SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-13-20, 02:34 AM   #1
Deep10
Watch

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Mods

Followed all the instructions to the letter and cannot get the Mod "Version 1.1 of Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition" to work, its OK if you stay in the control room but try and go to the bridge and it just crashes back to the desktop, so I have given up.
Back to the vanilla and try with making the AA better by fiddling with Nvidia control panel, yes its an old game but I just wanted to make it graphically more pleasing to the eye, is there anything I can do for this.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Deep10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 09:58 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Have you installed one of these 2:
- LAA or
- 4GB patch ?
LAA is included in the FOTRSU package, and the readme links to the 4GB Patch (which I find much easier to use). You need 1 of these 2 installed, these give the game the system RAM it really needs. Without those the game will soon crash whatever your system is if you have mods loaded. However it's mandatory to have a 64 bit OS system to install one of these.
Then, did you install the game outside of Program (x86) folder as recommended?

On a modern computer I don't need to make any changes in the NVidia Panel, I chose 1080x1920 @60Hz, I max-out all options and set Vsynch=ON. My game will run stable at 60 FPS which corrisponds to my 60 Hz monitor. Be aware however that this game was coded to run at 30 FPS, so if you use a modern super monitor with Gsynch at 144 Hz or such, then I don't know how the game will play.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-13-20 at 10:12 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 06:04 AM   #3
Deep10
Watch

I have installed SH4 outside of the X86 but I don't thing I have installed the 4GB patch, where do I get that please?.
Old 06-16-20, 06:16 AM   #4
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep10 View Post
I have installed SH4 outside of the X86 but I don't thing I have installed the 4GB patch, where do I get that please?.

LAA.exe is the Wolves of the Pacific folder along with SH4.exe

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 08:12 AM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:

Download here:
https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Place the 4gb_patch.exe in your main SH4 folder where sh4.exe is installed.
Double-click the 4gb_patch.exe and navigate, then chose the sh4.exe. The patch will apply and also backup your original sh4.exe.

XS
Old 06-16-20, 12:53 PM   #6
Havan_IronOak
Navy Dude

Downloads: 233

Quote:

The 4GB patch is the same thing that makes SH$.exe Large Address Aware, no? There's a copy of Large Address Aware.exe in the FotRSU mod that you've already downloaded.

In fact, if you haven't run that, it's most likely the reason that FotRSU crashed to Desktop. Mega mods require that extra memory.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
NVidia RTX2070 16 Gig
Havan_IronOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 05:05 AM   #7
Deep10
Watch

Icon14 Graphics MODS

Tried everything that you kind folk have advised to no avail, the MOD opens in the control room but try and go to the bridge and crash back to the desktop, I'm sure we as PC owners have at one time or another been stumped by something that won't work and got to the point of throwing the PC through the window LOL, well I am there but I will hold off LOL.
All I really want is a mod that makes the sea and ship wake look a bit better and just tart up the graphics a bit, so really I don't need these mega MODS.
Thank again folks for your help.
Old 06-17-20, 08:30 AM   #8
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Quote:
Tried everything that you kind folk have advised to no avail, the MOD opens in the control room but try and go to the bridge and crash back to the desktop, I'm sure we as PC owners have at one time or another been stumped by something that won't work and got to the point of throwing the PC through the window LOL, well I am there but I will hold off LOL.
All I really want is a mod that makes the sea and ship wake look a bit better and just tart up the graphics a bit, so really I don't need these mega MODS.
Thank again folks for your help.

Which savegame did you load? It must not be an autosave or a save that got overwritten (which you shouldn't do, you must save with a fresh name).

At this point I would check all this:

Important:
While doing the points below you can ALT-TAB out of the game to read this stuff and follow the points explained, but normally you WILL NEVER ALT-TAB OUT of the game because it messes-up the grafics and gameplay. After the point 10 below do not ALT-TAB anymore.

1)
Double click the yellow JSGME icon in your SH4 game folder, you should see this on the right side - and nothing else:

------------------------------------------------------
100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.1_EN
-------------------------------------------------------

2)
In the Explorer, navigate to your Documents\SH4 folder; delete the data folder inside.

3)
Relaunch Game, Go in the grafic options, set 1920x1080@60Hz if you have a 1080p monitor, set all to maximum except window mode and gamma, activate all grafic boxes, set Vsynch=ON.

4) Quit game and restart, it will be at the new grafic resolution

5) Start a new career, enter a name

6)
In the Port Office chose game options (near the books on the shelve) and set your game options for the career

7) Still in the Port Office, save the game with a different name, in the same menu you can delete the autosaves that you never use or other old savegames

8) Start your patrol by clicking on the map and depart from port or outside port.

9)
Go away from port and save game with a different name.

10)
Quit game

11) Restart game and load your last save

Should be alright now. At this point you can move inside sub with the arrow keys and must reactivate the waypoint on the map again because your sub will come to stop everytime you load a save, also all views will return to default, not to what they have been in your last game session.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 06-17-20 at 08:58 AM.

Tags
graphics, mods, sh4