SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-21, 10:22 AM   #1
themrwho
Torpedoman

Downloads: 140
Uploads: 0

Default Dark Waters Kiel Canal AutoPilot

Dark Waters Kiel Canal AutoPilot
by the themrwho, v.0.11 04/03/2021

Overview
This is a helper (AutoHotkey) script designed to be used with Dark Waters mega mod for the Silent Hunter 4 game. Script plays back a number of mouse clicks and keyboard key presses to assist the Uboat captain in easily setting up a navigation waypoint route from just outside Brunsbutel port to the Kiel naval docks.

Script requires some initial one-time only (setup) requirements such as the installation of AutoHotkey [macro programming software] on your computer.
In addition, some operational requirements will need to be met each time you wish to use the script such as launching script, setting up initial waypoint, zooming the map to a certain level and so on.
Attached PDF document is intended to explain prerequisites, operational considerations, known issues and so on.

Demo Video
There is a demonstration video on Vimeo (https://vimeo.com/519521836):

As there is no in-video remarks, here is a brief explanation on what’s happening on the video:
* Ship is returning from a patrol, moving east towards Brunsbutel; the last manually set waypoint is 15 KM out and exactly south of Brunsbutel harbor.
* After some (mostly unnecessary) tweaking, map alignment is set correctly (as shown in the video and in the screenshot below) matching what the script expects.
* At 00m:16s mark ALT+8 hotkey is pressed; script takes over, starts zooming out and manually placing waypoints & dragging map to the ‘next screen’.
* At 01m:005s mark script ends its execution.
* I take over, manually drag the map to inspect the automatically plotted route, I am satisfied with the result and make no manual changes.
* From 01m:34s mark onward, I am just following the Uboat sometimes in External View sometimes in map view.
(Note: Please ignore the accidental submerge/surface etc. after 10+ years of silent hunter I know the basic controls actually but the sleep deprivation!)

Download
I do not seem to have the ability to upload files here on Subsim.com Forums - as an alternative file repository, I have uploaded it to GitLab.com, here: https://gitlab.com/themrwho/dark-wat...anal-autopilot
On that page, you can download the entire repository as a single ZIP archive by clicking on the DOWNLOAD button (down pointing arrow next to blue CLONE button) then choosing "zip" download option.

How to Use
More detailed instructions are in the documentation but here is a Quick Summary:
1) Place the "DarkWaters_Kiel_Canal_AutoPilot.ahk" file anywhere on your computer. Double click on it to run it. It will go to system tray & will start listening for keystrokes when SilentHuter4 window is active.
2) Place the 'JGSME mod directory' (which can be found once the ZIP is extracted, under 'JGSME_mod_directory' > 'Dark Waters Kiel Canal AutoPilot Hotkeys') into your standard JGSME MODS directory. This will add few (two, so far) necessary custom keybindings.
3) Activate the JGSME mod.
4) Launch & enjoy.

Documentation
Also on the GitLab, in PDF and ODT formats.

Thanks!

---

Update Log
2021-03-05: Added the missing "JGSME mod directory" to the GitLab repo. ( Here is a direct commit link to see what changed: https://gitlab.com/themrwho/dark-wat...2688f078d9ed0f ). Update post below: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...94&postcount=4

2021-03-07 Update: Good news! At the GitLab repo, in the documentation (PDF/ODT) there is only one 'Known Issue' listed, "Script is not 100% reliable". (In other words not all "click"s register, so sometimes script misses an add-waypoint operation). With further testing I have managed to eliminate this completely. Based on two days worth of testing, script's current success rate in add-waypoint operation is 100%. Further details in the Update Post below: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...52&postcount=5

Last edited by themrwho; 03-07-21 at 04:59 PM. Reason: add 2021-03-07 update
themrwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 11:54 AM   #2
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Nice to see people keep enhancing this mod!

Well done
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 05:00 AM   #3
themrwho
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Nice to see people keep enhancing this mod!

Well done
Thanks!
Old 03-05-21, 05:07 AM   #4
themrwho
Torpedoman

Default Added missing 'JGSME mod directory'

2021-03-05 Update: Added the missing "JGSME mod directory" to the GitLab repo. ( Here is a direct commit link to see what changed: https://gitlab.com/themrwho/dark-wat...2688f078d9ed0f )

This has also been added to the bottom of the 1st post in this thread.
Old 03-07-21, 04:57 PM   #5
themrwho
Torpedoman

Default Good news!

2021-03-07 Update: Good news! At the GitLab repo, in the documentation (PDF/ODT) there is only one 'Known Issue' listed, "Script is not 100% reliable". (In other words, not all "scripted click"s register, so sometimes script misses an add-waypoint operation). With further testing I have managed to eliminate this completely. Based on two days worth of testing, script's current success rate in add-waypoint operation is 100%.

I will not provide an update here just yet as I have moved on from this concept of one-script/one-function to a single-script/multiple-modules(functions) method. So far, one module is this i.e.: the KCA (Kiel Canal Autopilot), another module is BS (Battle Stations). I will release the new one after some further self-testing and maturation. Until then, if you happen to see this and are interested, post here, I will give you a testing version URL.

This has also been added to the bottom of the 1st post in this thread.

Last edited by themrwho; 03-07-21 at 05:00 PM. Reason: typo