SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-19-23, 08:56 AM   #5371
Wolfcat
Chief

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

I found out it's the "Fleetboat Interior" mod that's causing it. However, the FOTRSU credit screen is always v1.7. I guess it's never been updated.
Wolfcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-23, 09:49 AM   #5372
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post
@propbeanie So what can I do to fix this problem? Or it doesn't really matter. Btw, I have the following Additional mods activated.
next time you want to post your Mods list:
open JSGME
Click Tasks, then Export, To Clipboard.
Switch screens to your post, and either right-click-Paste or press Ctrl+v to paste.

much easier than the screen shot.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-23, 10:46 AM   #5373
Wolfcat
Chief

Gotcha. Good to know. Here is my list.

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8
101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU
Nihon Kaigun v1.3a_FotRSU
Combined Roster
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN
FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch
305_LessJapaneseAirRadar
650_MoreDudz
803_NoPlayerSubFlags
Old 04-19-23, 11:31 AM   #5374
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:
Gotcha. Good to know. Here is my list.

101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU
Combined Roster
305_LessJapaneseAirRadar
650_MoreDudz
803_NoPlayerSubFlags
This is my list with FOTRSU 1.8. All working very fine.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[E:\SH4\MODS]

101_FotRSUv18_FixPak
Nippon_Maru_v1.9b_FotRSU
Combined Roster
399_NoScrollNavMap
451_TMOstyle_NavMapDots
451a_TMOstyle_NavMapDots_Nippon_Maru
451b_TMOstyle_NavMapDots_Nihon_Kaigun
450_MoonlightzSonarLines
304_NoJapaneseAirRadar
801_UMark Invisible
803_NoPlayerSubFlags
901_Strategic_Map_Symbols
RUBINI_CLOUDS_SH4
SMALLER SEABED ROCKS
SMALLER SEA PLANTS SMALL
sobers better sand II
sobers better rock Ver 2 mod
FOTRSU_1.8_SUB_SKINS_IN_4k
856_Col_FotRSU_Museum
EAX_SoundSim_FOTRSU_1.8
speech_overhaul
New Sounds for Fleetboat_Interior-Officer Quarters mod
Realistic Floor Tiles for Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarter
TDW_Ship_Plane_Fire_Damage_v1_3_SH4
650_OriginalFOTRS_Dudz
Jimimadrid Metalic Dials
Jimimadrid Sailors for FotRSU
851_Red_FotRSU_Logo
DarkerNightsEnv_V2
BATTLEFLAG_CONNING_SILVERSIDES_SS-236
BATTLEFLAG_WARDROOM_SILVERSIDES_SS-236
Lite Fog v2 + 200' Underwater Visability
Vanilla Impurities
Jimimadrid SubManagement
Jimimadrid Optics
jimimadrid Shells
Jimimadrid Tools
Jimimadrid TDC
jimimadrid HUD
Select Your Sub

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-23, 02:17 PM   #5375
Wolfcat
Chief

@fitzcarraldo, so you launch splash screen shows v1.8 rather than v1.7?
Old 04-19-23, 09:44 PM   #5376
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The splash screen saying v1.7 does not affect the game play. If you activate the Interiors mod, that splash screen is for the previous version, but the "FI-OQ_FotRSU_v1.8f_upcPatch" makes it compatible with FotRSU v1.8

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-23, 07:15 AM   #5377
Wolfcat
Chief

@propbeanie Gotcha. Yeah, I have played it. So far so good. No crashes. No major issues.
Old 04-20-23, 01:36 PM   #5378
shake307
Watch

Downloads: 32

Anyone take a stab as to why I CTD on mission start? I have only downloaded the v1.8 mod and its patch. JGMSE is in the SH4 folder. I can get into the game, but on mission start, I have a black screen, then CTD. Using the Steam Version. I think it may have something to do with SH4 being installed in the steamapps folder, but I can't get it to run anywhere else. I copy and paste SH4 to C: and I get some Application Error as soon as I double click the sh4 app. I have also deleted my save game folder.
shake307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-23, 02:42 PM   #5379
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

shake307!...after a 6 year 'silent run'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-23, 04:20 PM   #5380
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shake307 View Post
Anyone take a stab as to why I CTD on mission start? I have only downloaded the v1.8 mod and its patch. JGMSE is in the SH4 folder. I can get into the game, but on mission start, I have a black screen, then CTD. Using the Steam Version. I think it may have something to do with SH4 being installed in the steamapps folder, but I can't get it to run anywhere else. I copy and paste SH4 to C: and I get some Application Error as soon as I double click the sh4 app. I have also deleted my save game folder.
Where do you have the game installed? You cannot be in a Windows "protected" folder, such as Program Files, even when under the Steam directory. The Library folder has to be outside of any folder that Windows interferes with. Also, which version of the Steam game are you trying to start? There is the "plain" Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific, and then there is "U-Boat Missions Add-On", which is the v1.5 of the game, and is necessary to get FotRSU to run... although, it does look like Steam has changed their SH4 pages - AGAIN!!! Kind of more difficult to tell what they're doing there... sigh

Silent Hunter®: Wolves of the Pacific
Silent Hunter®: Wolves of the Pacific U-Boat Missions

Time was, the "Wolves of the Pacific from Steam was version 1.3 of the game, but they are showing a German Type IX-D2 U-Boat in their "splash" ad on that page...

Look to see which version you are starting. When you start SH4, and get to the main menu, do you have a choice for "U-Boat Campaign"? Although, seems to me that you would get a "Black_80" error message instead, if you were starting the wrong one...

Two other things to check. Number one would be the Properties settings of the SH4.exe file. Navigate into your game folder in Windows FileManager, and find SH4.exe. Right-click on it, and from the Context Menu that comes up, choose "Properties" at the bottom of the list. That opens the "Properties" dialog. On that first "General" tab, toward the bottom, make certain that the tick-box for "Read-only" is cleared. That will allow the file to be altered. Then click on the "Compatibility" tab and do some adjusting there.

You are almost guaranteed to need to tick that "Disable fullscreen optimizations". You most likely have to click on the "Change high DPI settings" button, which is what makes that upper window in that picture. You'll want to set the "High DPI Scaling Override" section near the bottom like in the picture. Unless you have an odd laptop like mine, leave that top "Program DPI" section alone and the tick-box empty. Quite a few folks have to use that "Compatibility Mode" section, and some have to use the "Run this program as an administrator". You will need to experiment there, since no two computers are alike.

Number two, you do have to set either LAA or the 4Gig Patch properly on the SH4.exe file (hence the clearing of the "Read-only" part above). Both are in the FotRSU mod download, with LAA being in the game folder after activation, and the 4Gig Patch being in the "Extras" folder, if you want to use it instead. The 4Gig Patch does give you a better indication that it failed, though you do not get any beeps are flashing read text. LAA will seem that it took, but if you open it again, and bring the SH4.exe file in again, the tick-box for the "Large Address Aware Flag" will be empty still. Make certain you have one or the other of those enabled, and that should allow the app more of your RAM to run it. It doesn't matter if you have 64 Gig of RAM on your computer, Windows will still only give each "legacy" app about 640k of RAM. Using LAA or similar will get you up to about 1.5Gig of RAM, which is enough for SH4 with FotRSU enabled, to run in.

Last edited by propbeanie; 04-20-23 at 04:35 PM. Reason: typo city...
Old 04-20-23, 06:27 PM   #5381
Wolfcat
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by shake307 View Post
If I have to take a guess, you probably forgot to apply LAA. This beast was designed 10+ years ago and back then very few machines had 2gb+ memory.
Old 04-20-23, 06:32 PM   #5382
Wolfcat
Chief

I am not so sure if this is vanilla game bug or FOTRSU bug:

1. Ambient noise such as sea wave, wind is so loud. Even if I go submerged and inside my sub, it's still there. Once I had heavy and bad weather, the noise wouldn't go away any more. And it drowns out all other noise such as crew reverberating my command.

2. Deck watch won't go inside boat once the sub is submerged. They would still stick around on deck underwater

3. Sometimes at high time compression (4k-3kish), you sub would suddenly stop for no reason. Speed just suddenly falls down to 0.
Old 04-21-23, 10:41 AM   #5383
propbeanie

Quote:
I am not so sure if this is vanilla game bug or FOTRSU bug:

1. Ambient noise such as sea wave, wind is so loud. Even if I go submerged and inside my sub, it's still there. Once I had heavy and bad weather, the noise wouldn't go away any more. And it drowns out all other noise such as crew reverberating my command.

2. Deck watch won't go inside boat once the sub is submerged. They would still stick around on deck underwater

3. Sometimes at high time compression (4k-3kish), you sub would suddenly stop for no reason. Speed just suddenly falls down to 0.
Those are all symptoms of having shelled-out to Windows. As you stated above for shake307, this is an ~old~ DirectX v9.0c game. If you did much game-playing in Windows XP, you did NOT leave the game, else things went wonky. While Windows got better at that with Vista and Win7 (quite by accident), Windows 8, 10 & 11 have not bothered to attempt any improvements - on purpose. They do not want you playing old games. They want you buying new, at least every three years... Sorry, let me kick the MS-dissing soapbox away...

Anyway, whether you shell out on purpose to go use the calculator or do email, or maybe Windows does it for you with a "Notification" from the systray, it does trash the game, which expects everything to be where it put it, at actual off-set addresses. This happens whether you play stock, or a modded version. With 'modern' Windows, everything is flat memory and "virtual machine", so Windows puts each session of SH4 in its own little sandbox area to play with, in a restricted memory space. When you shell-out, Windows might reassign the buffers the game uses and then you get some strange anomalies. Even if Windows doesn't trash the buffers for the game, the game itself does not like losing focus, and has issues when you give the game section the focus again.

Also, with Time Compression, it is recommended to not go over 2048, and it is better if you do not go over 1024 actually. The "busier" it is around your boat, the worse that can get. Anything over 256x has the potential to mess up the sound stream, Stock or modded again, of course. The more powerful your computer, the more you can abuse TC, but it is best to be "safe" about it, and stay at 2048x or below. Nothing of course, prevents you from experimenting and trying to find what your computer can do in that regard.

If you do end up with anomalies as you describe, or if you end up with a steam cloud over your boat that just follows you everywhere, then Save the game with a new, unique name. EXIT THE GAME. Do not attempt to re-load a Saved game unless you first Exit. Then re-start the game, load your Save, and continue. This Exiting of the game also applies if you "change modes", such as doing a SingleMission or the Museum, in that before you go to another "mode" in the game, Exit, and then re-start. Someone didn't do their C alloc properly in the game. in other words, it does not clean up well after itself... Your sound, video and other "streams" should be back to somewhat "normal", whatever that is in SH4, especially as it relates to Windows...

Old 04-21-23, 05:07 PM   #5384
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:
@fitzcarraldo, so you launch splash screen shows v1.8 rather than v1.7?
No. It is from 1.7. You can leave the splash from Fleetboat interiors or those included in Nihon Kaigun and/or Nippon Maru.

Regards

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-23, 11:12 PM   #5385
Wolfcat
Chief

@propbeanie thanks for the tips. Yeah, it seems by exiting game and relaunching, I can reset those issues. Also I have the following observations/suggestions:

1. I don't think it's historical accurate that S-class can use Mk14 torpedoes. The weapon was too long for their tubes.

2. I remember for some of the larger boats such as Tambor class, you can access deck, conic tower and command room. However, with the interior mod, the quick key command for conic tower is disabled. You can still access it but you just need manually move there. (is that correct?)

3. In Propoise class, there is radio overhead that you can use. But I could find similar radio in Tambor any more.

4. On mission 2 of my Asiatic Fleet campaign, I was instructed to go to an area and wait for orders. Once I get there, I was told simply to sink ships. I wondered around for a few days but couldn't find any ships. I traveled around a bit and finally found a Nikita Maru and sank it, but the mission still shows incomplete. What can I do to complete the mission?