Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-16-21, 07:38 PM   #1
DiTRay
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
radar Downgraded graphics in Silent Hunter 2

Hello, everyone! I haven’t played SH2 for quite a long time and I watched some videos on YouTube about the gameplay. Then I noticed that the game in these videos looks a lot better, than my installation. For example, clouds and 3D waves are missing, and the weather doesn’t change even in the mission editor. So, there are no waves, no rain, no significant fog, etc. It’s so weird when I choose storm and there is just flat water and the U-boat doesn’t even shake. Later I found that all these features actually exist on the official screenshots of the game. It’s like no matter what settings I use, the graphics just falls back to minimal. Another thing that annoys me is that the hotkeys screen is empty. I have to use a smartphone to look through the manual in order to find key bindings. The file KeyCmd.txt for this screen exists in SH2 install folder and is filled properly, but for some reason is not viewed in the game. I consider it’s a videocard or DirectX 8 problem, but I don’t know what I can do with it. Does anybody know how to solve it? I haven’t found anything related here at SubSim, nor in Google. I am using Windows 7 x64 and AMD Radeon HD 6700M if it’s important. The game version is 1.1. I would really appreciate any help, as getting back those SH2 memories from childhood is invaluable.

Last edited by DiTRay; 12-16-21 at 08:02 PM.
DiTRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-21, 10:38 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard,

DitRay!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-21, 06:13 PM   #3
DiTRay
Swabbie

Icon1 Update

Alright, after many hours of research I was able to solve all issues. Well, kind of...

Firstly, today I accidentally found a patch that fixes the problem with the hotkeys window text. I tried it and it works! Here is the link: http://web.archive.org/web/202112172...9/sh2patch.exe

Secondly, the problem with waves is actually a side effect of a missing weather issue. I'm using a Russian CD version of SH2, which is what causes all that. After a few more hours I found an ISO of the original English SH2. When I installed it, the weather began to work perfectly, even with 1.1 patch. Voila! The hotkeys window is viewed correctly as well.

However, it would be better if I could bring back all these features to the Russian version. I tried to copy Russian translation to the English SH2 installation folder, but as expected it breaks fonts in the game. Looks like the localizer/publisher just broke the weather engine, while making the game to work with Cyrillic letters. Honestly, I've never seen such failure before.

Anyway, if anyone has some thoughts on how to properly fix this issue it would be interesting to read. I hope, this helps someone with the same problem.

Last edited by DiTRay; 01-06-22 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-31-21, 08:01 AM   #4
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141

Re : SH2/DC weather. I can’t help with the Russian/ English conversion or their specific differences, however I can tell you something about how the weather is coded in the English version.

The weather for each scenario is defined in the “.SDF” file. Specific weather types are defined in the weather.ini file. The .SDF is a script file in English ( I’m not aware of another language version) . This script is read by the game engine to set up each scenario’s details including the weather. By writing to this script you can create a variety of weather conditions and even weather fronts (clouds, rain, fog etc )that move through the scenario as it runs . The game’s weather system was never fully utilize on initial release. I’m guessing the reason was because the average PC couldn’t handle it , and multiplayer was desired at the time. The game also needed to be simpler to understand for the average user. The weather engine is pretty good and I’ve had a good time playing around with it in DC. I find DC interesting sandbox to play with.

Hope this helps with your project, and keep us informed of your progress.
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 05:48 PM   #5
DiTRay
Swabbie

Icon1 Reply

Ahoy, Aktungbby, Vox165!

Thank you for the reply!

Wow! I didn't know the weather engine in this sim is so sophisticated. That's really great, especially for the time of the release. Could you tell me, where I can find more info about how to write weather fronts in the scenarios? I like sandboxes and simulation games with advanced scenario editors. It would be interesting to see full potential of SH2.

Speaking of the ".SDF" files, I compared a few of them in Russian and English versions and they seem to be identical. The only difference is that the names of the missions, ships and bases are in Russian. Weather conditions are also the same. There is also "Ships Galore" scenario missing and an extra SDF file in Random scenarios in the Russian version, which couldn't affect the game so much. It's just an interesting fact. Looks like the localization didn't go right.

Well, I guess I'll have to parse both Russian and English versions with a HEX editor or a disassembler to see the changes and hopefully get everything to work properly.

I'm also aware that Ubisoft opened the source code of the game to the Subsim community but I could not find it. The only thing I found is the "Projekt Messerwetzer" patch. I thought it cold help me to find the problem in the binary, but I'm absolutely unsure if I really need it.

Anyway, if there are any updates I'll post them here right off. I'll see what I can do...
Old 01-06-22, 07:55 PM   #6
akula65
A-ganger

Downloads: 23

I don't remember what weather specific information it provides, but you might want to see the SHII Scenario Hand Edit Guide that was formerly available on McBeck's site. Here is a Wayback Machine link to the document:
https://web.archive.org/web/20070813...H2_EDIT_v1.zip
akula65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 08:18 PM   #7
DiTRay
Swabbie

Icon1

Thank you, akula65!

I already found a commented quick guide to weather fronts coding in "weather.ini" file in the game itself. However, the file you posted looks like a complete manual on how to create a custom scenario, including complex weather.

Many thanks!
Old 01-07-22, 10:29 PM   #8
DiTRay
Swabbie

Icon14 Solution

Looks like I finally got it working!

Vox165, thank you again! You were right, the problem was really with the “.SDF” files.

I created a fix, which can be installed via JSGME or simply by copying the contents of the folder into the "Silent Hunter II" installation folder.

Here is the link to the ZIP file on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15W3...ew?usp=sharing

Here is my story.

Firstly, I compared the game executables and found out that English and Russian versions differ in size. To locate the problem I decided to swap Russian and English executables starting with "Sim.exe". Everything worked without any change until I swapped "Shell.exe", then the game started to crash. So, I thought that the problem is in this executable.

Then, I tried to disassemble and decompile the game. However, I didn't manage to get far enough as the code is really complicated. The fact that the game is split into multiple executables makes it even more difficult to explore. So, I gave up on this way and started to look for another solution.

While exploring the SH2 folder I noticed the "Fonts" folder. It gave me an idea to try and copy Russian text translation into the English version as I did previously, but also to add Russian fonts. So, that worked! I got an English version with working weather and a Russian translation. After this little success I started to create a translation mod. However, while doing it I noticed that in the "Weather.ini" file all weather codes were written in Russian. More than that, the weather conditions which consisted of two words were split by spaces, not by underscores. I don't know why they decided to translate weather codes as it's absolutely unnecessary (users won't even see those files) and it definitely could lead to serious problems with scenarios and the weather engine itself.

Next, I got back to the Russian version, replaced the "Weather.ini" file with the English one and tried to create a random mission with stormy weather. It's hard to describe my happiness at that moment. I got this beautiful graphics and weather in a fully translated Russian version. I've got no idea why the executables are different in size. They both are v1.1.

After all that I just replaced Russian weather condition names in all scenarios with the English ones and packed it. A nice and easy solution I was looking for. (And I also corrected one little typo on the splash screen.)

After some rest I'll arrange a little party. Thanks everyone for your help support and support! I hope this helps others with the same problem. This thread should probably be created in the Russian Subsim forums, but at that time I didn't expect that it's all because of the version.

P.S. Heh, I really like those Kaleun smilies
Old 01-09-22, 06:17 PM   #9
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141

I’m pleased your making progress and having fun too ! The game’s source code was never released. But you don’t need it . You can transform the game’s scenarios and gameplay by simple writing to to the .sdf.

Re: weather. The weather.ini” file (in my copy of DC ) defines 8 “global” weather states (e.g. CLEAR, OVERCAST_RAINY, STORM, etc. ). Each of these states have wind (speed/ dir) SeaState, Visibility, Temp, parameters etc defined for it. they may include a front that moves through. . These are simply used in the [SCENARIO] block of the scenario ‘s .sdf to define the weather.
E.g. [SCENARIO]
Date=19420111
Time=1600
TitleEnglish=Torpedo Junction
Type=Single
Origin = -75.17230,35.77140 (long/latt)
InitialZoom= 5
Weather= OVERCAST_RAINY

In above scenario block, Overcast and Rainy conditions ( as they are defined in weather.ini) will cover the entire area for the duration of this scenario. IIRC all of the stock campaigns and mission use global weather.

A “[Front#]” defines a weather system that moves through a mission. They are not the same as the global weather states. Fronts can be included as part of a global weather state. Fronts simulate dynamically changing weather. The conditions and parameters defining fronts can be found in the weather. Ini. The front’s size dimensions, altitude, heading, cloud texture, wind velocity , precipitation, winds etc can be changed . - Very cool.

Some fronts are defined in the weather.ini. You can also decide to leave-out a global weather statement, and define each front separately within the .sdf. It’s possible to have multiple weather fronts passing and overlapping through a mission dynamically.

[SCENARIO]
Date=19420111
Time= 0200
TitleEnglish=Torpedo Junction
Type=SingleOrigin = -75.17230,35.77140 (long/latt)
InitialZoom= 5
Weather= vox1 (* Note I dropped a global weather statement and redefining a new one as vox1 , then I add fronts that move through.

[Weather]
Name = vox1
Wind = 10,SW
SeaState= 12
Visibility=1

[FRONT1]
Location = -76.31470,36.859105 (long/latt center of front)
Size = 80,80 ; rectangle dimension nM
Altitude = 8000. ; Clouds forms in m
Movement = 20,W ; knots
CloudType = OVERCAST
CloudID = Cloud007 ; texture used
Transparent = FALSE
WInd 20,W ; knots
SeaState = 5
Precipitation= LIGHT
Intermittent= FALSE. ; precipitation
Temperature = 12. ; Celsius
Visibility = 4 ; Fog 0-8 default is 1
Continuous = FALSE ; Front continuous covers the whole sky

[FRONT2] …….etc. There may be a limit but haven’t found it.

IIRC Fronts and dynamic weather were not in stock, probably because the average win 95 PCs at the time couldn’t handle it. IIRC precipitation in the stock game was Initially disabled too.. To fix Go to the weather.ini and remove the “;” that comment out precipitation lines in fronts 8 and 10. There are a better rain and snow graphics in Subsim downloads area too.

SH2 and Destroyer Command (DC) were designed to work together as multiplayer, so they share features (scripting, models etc) Many of the Subsim SH2/DC downloads work for both. I have had as much fun building scenarios as I have playing them. I am a destroyer enthusiast so I still occasionally experiment with DC. (For subs SH 3,4,5 and AOD)

I use the Official patch v 1.1 and The Projekt Messerwetzer (PM) patch v1.03. The PM in addition to multiplayer fix has some SP improvements too. The contributing members of Subsim and others deserve a lot of credit for this.

I also recommend Kreigstanz Developer (KD) by Floater. It’s avail Subsim. KD is a utility for creating, generating, editing and testing SH2 and DC mission files anywhere on the world map ( Baltic and Black Sea ) It includes a useful manual of editing tips. I usually use KD to “rough-out”a scenario, then hand edit the .sdf - it’s a useful Sandbox. It also can generate quick random missions.

I’ll close with an image showing a KD scenario made for DC. The red lines are dynamic Convoy routes. The blue circles are areas where German Uboats and aircraft are dynamically spawned to intercept. The red circle is an allied recon aircraft zone.

I wish you many happy hours and success! -Vox

Last edited by Vox165; 01-10-22 at 07:00 AM.
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-22, 03:37 PM   #10
DiTRay
Swabbie

Default Another new project

Thanks for the tips!

I uncommented precipitation in weather.ini for default weather fronts and it worked. Haven't tried snow effects yet, only rain, but it looks a bit odd in my opinion. However, I suppose it was OK for Win95 hardware and it definitely adds more immersion, so I'll keep it.

Speaking of the Projekt Messerwetzer, I tried to install it on SH2 earlier. Well, as the patch exists for English and German versions only I got a crash on SH2 launch. So, I decided to try and make PM compatible with the Russian version of SH2 and if it works I would post the link to my work here.

After reading your reply I decided to acquire a physical copy of Destroyer Command in Russian. It was a hard task I'd say. I found the only copy on sale in my region if not in the whole country... To my surprise, the 1.0.3 version of DC works with v1.1 of SH2! I thought it is only possible since 1.1 patch. The only thing that annoys a little is that the video of the server instance is choppy, no matter if it's SH2 or DC. Hopefully PM patch would fix this. Here comes my another project: I'd like to translate PM not only for SH2, but also for DC. The patch 1.1 for DC should be translated also, it doesn't work out of the box. I'll post my results here, and I should definitely inform the Russian part of the forums. Writing about fixes for Russian versions in an English-speaking thread is a bit pointless in my opinion... However, I'd like to keep this thread as the main one, because this is where it all started.

Talking about Destroyer Command itself, I played it a little. To my surprise I liked it not less than SH2. Probably because the interface is almost the same, which makes me feel at home. In another hand, the gameplay and mechanics differ a lot really, which is curious to study. DC in Russia was distributed by another publisher than the SH2. So, there is no weather bug. However, the is another bug, which prevents secondary missions completion to trigger when a player returns back to the home port. And you know what? There is the same problem: in bases.ini the port names are in Russian, but in scenarios they are in English. The names of all vessels are translated, though. I'm going to fix this too and post my results here as well.

I wonder why nobody in Russian community ever wrote about all these problems? I found them in less then a month, but DC and SH2 exist for almost 20 years already...

I'll need to test my fixed versions of DC and SH2, so if there is anyone who would like to participate and play in the interoperability mode, I'll be glad to see you. The language of the games doesn't matter, the binaries are the same.

Anyway, as always I'll post my updates here ASAP.
Old 02-06-22, 10:14 PM   #11
astvitaliy1982
Lieutenant

Downloads: 524

Привет) Буду следить за вашей темой. Меня она очень заинтересовала.
astvitaliy1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-22, 10:12 AM   #12
DiTRay
Swabbie

Default Greetings,

astvitaliy1982!
Old 02-07-22, 10:31 AM   #13
DiTRay
Swabbie

Support Environment for SH2/DC

There is one more thing I'd like to ask on the forums. What is the best way to run SH2 & DC?

I run them on Win7, but unfortunately Erich Topp videos won't play in SH2 as well as Ship Interiors in DC. Looks like a QuickTime problem, but all the videos and interiors work well outside the games. Game intros play as intended, though. I tried the same in Win10 and there were no problems at all, but I don't own this OS. Another option I tried is Wine under macOS where everything works absolutely good, except the shaded surfaces which are completely black. Looks like a sort of a lighting problem.

I consider setting up WinME or Win98 in DOSBox-X and try to install SH2 and DC there. Obviously, it is not an easy task.

If anyone knows any other easier ways of getting a better experience with the simulators I'll be glad to read it.

Last edited by DiTRay; 02-07-22 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-07-22, 10:58 AM   #14
Andreas86
Engineer

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiTRay View Post
There is one more thing I'd like to ask on the forums. What is the best way to run SH2 & DC?

I run them on Win7, but unfortunately Erich Topp videos won't play in SH2 as well as Ship Interiors in DC. Looks like a QuickTime problem, but all the videos and interiors work well outside the games. Game intros play as intended, though. I tried the same in Win10 and there were no problems at all, but I don't own this OS. Another option I tried is Wine under macOS where everything works absolutely good, except the shaded surfaces which are completely black. Looks like a sort of a lighting problem.

I consider setting up WinME or Win98 in DOSBox-X and try to install SH2 and DC there. Obviously, it is not an easy task.

If anyone knows any other easier ways of getting a better experience with the simulators I'll be glad to read it.

The best solution would be VMware, as it runs Windows 98 at very high speed. And this is actually an easy task. You can find VMware ready installs on archive.org. I have used this solution for playing Flight Simulator 98, as it is the ONLY way to run FS98 nowadays. Just make sure you use VMware workstation, so you have access to all graphics and aspect ratio settings.

Forget DOSbox for anything over Windows 3.1. And DOSbox X is maybe the slowest around, at least on Linux. Running SH2 on Windows 98 in a DosBox environment I think you would be looking at a 1 fps experience.
Andreas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-22, 03:19 PM   #15
DiTRay
Swabbie

Andreas86, thank you for the idea. I thought about VMWare but it's not my favorite virtualization software. I prefer VirtualBox because it's open source, but since VBox doesn't support 3D acceleration (properly) looks like VMWare is the only solution.

You are probably right about 1fps in DOSBox. I used it for Frontier Elite space sim and the performance was just OK... I thought I could give it a try but it's probably a REALLY bad idea.

Thank you!

Tags
3d waves, graphics, silent hunter ii, weather