Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-13-22, 03:36 AM   #1
prien1990
Watch

Downloads: 218
Uploads: 0
Default Destroyer Command Medal of Honor and other medals

Hi everybody,
Anyone being able to obtain the Medal of Honor and the Navy Distinguished Service Medal? Because the game seems to award only the Navy Cross as top award. Even when playing on 100% realism settings and completing missions in a single session with every secondary objective completed and replaying campaigns multiple times. Is this a bug or a feature? Are they hardly coded or you can mod them by yourself?
In the Campaign DSF files there are also the Purple Heart and the Navy Achievement Medal complete of their respective description and images, but also them never awarded as the manual states that CMHO is the highest medal.
There are also the Gold and Silver Lifesaving Medals, also them complete but never awarded.
In the reference manual in the game folder those are the medal supposed to be awarded:
-Bronze Star (got it)
-Silver Star (got it)
-Navy & Marine Corp Medal (got it)
-Navy Commendation Medal (got it)
-Navy Cross (got it)
-Navy Distinguished Service Medal (never)
-Medal of Honor (never)
In game DSF complete with image, description and file entry but unobtainable:
-Purple Heart
-Navy Achievement Medal
-Gold Lifesaving Medal
-Silver Lifesaving Medal
Thank’s for reading and feedback.
prien1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-22, 01:14 PM   #2
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141

Quote:
Anyone being able to obtain the Medal of Honor and the Navy Distinguished Service Medal?
I have not.

IIRC the formula used to determine awards are hardcoded. The manual hints that the Difficulty setting are involved and winning campaign objectives.

I know that the Scenario definition files (.sdf) define campaign mission objective scores. Each mission has an [OBJECTIVE] block that defines the objectives ( Type, Primary, Secondary etc ). Each objective can have a “Score”. These scores are presumably used by the game to determine campaign awards.
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-22, 02:19 PM   #3
prien1990
Watch

That’s correct, but as I said even if you play with 100% difficulty and complete all the primary and secondary objectives, the game awards you the Navy Cross as best medal. Altering score in DSF scenarios files does nothing. Even if you put higher values the game still awards you the Navy cross. I think CMHO and DistServiceMedal were left out from the final release.
Old 12-17-22, 05:50 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

There are not many CMOH awarded in real life, and for a reason. The few awarded to anyone on a destroyer, are for the most part, posthumous. I could not find but a few mentions of DD/DE craft at
https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-...ecipients.html

You will notice that Pharmacist Mates (medics) have a high-percentage of representation. For the most part, they were attached to US Marines units. For a bit of comparison, read "The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" for an idea of what it takes for a CMOH.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-23, 01:36 AM   #5
Easy Rhino
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

So, kind of old thread, and this isn't an definitive answer, but a clue, i have a snippet old old source code from the game and here is the only part where the DMOH might get awarded:

Code:
    if (nScoreMax >= 200)            // High-difficulty missions
    {
        if (m_aAwards[AWARD_SILVER_STAR] == 0)
            IssueAward(AWARD_SILVER_STAR);
        else if (rPercent >= 0.99f && m_aAwards[AWARD_NAVY_CROSS] != 0)
            IssueAward( AWARD_MEDAL_OF_HONOR );
        else
        {
            if (rPercent >= 0.9f)
                IssueAward( AWARD_NAVY_CROSS );
            else
                IssueAward( AWARD_SILVER_STAR );
        }
    }
So in other words, you'd have to be in a difficult mission anyway (over 200 points total), and have already received both the silver star and navy cross in previous missions. And play at 100% difficulty.

I can't guarantee there isn't a bug somewhere preventing the DMOH anyway, even if not, this could lead to bonkers situations where you have to singlehandedly sink the Scharnhorst or Yamato multiple times to get enough medals.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-23, 11:24 AM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Do better than USS Johnston (DD-557) but survive, eh?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-23, 11:54 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

Easy Rhino! On the surface after a 7 year 'silent run'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-23, 04:41 PM   #8
Easy Rhino
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

lol it's been a while. looks like my history from a long time ago got nuked I know I had more than 2 posts

A simple, but still time consuming, way to test for the CMOH would be to modify a few SDF files in a row so the objectives are worth a lot each, like 200 each, and then play a few missions on 100% difficulty and work your way through silver star, navy cross, etc.
Easy Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-23, 06:20 PM   #9
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Ahoy Mark! Good to see you again. I am guessing most of your posts are in the archives now
Old 05-30-23, 06:55 AM   #10
Vox165
Soundman

Downloads: 141

EasyRhino, That’s the first DC code snippet I’ve seen ( C/C++? )MK, and really clears that up! Thanks!

Last edited by Vox165; 05-30-23 at 09:49 AM.
Vox165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-23, 10:21 AM   #11
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

noting Easy Rhino's return and immediate BOSS nomination...having played DC endlessly myself, never having a successful career, much less the MoH...p'raps we should have a Best of Snippet award category!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-24, 03:52 AM   #12
prien1990
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rhino View Post
lol it's been a while. looks like my history from a long time ago got nuked I know I had more than 2 posts

A simple, but still time consuming, way to test for the CMOH would be to modify a few SDF files in a row so the objectives are worth a lot each, like 200 each, and then play a few missions on 100% difficulty and work your way through silver star, navy cross, etc.
Actually I did that, changed almost all objective points to 200 for every mission, completed both primary and secondary, 100% difficulty, managed to obtain both Silver Star and Navy Cross, Bronze Star, Navy/Marine Medal, Navy Commendation Medal, but no Navy Distinguished Service Medal or the MOH after those.
I definitely think those were left out of final release as were a bunch of other medals that are still present in the game files but never awarded (Lifesaving Medal, Purple Heart, Navy Achievement Medal). The only way to actually obtain them is to rename their files to some medals that are actually awarded, i.e. renaming the MOH to Navy Cross and so on. Unless some of you can make a fix I have no clue anymore.