SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims > Sub Commander
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-04-14, 04:03 PM   #361
JerikTelorian
Watch

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Geoff, thanks for working on this title. It's really a fantastic little bit of software. I've always had a thing for games that give you lots of buttons/switches to manage, it's a really neat experience!

I've lurked the thread a bit but haven't caught the language you're using for this: are you writing it in C++, or something else?

Quote:
It did lead to the most emotional moment of the game though, as my sub was grounded just off the coast of California, and my two remaining crew members were getting ready to abandon the sub and swim to the shore.
Is there an ability to abandon a sub or is this a bit of fluff? All of my excursions have ended in the deep.
JerikTelorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-14, 06:26 AM   #362
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerikTelorian View Post
Is there an ability to abandon a sub or is this a bit of fluff? All of my excursions have ended in the deep.
AFAIK this is a bit of imagination and artistic license. If there really is a way to abandon the sub, it's news to me!

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-14, 03:04 PM   #363
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

JerikTelorian & Fleters!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 07:46 AM   #364
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome Aboard

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 12:32 PM   #365
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 01:40 PM   #366
Dilqui
Watch

Downloads: 5

For some reason, it is confusing my post with wa2ddl's... But anyway, it's me!
(Edit): I posted something before, back a page. I discussed with Geoff the US bug. However, due to the anti-spam system flaring up for some reason, I had issues with my account, and my previous post was shown to be wa2ddl's. Anyway, I am back!)

Last edited by Dilqui; 11-07-14 at 11:51 AM.
Dilqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 02:18 PM   #367
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Welcome to SubSim Dilqui

Old 11-06-14, 05:45 PM   #368
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Dilqui

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 03:35 PM   #369
Borodin
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Default Sub Commander not starting

I've downloaded and unpacked this promising game, but when I run subcommander_0_25.exe I just get a brief flash of a black window and nothing more.

Setting windowed = 0 in gameoptions.ini gives me a full screen of black, and a flash of some controls, but this too dies after a couple of seconds. I've also tried disabling OpenGL which had no effect at all.

I can't see any posts from people with any issues at all with this game, so I cannot imagine what might be the problem on my system.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 with an Nvidia GTX 760.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be the problem?

Update

I've just seen the "Crashes, Bugs and Troubleshooting" thread, which is where this post belongs. Could an admin move it for me please?
Borodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-14, 07:56 PM   #370
kritZ
Nub

Downloads: 0

JerikTelorian, Tango589 it is a bit of artistic license. I would be a cool, albeit kinda useless feature.

TheGeoff, have you considered making the crewmen move out of a room if there is radiation in it? It's a little annoying when I send in an unprotected guy to assess the damage, and then he just sits around and absorbs enough radiation to turn into the hulk.
kritZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 10:31 AM   #371
JerikTelorian
Watch

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritZ View Post
JerikTelorian, Tango589 it is a bit of artistic license. I would be a cool, albeit kinda useless feature.
I figured, but I've found several neat little features that I didn't expect so I wasn't going to put it past Geoff.

Quote:
TheGeoff, have you considered making the crewmen move out of a room if there is radiation in it? It's a little annoying when I send in an unprotected guy to assess the damage, and then he just sits around and absorbs enough radiation to turn into the hulk.
Nobody is going to claim that these chaps don't know how to follow orders, that's for sure.

Also, many thanks for the warm welcome from everyone
JerikTelorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 02:21 PM   #372
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Welcome to SubSim Borodin

Old 11-10-14, 06:49 PM   #373
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

Once again RPS has nice things to say about this game. And many posters in the comments section agree!
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...sub-commander/

Last edited by Myxale; 11-11-14 at 05:52 AM.
Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-14, 08:58 PM   #374
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerikTelorian View Post
Geoff, thanks for working on this title. It's really a fantastic little bit of software. I've always had a thing for games that give you lots of buttons/switches to manage, it's a really neat experience!

I've lurked the thread a bit but haven't caught the language you're using for this: are you writing it in C++, or something else?

Thanks! Glad you like it. I'm a big fan of those kinds of games too, especially the DCS series.

Sub Commander is coded in BlitzPlus (http://www.blitzbasic.com/Products/blitzplus.php) although I eventually plan to port it to BlitzMax, which is much newer and will allow Mac/Linux compatibility and better graphics (including support for custom tilesets) among other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borodin View Post
I've downloaded and unpacked this promising game, but when I run subcommander_0_25.exe I just get a brief flash of a black window and nothing more.

Setting windowed = 0 in gameoptions.ini gives me a full screen of black, and a flash of some controls, but this too dies after a couple of seconds. I've also tried disabling OpenGL which had no effect at all.

I can't see any posts from people with any issues at all with this game, so I cannot imagine what might be the problem on my system.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 with an Nvidia GTX 760.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be the problem?

Update

I've just seen the "Crashes, Bugs and Troubleshooting" thread, which is where this post belongs. Could an admin move it for me please?
That's very unusual The only possible solutions I can think of at the moment are adding the game to the DEP exclusion list and running it as an administrator. If that doesn't help, try downloading an older version of the game and see if that works - if it does, let me know and I can compare the two versions to see what could be causing the problem.

Quote:

Yeah, I should probably make the crew avoid heavily irradiated compartments where possible. At the moment crew can't detect radiation levels at all, so they just act like it isn't there until they start shaking and vomiting - I've been thinking of adding a Geiger counter as a piece of equipment which allows the crew carrying it to sense and avoid radiation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxale View Post
Once again RPG has nice things to say about this game. And many posters in the comments section agree!
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...sub-commander/

Awesome! I knew something must've happened when the download rate briefly went from about 10 people per day to ~700 people per day
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-14, 03:26 PM   #375
jartoch
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Awesome game

Hi TheGeoff, I wanted to thank you for this awesome little game, its introduced me to submarine sims which im really liking so far. I also noticed some things:

- Internal Space in the reactor antechamber is spelled with a capital S while this is not the case in all the other rooms.

- Also, when you shut down the turbines, and you restart them, they are instantly back at their RPM, or is this because of the momentum they have?

- When I was sitting in the starting port at 30M depth i did not strike the seabed, but after a few minutes i suddenly started getting messages saying 'you struck the seabed' 'the sub lifted of the seabed'. These came really quickly after one another.

Also, suggestion, is there maybe a way to get a nice fade effect on the radar?