SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities > Best of Subsim
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-09, 01:51 AM   #46
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Skwasjer !!! Definately.

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 11-26-09, 02:50 AM   #47
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Downloads: 59
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
My nomination for funniest post(s) of the year is Antikristuseke.
Sweet. Link us up to some material, though!
Old 11-26-09, 03:09 AM   #48
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Okay, tell me if I've missed something, but so far the nominations are:

Best Post OTY:
None

Best Poster OTY:
Sailor Steve
EAST
Hitman
Tomi99

Midshipman OTY:
DigitalAura
Sevrin

Best Thread OTY:
DaveyJ576's Real Submarine Technology & History Q&A

Mod OTY:
AoB Mod by Nicolas and ddgrn
TMO by Ducimus
WAC 4.1

Modder OTY:
Hitman
skwasjer
HansSolo
Karamazovnew

Most Helpful Member OTY:
DivingDuck
Carotio
Peabody
WEBSTER
Jimbuna

Moderator OTY:
WEBSTER
Hitman
NeonSamurai

Signature OTY and Commander OTY nominations coming soon...

Please, Please, PLEASE, if I've missed something, point it out! And please keep the nominations coming!
Old 11-26-09, 03:16 AM   #49
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default Is it fair to compare major mods to minor mod fixes.

Not to disparage the work of the major modders or the work of others (Mobo is an example from awhile ago that comes to mind), minor mods ought to be carefully considered. I state their case.

In July an innocuous post appeared authored by Nicolas, from Guatemala, announcing a fix to the ATD (Attack Tools Dial per CapnScury's High Realism Tutorial) that permits manual rotation of the AoB dial with the PK turned off. This adjustment has commensurate effect on the movement of the Target Ship on the TBT dial. This fix permits the upper dial on the TBT to be adjusted to match the Target's course relative to the Submarine's. It aids captains in verifying if their attack set up is correct.

Immediately thereafter, ddgrn, from Canada, with Nicolas' permission, joined the thread and modified the fix to include range/aspect ratio and speed, and incorporated all of the above into a mod known as the Easy Aob. The upshot was a mod that enabled accurate torpedo shots at comparatively long range and variety of angles.

Word of the thread spread quickly, and it had thousands of hits in the first few months when it became clear that a major breakthrough had occurred in manual targeting as a result of their combined work. The mod can be incorporated to the stock game, RFB, FOTRS, and TMO via JSGME.

A few months later, gutted, from New York (I believe), introduced a stand alone program entitled the Solution Solver. This program incorporates CapnScury's Calculator, as defined in his High Realism Tutorial, into a workable Calculator as described therein. It sits on the desktop, and is accessible when the game is paused. Gutted explains its operation in a three part video tutorial in a real time attack scenario which is part of the program download. It is simple to use the program in a game setting, as once the program is opened, a captain can pause the game and toggle between the game and the program in seconds. Modifications to the course of either the target ship or the submarine is simple. One of the benefits of the program is that you can use a pop up tool and see the effect of a course change on your desk top and gain an understanding of how the change affects Aob while the target moves along its course.

Both of these mods represent a major advancement/technological breakthrough in manual targeting. They are state of the art. Their creators had to have a complete and thorough understanding of concepts underlying manual targeting and the TDC to tackle their respective projects. They are our rocket scientists in a manner of speaking.

Some modders work on eye candy, some work on special effects, etc. The Easy Aob mod and Solution Solver are aimed at sinking ships, which for many Subsimmers is a key purpose in playing the game, and in real life is obviously the purpose of the Submarine force during war time.

Don't get me wrong, the major mods, especially the recent works of ducimus and skwasjer (spell?), the later which is beyond my capabilities, are incredible pieces of work. But some of the smaller mods have a great impact on the game, and if one from that group does not take home the prize, the Committee should consider according them recognition of some sort, such as an Honorable mention, a six pack, and a promotion.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 11-26-09 at 11:00 PM. Reason: correct typos again!!!
Old 11-26-09, 03:48 AM   #50
Rothwell white
Gunner

Downloads: 75

Quote:
My nomination for funniest post(s) of the year is Antikristuseke.
Any links for this
Old 11-26-09, 11:15 AM   #51
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

No, go thru his posting history. There's quite a few to list, that's why I didnt provide links.
Old 11-26-09, 01:00 PM   #52
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Aramike

see post no. 49. I nominated gutted for his fantastic "Solution Solver" program as well as Nicolas and ddrgn. Those guys are ship killers, pure and simple.
Old 11-27-09, 02:11 PM   #53
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Supplement to my mod of the year nominations

As the committee has no doubt taken note, I have nominated three mods/programs. Easy Aob, Solution Solver, and TMO 1.9.

I made my case for Easy Aob and Solution Solver in a previous post.

Here is a case for TMO 1.9, although I confess that others are probably more qualified to present it. They are welcome to do so.

I am a player and not a modder, so it is from this perspective I comment. This mod brings together many other advanced mods. Ducimus, and I understand Lurker, were the driving forces. It updates many facets of the game and has what I describe as many "cool" additions/functions such as the deep dive and crash dive functions. For example, submarine layouts are different and allegedly more historically accurate, and submarine speeds are adjusted for various boats, also for historical accuracy. In a crash dive scenario the boat angles downward steeply during the course off the dive. The crew is changed and specialized crew are available in certain cases. The upshot of these, and the many other changes, is it finally feels like someone got the game "right" from a historical and "game play" perspective. The TMO thread shows that Ducimus is responsive to captain's requests that maintain the historical accuracy he apparently strived to achieve, and it is evident from the constantly updated list of game fixes announced in the 1.9 thread. Unlike single mod fixes, the upgrade to 1.9 can be compared to training Michaelangelo about WW2 submarine warfare and computer technology, and letting him loose to bring the game to life.

I would describe TMO 1.9 as nothing less than a Tour de Force. Ducimus' comment about not wanting any part of a popularity contest should be disregarded. There are worthy competitors for this award. Whoever wins will have earned it if the committee follows their guidelines.

I once saw a picture of a young Thomas Edison sitting next to a small table with his arm around the world's first phonograph. He looked as if he had not slept for a week. It reminds me of Ducimus, and the old saying that genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration. He has given us a newly constructed phonograph. We get to play it.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 11-28-09 at 05:05 AM. Reason: my proofreading is abysmal; additional language inserted
Old 11-28-09, 02:57 AM   #54
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padvotke View Post
Why do we need all of this ? Where the snake lies ? IMHO the reason of such celebrities has a hidden meaning. Like we all should be monolithic in our minds at subsim communitee Does this award show is pointing the way to perfectionalism or something ? Or describing how should a perfect member be like ? If this is a road sign to perfectionalism at subsim.com and let's say everybody starts struggling for a peace of empty honour over the internet and what then ? The winners of this show should be held better than the rest of us ? Well if you ask me I don't think the result of this awards is going to strengthen the unity of this communitee, has anyone though of reversed effects ? I like sharing my point of view and it's not trolling like someone might see it
In my opinion, saying "Good job, thanks for your contributions and continued support" and recognizing those people who go just a little bit further than the rest of us should not in any way diminish the community - it can only bring it together.

This isn't about "losing" ... it's about recognizing the people who've gone above and beyond in support of this great community. How anyone can take exception to that is beyond me...

Think of the military - awarding people with medals recognizing their achievements isn't an affront to the honorable individuals who don't recieve them. The purpose of this is to recognize the people who've worked just a little bit harder to make our games more enjoyable, spent a little bit longer answering our questions, welcoming our peers, and making us think/laugh.

Like I said, I don't see how ANYONE can see that as a bad thing.
Old 11-28-09, 03:16 AM   #55
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Quote:
So this is it.. in simple words you're building steps from low to high and now you wish we should decide who and on which step to place. I don't realy think it is right to do Dividing users or moders into good and better is not that thing any of us would wish to see. maybe of course sick self-lovers wishing the audience to applause them Normal people don't need this show, because they know their talent, they know their best spots and their weak spots. Without wishing somebody else to point them out. I guess it's all about being tactfull.
We'll have to agree to disagree. All I know is that many people enjoy being recognized for the work they've done and the things that they've accomplished, even though they may seek no such thing. If you don't agree with that, perhaps it would be best to simply stand aside rather than diminish that recognition merely because you don't believe that they should get it???
Old 11-28-09, 03:25 AM   #56
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Quote:
No, go thru his posting history. There's quite a few to list, that's why I didnt provide links.
Yeah, but we need ideas for THE funniest. Any links for that?
Old 11-28-09, 03:27 AM   #57
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
As the committee has no doubt taken note, I have nominated three mods/programs. Easy Aob, Solution Solver, and TMO 1.9.

I made my case for Easy Aob and Solution Solver in a previous post.

Here is a case for TMO 1.9, although I confess that others are probably more qualified to present it. They are welcome to do so.

I am a player and not a modder, so it is from this perspective I comment. This mod brings together many other advanced mods. Ducimus, and I understand Lurker, were the driving forces. It updates many facets of the game and has what I describe as many "cool" additions/functions such as the deep dive and crash dive functions. For example, submarine layouts are different and allegedly more historically accurate, and submarine speeds are adjusted for various boats, also for historical accuracy. In a crash dive scenario the boat angles downward steeply during the course off the dive. The crew is changed and specialized crew are available in certain cases. The upshot of these, and the many other changes, is it finally feels like someone got the game "right" from a historical and "game play" perspective. The TMO thread shows that Ducimus is responsive to captain's requests that maintain the historical accuracy he apparently strived tried to achieve, and it is evident from the constantly updated list of game fixes announced in the 1.9 thread. Unlike single mod fixes, the upgrade to 1.9 can be compared to training Michaelangelo about WW2 submarine warfare and computer technology, and letting him loose to bring the game to life.

I would describe TMO 1.9 as nothing less than a Tour de Force. Ducimus' comment about not wanting any part of a popularity contest should be disregarded. There are worthy competitors for this award. Whoever wins will have earned it if the committee follows their guidelines.

I once saw a picture of a young Thomas Edison sitting next to a small table with his arm around the world's first phonograph. He looked as if he had not slept for a week. It reminds me of Ducimus, and the old saying that genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration. He has given us a newly constructed phonograph. We get to play it.
Excellent food for thought. Mods are the hottest topic regarding these awards, so trust me - your perspective is duly noted and taken under advisement.
Old 11-28-09, 03:51 AM   #58
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Motion to strike on the grounds of relevancy your Honor

Quote:
Why do we need all of this ? Where the snake lies ? IMHO the reason of such celebrities has a hidden meaning. Like we all should be monolithic in our minds at subsim communitee Does this award show is pointing the way to perfectionalism or something ? Or describing how should a perfect member be like ? If this is a road sign to perfectionalism at subsim.com and let's say everybody starts struggling for a peace of empty honour over the internet and what then ? The winners of this show should be held better than the rest of us ? Well if you ask me I don't think the result of this awards is going to strengthen the unity of this communitee, has anyone though of reversed effects ? I like sharing my point of view and it's not trolling like someone might see it

"Why do we need all of this?" I can understand that sentence.

What are you trying to say in the next sentence about the snake? That sentence must be a metaphor but it has a meaning beyond my comprehension.

"Like we all should be monolithic in our minds at subsim communitee." Again, I do not understand the meaning. Monolithic is adjective. I think you have used it as a noun. If used is an adjective, you probably intended it describe the word "We." If so, then I think you are questioning whether declaring a candidate the "best" reflects a somewhat rigid, inflexible uniformity by the committee [i.e. 3 a : constituting a massive undifferentiated and often rigid whole <a monolithic society> b : exhibiting or characterized by often rigidly fixed uniformity <monolithic party unity.]

I think the answer to your analysis is not overly complicated. The lead participants at the web site want to honor one or more persons who contribute to a dynamic forum. Merely being nominated is an honor. For example, the funniest post OTY sends a message that not only is the author funny, but his humor contributes to the site in a intangible but very real way.

Another point I wish to make is that raising your objection in the very thread where nominations are made is inappropriate in my opinion. It should be done in a separate thread which you could have started for that purpose. Your post questions and detracts from the nominations, and is a direct challenge after the fact to the decision to have the process go forward in the first instance - a decision which has already been made. You have interfered with it, and you could have avoided that by raising objections and questions in a separate thread. I suggest that Padvotke's post and related posts be transferred to a separate thread for that purpose.
Old 11-28-09, 04:31 AM   #59
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

My candidate for funniest post of the year is Pacific Ace. Read this thread and see post no. 10. I bolded the language. To give you context, Captain MattJ had rubbed some members the wrong way with various ill thought posts (and that is putting it mildly!). At around the same timeframe, the famous Rockin Robbins posted his classic mission wherein he surfaced at night, fired blindly, and sunk an Essex class carrier -- in error. Here is the thread dealing with all of the above. I abbreviated the various posts by deleting pictures, smilies, etc. which have limitations re copying. Here you go. (post script: I think MattJ was lost on his next patrol and I have not seen nor heard from him since.)
09-17-2009, 09:54 PM #1 CaptainMattJ.
Gunner
Downloads: 22

My fellow Captains.....
My fellow Americans uhh i mean Captains, i have not been entirely good with you. I did post an annoying thread, and i am sorry. i have walked off the plank of annoyingness, but ready to get back on board the USS Subsim radio room forums. i had a little drink about an hour ago and it went straight to my head. I am a reformed captain, and i will act accordingly. Clear the bridge, Bog the hatches, set planes to dive, All men to battle stations, and hold on, this is about to get ugly..........
09-17-2009, 10:04 PM #2 ETR3(SS)
Good to hear.
09-17-2009, 10:27 PM #3 Rockin Robbins
Forward torpedoes armed and ready sir!
09-17-2009, 11:57 PM #4 I'm goin' down
darn.
I like him better before. Nothing good lasts.
p.s. You might want to talk to Rockn Robbins about attack techniques. Someone started a subsim rumor (those are the worst) awhile ago that he had some ideas on the subject. (I, of course, am a superlative captain and ignored his advice.)
09-18-2009, 12:28 AM #5 WEBSTER
i thank you and applaud you for wanting to start over
looking at not only what you say but also the way you are saying it, can prevent many missunderstandings. sarcastic humor to some could be percieved as rude and insulting to others.
i think members were put off by your frequent posts (85 posts in just 4 weeks is a lot) without giving you the benefit of the doubt that you might just be a new member who is very exited and enthusiastic about the game and i will assume that thats all it was.
new members will start off posting frequently sometimes and then they quickly slow down and only post when they really have something to say.
in your case i think members felt (right or wrong) that you werent showing any signs that you were slowing down so they labeled you as a troll for frequent posting without purpose.
posting an attack post directed at another member is NOT the way to deal with the situation and you should know that that never solves anything and will only make things worse and get "you" into trouble for doing it.
i will assume you are a younger member who is used to the way other game forums are and how people act there so with this in mind i will make this next comment.
many game forums have a large amount of younger members and abusive language and seeing people with attitudes and making rude comments towards others are usually the norm at those sites but here at subsim this is a completely different type of forum for adults to have adult conversations and discussions so rudeness is not normal here and is very much discuraged.
please keep in mind that most members here are mature adults so they ask for and expect a certain amount of respect in conversations and if there are any personal dissagreements they are usually talked out in private PM's and not on the public forum.
if we dont agree with someones comments then we discuss it and if it cant be resolved then in most cases we agree to dissagree and let it go so the modderators do not have to get involved in it.
09-18-2009, 12:39 AM #6 I'm goin' down
Investigation
Subsim naval intelligence paid me a visit inquiring if Mattj was a foreign agent trying to impede the War in the Pacific on behalf of the Axis. I told them I was under order to refer matters to headquarters, so they will probably interview Neal next.
09-18-2009, 04:57 AM #7 reallydedpoet
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTER

i thank you and applaud you for wanting to start over
looking at not only what you say but also the way you are saying it, can prevent many missunderstandings. sarcastic humor to some could be percieved as rude and insulting to others.
i think members were put off by your frequent posts (85 posts in just 4 weeks is a lot) without giving you the benefit of the doubt that you might just be a new member who is very exited and enthusiastic about the game and i will assume that thats all it was.
new members will start off posting frequently sometimes and then they quickly slow down and only post when they really have something to say.
in your case i think members felt (right or wrong) that you werent showing any signs that you were slowing down so they labeled you as a troll for frequent posting without purpose.
posting an attack post directed at another member is NOT the way to deal with the situation and you should know that that never solves anything and will only make things worse and get "you" into trouble for doing it.
i will assume you are a younger member who is used to the way other game forums are and how people act there so with this in mind i will make this next comment.
many game forums have a large amount of younger members and abusive language and seeing people with attitudes and making rude comments towards others are usually the norm at those sites but here at subsim this is a completely different type of forum for adults to have adult conversations and discussions so rudeness is not normal here and is very much discuraged.
please keep in mind that most members here are mature adults so they ask for and expect a certain amount of respect in conversations and if there are any personal dissagreements they are usually talked out in private PM's and not on the public forum.
if we dont agree with someones comments then we discuss it and if it cant be resolved then in most cases we agree to dissagree and let it go so the modderators do not have to get involved in it.

Nicely said
09-18-2009, 05:06 AM #8 SteamWake
Personally I'm gonna hold my breath
09-18-2009, 07:08 AM #9 RedMenace
Er, I know I'm going to come off as a massive troll right now, but uh, CaptainMattJ. never really came off to me as a troll. <_<
I mean, show me a single thread of his that wasn't, at the very least, made in good humour and/or spirits, because, while I've seen threads that may have come off as a tad immature, he's hardly a "troll."
09-18-2009, 04:14 PM #10 Pacific_Ace
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down
p.s. You might want to talk to Rockn Robbins about attack techniques. Someone started a subsim rumor (those are the worst) awhile ago that he had some ideas on the subject.

RR has developed a new radar based attack for those dark and stormy nights. I've heard its particularly effective against Essex class carriers.
09-18-2009, 04:43 PM #11 I'm goin' down
Pacific Ace
Nimitz is still laughing his ass off, in one of the greatest broadside posts in Subsim History. Perfect Timing. Hope wants you to join the USO. Give the man tickets to the museum.(somebody help me. I have fallen down and cannot get up!)

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 11-28-09 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11-28-09, 06:26 PM   #60
geetrue
Cold War Boomer

Downloads: 5

I think the funnest post was, "I remember when this was just all fields around here"

on the earlist member thread ...

or the 2008 election thread someone said,

"What difference does it make" "No matter which side wins we are all screwed anyway"

Jimbuna for best person to make a patrol with