Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-23-23, 01:55 PM   #211
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

They probably already have it.
It just takes years to adjust to how they are gonna make a profit off it.
Can't just dump oil without the transition time needed. No one is going to do an instant change from making Billions a month to any new technology.
Old 07-23-23, 03:14 PM   #212
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Imagine a car battery(used in ordinary gasolin cars) with which you could drive 700-800 km on when fully charged.

This is what I meant. Same capacity but only 1/20th of the size.

Markus

By "car" do you mean something that can haul a 5,000lb trailer and 5 adults with luggage or something like a Renault Twizy?

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-23, 03:21 PM   #213
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
By "car" do you mean something that can haul a 5,000lb trailer and 5 adults with luggage or something like a Renault Twizy?
Ha Dave never gave that a thought.

I say the first one.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-23, 07:47 AM   #214
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I think EVs are great for some applications: city driving, mostly. For hauling and interstate travelling, good ol' internal combustion is still the best.
Old 01-17-24, 09:37 AM   #215
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

And not so great for cold weather, what a PIA.

https://archive.ph/g7ssu

Quote:

With Chicago temperatures sinking below zero, electric vehicle charging stations have become scenes of desperation: depleted batteries, confrontational drivers and lines stretching out onto the street.

“When it’s cold like this, cars aren’t functioning well, chargers aren’t functioning well, and people don’t function so well either,” said Javed Spencer, an Uber driver who said he had done little else in the last three days besides charge his rented Chevy Bolt and worry about being stranded with a dead battery — again.

Mr. Spencer, 27, said he set out on Sunday for a charging station with 30 miles left on his battery. Within minutes, the battery was dead. He had to have the car towed to the station.

“When I finally plugged it in, it wasn’t getting any charge,” he said. Recharging the battery, which usually takes Mr. Spencer an hour, took five hours.
Old 01-17-24, 12:18 PM   #216
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

^ My bicycle batteries temporarily loose around 25-30% of the range they provide duringn autumn and spring and summer. And winter means modest German weather, temps around zero and up to almost 10°C in my place. In "winter".

And the joy when people wamnt to resell their ecars after some years. The loss of value will hit them in the face with a brickstone. Again, thats due to the constantly degrading battery. Even at optimal workigjn cidntions, or not even charged and uncharged at all, it slowly degrades over time. Replacing the battery in sch cars is not economic and not cost-efficient.

The way they think e-cars, simply is a dud, and is thought in ignorrance of the laws of physcis and chemistry. New battery types despite all talk and hyping, are at least ten years or more away. Until then it will be Lithium, and Lithium alone.

Its like with these flying cars and autonomous driving. Endless hypign, endless tlaking. Technically possible but delayed and delayed due to the devil hiding in the details.
Old 01-17-24, 12:21 PM   #217
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon12 Wittiest dry humor post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal
what a PIA
/\...Bottom line: Elon Musk is an overbearing snake oil salesman; the technolgy won't work with regard to freight trucks and recharging on a Tesla pickup truck trip of 1200 miles with stops to recharge takes 7 hours longer...and, throwing in the cost of my therapy for "distance anxiety" I'll nose around Hertz's impending sale of most of its EVs for an intown grocery getter. The cost and backlog of EV repairs is out of all proportion to conventional vehicals. My boat captain/neighbor just bought himself a new Chevy EV SUV Volt and is awaiting a level 2 recharger to be integrated to his Tesla solarpower system for speedier rechage times; ergo, I'll have ample opportunity to study the situation closely. I did ask him about an app to simulate an engine's 'throaty roar'...and apparently there is one-hopefully in Ferrari!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-24, 06:28 PM   #218
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Tesla officially claims the range is 513 km, the driver killed the battery from 100% to 0% and did not drive aggressively. He reached 243km range.

I would want neither a Tesla nor any other electric car. Especially if I have to pay fantasy prices for such a nonsense gadget. I would not even want an ecar for inner city business, the whole idea of having to spend so much time and paying so much attention just to get "fuel in the tank" in time, and then having to mimimi-nurse it during driving just to not die right on the street with 0%, is hilarious imo. And just for the city these cars are way too expensive.

Nevertheless the EU works on legislation that makes it illegal to own an old fossile car beyond the year 2035 or so. They want to force people to hand their old gasoline-run cars over by then. That was so far a taboo. Now its being tried to turn it into a reality.

However I think the concept is so obviously a dud that the whole project of enforcing e-cars sooner or later will and must collapse. It just will not work the way the supersmarties have figured it out.
Old 02-14-24, 09:23 AM   #219
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Starting to look like the craze is fading...

https://www.wsj.com/business/autos/e...tesla-b20a748e

Quote:
The Michigan plant where the F-150 Lightning electric truck is built used to vibrate with excitement.

President Biden visited in 2021 and test drove the blazing-fast pickup. Before the first ones even started rolling off the assembly line in the spring of 2022, Ford said it would expand the factory to quadruple the number it could build.

That energy is rapidly fading. Ford is cutting the plant’s output by half, and workers are relocating to other facilities, mostly those making gas-powered pickups and SUVs.

The sudden change “was a little bit of a shocker,” said Matthew Schulte, who inspects trucks at the factory in suburban Detroit. “Reality has set in.”
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-24, 11:00 AM   #220
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Speaking of Ford and electric cars

Quote:
By dubbing its own operation as a “Skunk Works” team, Ford is seeking to put the scale of the matter front-and-center.
https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/09/c...-ev/index.html

They still need to improve the batteries-Which I hope will come within the next couple of years.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-24, 03:56 PM   #221
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
I think EVs are great for some applications: city driving, mostly. For hauling and interstate travelling, good ol' internal combustion is still the best.

Old 02-15-24, 11:19 PM   #222
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

The idea of electric cars has mostly been scrapped over here in Australia, never caught on. Also it seems that is is uneconomical due mostly for battery costs and disposal.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 01:26 AM   #223
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default It's a hot time in the ol' town tonight

I'll stay out of Waymo driverless taxis in Frisco!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 02:23 AM   #224
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

I'll stick to my old Ford thanks!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-24, 04:47 AM   #225
em2nought
Ocean Warrior