOT in other games and sims. "I just added 25 zip files and downloads and now my sky has turned purple. How do I fix it?" I don't know, you got me on that one..
Resist that urge to crank out a five day project in 15 minutes.
Thanks for the tips, but I was looking more for ideas on the specific issue I ran into, as in does anyone know which file governs what engine sound you hear depending on which station you're in for any specific platform.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 10:21 PM   #4
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
I was looking more for ideas on the specific issue I ran into.
Back up your files, try it, see what happens.

Its not like the rest of us are enlightened or work for Sonalysts.

ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-22, 05:10 AM   #5
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 32

Yeah, sorry, I can't help, mate. But it's a great idea if you can pull it off!

Stew