SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-02-09, 09:41 PM   #1
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Default About the mastheads.

I was a bit confused myself about the double mast height issue. This mod was the first that introduced me to the U-Jagd tools, so it took me time to figure it out. Even though I've never missed a shot for closing targets (I don't fire at weird angles) I can't guarantee 100% that this is the way Mikhayl intended it to work, but here is my method.

1. Establish a perpendicular course to the target. My method is to look at the target, decide on a rough AOB, enter it in the dial, then move the periscope left or right untill the AOB dial shows the proper 90 degrees. Then just order a change to that heading. The beauty of this is that u can then check if the AOB on the dial coresponds with the ship as it closes. Before firing, i never need to move it for more than 5-10 degrees.
2. Get very very close. I'm only using electric torpedoes so anything over 2000m away is a coin flip (1000m max if I use magnetic detonator). If u can manage to keep a ship at around 45-60 degrees for long enough u can practically eye-sight when to stop closing.
3. Stop the boat completely and figure out the speed using the chronometer.
4. When the ship is at about 30 degrees u should be able to figure out the range without any calculation as most ships that u'll sink have between 20-25 m in height.
- 1 mark (2 degrees) = 4000m
- 2 marks (4 degrees) = 2000m
- 4 marks (8 degrees) = 1000m
Just in case u want to be exact about it u can use the U-Jagd tool but I found out that errors in speed estimation are balanced by errors in range estimation. I usually end up with a 12-13 degrees high ship and just set the trop to 600-700m.
However, this is the proper method (tested, and tested, and tested, with the mission editor):
- line up the number of degrees (good luck getting a good fix on that ) with the TOP of the circle (the 100 mark, not the 66 mark as U-Jagd manual stated)
- DOUBLE the mast. Yeap, u need to double it. You'll usually get between 40-50m as a result. Find that value on the outer ring and u'll see the range on the middle ring.
- in case you need to figure out the AOB, forget about it. I've never managed to do it with the OLC version of U-Jagd. And it's even more imprecise than an eye-estimate.

I don't like exact calcuations however because they give u a false sense of precision. Which leads to weird 45 degrees "moving away" shots in rough weather and lots of Loading screens. Now when i think about that bloody Notepad and the old rangefinder I can't help but laugh :rotfl:.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 02:46 AM   #2
Nissum
Watch

Downloads: 167
Default Lösung iengestellt

Just downloaded your ComboGui and installed it with Jsgme, looks very good. I have a little problem though. I don`t know if it is your GUI or GWX 3,0 that does it but my weapons officer can no longer give me the firing solution. When i press the shortcut for the weapons officer all his functions are there but the firing solutions button. He can ID the ship, choose target, manage weapons, open and close selected tubes. I know that in your combo mod all the tools for a manual target solution are there but along with my geomatry skills my math skills suchs, i just can`t get the AOB right no matter how hard I try and no matter how many manuals I read about the attack disc (the original german to) I just don`t understand the basics of the wheel. So I need my weapons officers fantastic skill for this. Can you help me? Mods I am using are:

1. GWX 3.0
2. GWX merged campaign
3. GWX VIIC41 player sub
4. GWX Enhanced damage effect
5. ACM v 1.1.0 Core files
6. ACM v 1.1.0 Dark files
7. Lifeboats & Debris_v4
8. DBSM
Nissum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 03:05 AM   #3
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131

The firing solution button has been deleted for realism purposes, because ACM GUI has been made for manual targeting. You have to calculate your solution by yourself.
Old 10-13-09, 07:07 AM   #4
Einsman
Engineer

Location: In one place in the Atlantic, say A Coruña, Galiza (Spain)
Downloads: 187

Hi!

Is this mod compatible with WAC 4.1?

Thank you
Einsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 05:16 AM   #5
Venatore
Admiral

Downloads: 68

Mikhayl,

This is a fantastic mod, so from me to you...thank you.

Kind Regards

Venatore
U-657
Venatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 01:16 AM   #6
el cheguevara
A-ganger

Downloads: 579
Uploads: 2

Anyone still using this gui? Just wanted to know if it was compatible with GWX 3.
el cheguevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-24, 11:59 AM   #7
PsycoM34
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 60
Default ayuda soy nuevo

donde debo entrar para hacer una pregunta, estoy encallado!...
PsycoM34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-24, 12:06 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Bienvenidos Capitano!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsycoM34 View Post
donde debo entrar para hacer una pregunta, estoy encallado!...
PsycoM34! puedes probar aquí: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=217

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote