Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-25-16, 01:58 PM   #1426
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

March 25, 1916:

Air War:
German pilot Renatus Theiller, flying a two-seater with an unnamed observer, is credited with his first aerial victory.

Celtic Sea:
Paul Wagenfürh begins his career commanding U-44 with the sinking of Russian sailing ship SV Ottomar, 327 tons, bound from Churchtown, British Guyana for Liverpool with a load of greenhart wood.

North Sea:
Dutch freighter SS Duiveland, 1,297 tons, travelling in ballast from London to Sunderland, hits a mine laid by Egon von Werner in UC-1. Von Werner's score is now 16 ships and 17,028 tons.

His Majesty's Drifter Hilary II, 78 tons, hits a mine laid by Georg Haag in UC-7. Haag's score is now 14 ships and 24,130 tons.

Celtic Sea - Bay of Biscay:
French schooner SV Glaneuse, 100 tons, departs Swansea for Bordeaux with a load of coal and is not heard from again.
British coaster SS Sambo, 144 tons, travelling from Swansea to Morlaix, founders in the Bristol Channel.

Zanzibar:
British monitor HMS Mersey is secured and taken under tow by Fleet Auxiliary Trent. Destination is Durban, South Africa.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 06-01-16 at 01:53 PM.
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-16, 08:08 AM   #1427
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

26th March 1916

Western Front

German troops explode a mine underneath British lines at Neuville-Stain-Vaast and capture the crater.

French artillery fire west of Pont-à-Mousson hit a German grenade depot, causing it to explode.

Asiatic and Egyptian Theatres

Turkish base destroyed by air raid on Bir-el-Hassa (North Africa).

Russian progress on upper Chorok (Armenia).

Political etc.

Political and military leaders of the Allied powers gather in Paris for one of the largest conferences of the Allies since the war's start.

President Carranza of Mexico considers seizing lands of Catholic priests in order to boost the country’s currency.

President Wilson warns that “sinister and unscrupulous influences” are trying to make the U.S. and Mexico go to war against each other.

Ship Losses:

Cerne (United Kingdom) The cargo ship struck a mine laid by UC 7 (Georg Haag) and sank in the Thames Estuary. Her 23 crew survived.
Ekonom (Russia) The schooner was abandoned in the English Channel off St. Michael's Mount, Cornwall, United Kingdom. Her crew were rescued by Westerdijk ( Netherlands).
SMS G194 (Kaiserliche Marine) The G192-class destroyer was rammed by HMS Cleopatra ( Royal Navy) and sank in the North Sea off Tønder, Denmark.
Hebe (France) The cargo ship struck a mine laid by UC 5 (Ulrich Mohrbutter) and sank in the North Sea 6 nautical miles (11 km) east of the Sunk Lightship ( United Kingdom (51°53′00″N 1°46′30″E). Her eighteen crew survived.
Khartoum (United Kingdom) The fish carrier struck a mine laid by UC 5 (Ulrich Mohrbutter) and sank in the North Sea 6 nautical miles (11 km) north east of the Longstone Lightship ( United Kingdom) with the loss of nine of her eleven crew.
Norne (Norway) The cargo ship was sunk in the Bay of Biscay (47°28′N 7°00′W by SM U-28 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
SMS S22 (Kaiserliche Marine) The V1-class destroyer struck a mine and sank in the North Sea with the loss of 76 of her crew.
Saint Cecilia (United Kingdom) The cargo ship struck a mine laid by UC 6 (Matthias Graf von Schmettow) and sank in the English Channel 3 nautical miles (5.6 km) south of Folkestone, Kent. Her crew survived.
Tabora (Germany) (Flag of the Red Cross.): The hospital ship was sunk by HMS Hyacinth ( Royal Navy).

Ishi, last member of the Yahi tribe in California and known as the “last wild Indian,” has passed away:

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-16, 12:44 PM   #1428
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

March 26, 1916:

Air War:
French pilot André Chainat, flying a Nieuport 10 or 11, shoots down a German two-seater for victory number 2.

Saxon-born German pilot Hans Karl Müller, flying a two-seater with an unnamed observer, brings down a French two-seater for victory number 2.

English Channel:
British freighter SS Saint Cecilia, 4,411 tons, bound from Portland, Maine to London with a general cargo, hits a mine laid by Mattias von Schmettow in UC-6. Von Schmettow's score is now 32 ships and 41,851 tons.

North Sea:
French freighter SS Hebe, 1,494 tons, travelling in ballast from Caen to Newcastle, hits a mine laid by Ulrich Mohrbutter in UC-5. British trawler Khartoum, 303 tons, also hits a mine laid by Mohrbutter, raising his score to 6 ships and 7,824 tons.

British collier SS Cerne, 2,579 tons, carrying a load of coal from Tyne to London, hits a mine laid by Georg Haag in UC-7. Haag's score is now 15 ships and 26,709 tons.

Bay of Biscay:
Georg-Günther von Forstner, in U-28, sinks Norwegian freighter SS Norne, 1,224 tons, carrying a load of pit props from Villagarcia to Cardif. His score is now 20 ships and 47,867 tons.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 06-01-16 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-27-16, 09:13 AM   #1429
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

27th March 1916

Western Front

Two lines of German trenches captured at St. Eloi (Ypres).

British troops explode a mine under German lines at St. Eloi, south of Ypres, and capture 600 yards of trenches.

Eastern Front

Russian troops continue its offensive in the Dvinsk sector. Germany reports the attacks were made with “unprecedented numbers.”

Southern Front

German air raid on Salonika.

Russians cross River Baltachi Darassi (Armenia).

Naval

156 Norwegian and Swedish ships, both neutral nations, have been sunk since the war’s start.

Political etc.

Paris Conference opens; eight States represented.

Ship Losses:

Empress of Midland (United Kingdom) The cargo ship struck a mine laid by UC 1 (Egon von Werner) and sank in the North Sea 9 nautical miles (17 km) south of the Kentish Knock Lightship ( United Kingdom) (51°31′N 1°43′E). Her crew survived.
Harriet (Denmark) The cargo ship struck a mine laid by UC 5 (Ulrich Mohrbutter) and sank in the North Sea 5 nautical miles (9.3 km) east of the Sunk Lightship ( United Kingdom) (51°53′30″N 1°45′00″E). Her eighteen crew survived.
HMT Lerwick (Royal Navy) The naval trawler was lost on this date.
Manchester Engineer (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Irish Sea 20 nautical miles (37 km) west by south of the Coningbeg Lightship ( United Kingdom) by SM U-44 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.

Old 03-27-16, 11:58 AM   #1430
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

March 27, 1916:

Air War:
French pilot Albert Mezergues, flying a Voisin with an unnamed observer, shoots down an "Enemy Aircrft" for victory number 2. Mezergues will score two more victories between this date and September 14, 1918, and one more after that, for a total of six, but other than the date for number 5 there are no details other than the basic listing.

Celtic Sea:
Paul Wagenführ, commanding U-44, sinks British freighter SS Manchester Engineer, 4,302 tons, bound from Philadelphia to Manchester with an unspecified cargo. His score is now 2 ships and 4,629 tons.

North Sea:
British freighter SS Empress of Midland, 2,224 tons, carrying a load of coal from Newcastle to Rouen, hits a mine laid by Egon von Werner and UC-1. Von Werner's score is now 17 ships and 19,252 tons.

Danish freighter SS Harriet, 1,372 tons, en route from Oran to Leith with a load of esparto (African grass), hits a mine laid by Ulrich Mohrbutter in UC-5, bringing his score to 7 ships and 9,196 tons.
Old 03-28-16, 11:12 AM   #1431
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

28th March 1916

Western Front

Battle of Verdun: German attack on Haucourt-Malancourt front repulsed.

Eastern Front

Russian success north of Bojan (Galicia).

Second Anzac Corps formed in Egypt.

Naval and Overseas Operations

Russian torpedo-boats sink ten ships and destroy munition depot on Black Sea.

Political, etc.

The Allied War Conference ends today. The nations declare unity of military action, economic action, and diplomatic action.

House of Commons debate whether or not to charge workers who plot strikes at munition factories with treason.

Commission handling food supplies for the Entente orders 600 million one-pound tins of Irish stew for the Allied armies.

Heavy rains and blizzards hit England, crippling railroads and telegraphs in many parts of the country.

The Wilson Administration declares it is growing weary of German evasions and excuses concerning its submarine campaign.

Ship Losses:

Eagle Point (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 100 nautical miles (190 km) west north west of the Bishop Rock, Isles of Scilly by SM U-70 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Lavinia Westoll (United Kingdom) The cargo ship struck a mine and sank in the North Sea 33 nautical miles (61 km) south east by south of the Spurn Lightship ( United Kingdom).
Olga (Russia) The schooner was driven ashore at The Mumbles, Glamorgan, United Kingdom. Her crew survived. Although later refloated, she was declared a constructive total loss and sold for scrap.
Rio Tiete (United Kingdom) The collier was torpedoed and sunk in the Bay of Biscay 140 nautical miles (260 km) west of Ouessant, Finistère, France (47°30′N 8°25′W) by SM U-28 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
HMT Saxon Prince (Royal Navy) The naval trawler foundered in the English Channel off Dover, Kent with the loss of all hands.

Old 03-28-16, 01:16 PM   #1432
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

March 28, 1916:

Irish Sea:
British brigantine SV Hildred, 225 tons, en route from Fowey to Glasgow with a load of china clay, is wrecked off Troon.

Celtic Sea:
Otto Wünsche, commanding U-44, sinks British freighter SS Eagle Point, 5,222 tons, bound from St. John, New Brunswick to Le Havre with a cargo of hay and oats. His score is now 26 ships and 27,868 tons.

Bay of Biscay:
Georg-Günther von Forstner, in U-28, sinks British freighter SS Rio Tiete, 3,042 tons, carrying coal from Barry to Alexandria. His score is now 21 ships and 50,909 tons.

North Sea:
British freighter SS Lavinia Westoll, 3,131 tons, travelling from Almeria to Middlesbrough with a load of iron ore, is sunk by a mine laid by an unknown ship. No casualties.

British schooner SV Lembit, 320 tons, carrying a load of burnt ore from Gravesend to Tyne, is wrecked at Happisburgh Beach.

British sailing ship SV Lord Dufferin, 120 tons, travelling from London to Dieppe with a load of scrap iron, is wrecked at Kingsgate.

His Majesty's Trawler Saxon Prince, 237 tons, disappears in a force 12 storm off Dover. No survivors.
Old 03-29-16, 09:00 AM   #1433
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

29th March 1916

Western Front

Battle of Verdun: Germans enter Malancourt village; French recover Avocourt redoubt.

Eastern Front

Russian offensive against the Germans in the Dvinsk region falters due to the spring thaw, inundating the marshes and lakes.

Southern Front

Italian success east of Seltz.

Political, etc.

The Reichstag holds a meeting to discuss the military and political situation, particularly on the question of submarine warfare.

General Polivanov resigns at War Minister; succeeded by General Shuvaiev.

Unrest in Holland.

U.S. troops and Mexican rebels led by Pancho Villa fight in Guerrero, Chihuahua. 5 Americans are wounded, while 56 rebels are killed.

Old 03-29-16, 09:35 AM   #1434
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

March 29, 1916:

Air War:
1100 German ace Max Immelmann, in a Fokker E.IV, shoots down FE.2b 6352 for victory number 12. 2nd Lts F.C. Pinder and E.A. Halford are both taken POW.

Bohemian-born Austro-Hungarian Otto Jindra, recently upgraded from observer to pilot, is flying Albatros B.I 22.23 with an unnamed observer when they shoot down a Russian-flown Morane parasol two-seater. It is victory number 4 for Jindra, and his first as pilot.

St. George's Channel:
Paul Wagenfürh, commanding U-44, torpedoes His Majesty's Sloop Begonia, 1,250 tons. The damaged ship survives the attack and is towed to Cobh (Queenstown), Ireland for repairs.

North Sea:
British barquentine SV Faithlie, 187 tons, carrying scrap iron from London to Dieppe, is wrecked at Margate. Six of the seven crewmembers are rescued by the Margate lifeboat. Lost is Walter Lewis, age 15.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 04-23-16 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-30-16, 08:03 AM   #1435
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

30th March 1916

Western Front

Battle of Verdun: German repulsed at Fort Douaumont.

Two German attacks on the east of the Meuse, despite being supported by flamethrowers, are repulsed by French defenses.

Eastern Front

Germans driven back over River Oldenevitz.

Naval and Overseas Operations

"Portugal", French Hospital ship, torpedoed in Black Sea by German submarine U-33; 115 lost.

Political, etc.

The Reichstag: “Germany’s sea warfare should be carried through by all means most instrumental in securing a successful issue of the war.”

Britain tightens its blockade of Germany. Ships in the area can now be captured even if it was destined to a non-blockaded port.

Ship Losses:

Bell (Norway) The four-masted barque was scuttled in the Atlantic Ocean off Ouessant, Finistère, France (48°55′N 7°40′W) by SM U-44 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
John Pritchard (United Kingdom) The schooner was scuttled in the Ionian Sea off Paxos, Greece (38°40′N 20°20′E) by SM U-4 ( Austro-Hungarian Navy). Her crew survived.
Portugal (Imperial Russian Navy) (Flag of the Red Cross): The hospital ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Black Sea off Rizeh, Turkey (41°01′N 41°19′E) by SM U-33 ( Kaiserliche Marine).
Trewyn (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 80 nautical miles (150 km) west of Ouessant (47°30′N 7°30′W) by SM U-28 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of 23 crew.
Saint Hubert (France) The barquentine was shelled and sunk in the Bay of Biscay (47°35′N 7°20′W) by SM U-28 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew were rescued by Livonia ( United Kingdom).

Old 03-30-16, 09:55 AM   #1436
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

March 30, 1916:

Air War:
1115 German ace Max Immelmann scores victory number 13, shooting down BE.2c 4116. Lt Wayland Joyce is taken POW, 2nd Lt Geoffrey Joseph Lightburn Welsford KIA.

German ace Hans-Joachim Buddecke, flying a Fokker E.III for the Turkish Air Force, claims a Farman two-seater, but it is listed as "unconfirmed".

French pilot René Doumer, flying a Caudron, is credited with bringing down a Fokker eindecker for victory number 2. It is listed as a shared kill, with a "Soldat Jannotte" being the other pilot. Since the Caudron is a two-seater and a "Soldat" is a private, there is reason to believe that Jannotte was Doumer's observer.

Russian pilot Viktor Federov, flying a Caudron G.4 for the French Air Service with Pierre Lanero as observer, shoots down a German 2-seater for shared victory number 3.

German pilot Max von Mulzer, in a Fokker E.III, shoots down FB.5 5471 for his first confirmed victory. 2nd Lt James Castle and AM2 E.R.A. Coleman are both taken POW.

French pilot Joseph Vuillemin and observer "Lt. Moulines", in a Caudron, shoot down an attacking Fokker for Vuillemin's second victory.

Celtic Sea:
Paul Wagenfürh, commanding U-44, stops and scuttles Norwegian barque SV Bell, 3,765 tons, bound from Portland, Oregon to Falmouth with a load of wheat. Wagenfürh's score is now 3 ships and 8,394 tons.

Gulf of Bothnia:
Finnish freighter SS Ariel, 533 tons, founders in an ice floe.

Bay of Biscay:
Georg Günther von Forstner, in U-28, torpedoes British freighter SS Trewyn, 3,084 tons, carrying a load of iron ore from Algiers to Middlesbrough. In British records Trewyn was listed as missing, having passed Gibraltar five days earlier and not being seen again.

The same day von Forstner stops and scuttles French brigantine SV St. Hubert, 232 tons, en route from Lisbon to Saint-Malo with a load of wine and salt. These two sinkings bring von Forstner's score to 23 ships and 54,225 tons.

Black Sea:
Konrad Gansser, in U-33, torpedoes French/Russian hospital ship SS Portugal, 5,358 tons, off northern Turkey. His score is now 44 ships and 120,606 tons.

Ionian Sea:
Rudolf Singule, in Austrian U-4, sinks British schooner SV John Pritchard, 118 tons, travelling in ballast from Patras to Caravassera. Singule's score is now 6 ships and 7,837 tons.

Indian Ocean:
HMFA Trent, towing monitor HMS Mersey, encounters a heavy storm. Mersey's crew are safe, all being aboard Trent, but the monitor itself is described as "...shipping seas and tumbling about considerably".

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 04-18-16 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-31-16, 07:37 AM   #1437
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

31st March 1916

Western Front

Battle of Verdun: French evacuate Malancourt and positions between Haucourt and Bethincourt.

Russians defeat Turks at Kara Malachkan (Armenia).

Aviation

Zeppelin raid on east coast: one Zeppelin destroyed; 48 killed, 64 injured.

Political, etc.

Britain calls out nine groups of married men age 27 to 35 to join the colours on May 5th.

McKenna, Chancellor of the Exchequer, proposes expanding taxes to include theatre receipts and advertisements to finance the war.

Army Council takes over hay and straw.

Mr. Asquith in Rome.

French Finance Minister Ribot announces a new loan to finance the war: “France again will respond…because she wants to win & will win.”

Ship Losses:

Achilles (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 90 nautical miles (170 km) west north west of Ouessant, Finistère, France by SM U-44 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of five crew.
Alacrity (United Kingdom) The ship was torpedoed and sunk in the North Sea off Southwold, Suffolk by SM UB-13 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of all fourteen crew.
Clinton (United Kingdom) The cargo ship struck a mine laid by UC 5 (Ulrich Mohrbutter) and was damaged in the North Sea 1.5 nautical miles (2.8 km) south east of Pakefield, Suffolk (52°26′N 1°49′E). She was beached but was later refloated, repaired and returned to service.
Egeo (Italy) The cargo ship was sunk in the Gulf of Taranto 20 nautical miles (37 km) off Punta Alice (39°39′N 17°18′E) by SM U-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Goldmouth (United Kingdom) The tanker was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 60 nautical miles (110 km) west north west of Ouessant by SM U-44 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived, but her captain was taken as a prisoner of war.
Hans Guide (Norway) The cargo ship was sunk on the Atlantic Ocean 55 nautical miles (102 km) west by north of Ouessant by SM U-44 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Hollandia (Sweden) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the North Sea near the Galloper Lightship ( United Kingdom) by SM UB-6 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Memento (Norway) The cargo ship struck a mine laid by UC 5 (Ulrich Mohrbutter) and sank in the North Sea 1.5 nautical miles (2.8 km) south east of Pakefield (52°26′N 1°49′E) with the loss of a crew member.
Rangatira (United Kingdom) The liner ran aground on Robben Island, South Africa and was wrecked.
Riposto (Italy) The cargo ship was sunk in the Gulf of Taranto off Crotone (39°30′N 17°36′E) by SM U-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Vigo (Spain) The cargo ship was sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 100 nautical miles (190 km) off Ouessant (47°10′N 7°54′W) by SM U-28 ( Kaiserliche Marine).

MERCHANT SHIPPING
British, Allied and Neutral ships lost to enemy submarines, mines and cruisers etc in the month - 69 ships of 165,000 tons gross. (Lloyd's War Losses).

Old 03-31-16, 12:01 PM   #1438
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

March 31, 1916:

Air War:
French pilot Albert Deullin, flying a Nieuport 10, wins a duel with a Fokker Eindecker for victory number 3.

German pilot Bruno Loerzer, in a Fokker E.III, shoots down an "Enemy Aircraft" for victory number 2.

Russian pilot Eduard Pulpe, in an unnamed Nieuport, shoots down a two-seater for kill number 4.

Celtic Sea:
Paul Wagenführ, commanding U-44, sinks British freighter SS Achilles, 7,043 tons, bound from Sydney to Liverpool with a load of grain and wool; tanker SS Goldmouth, 7,446 tons, carrying a load of fuel oil from Tarakar to Falmouth; and Norwegian freighter SS Hans Gude, 1,110 tons, travelling from Cardiff to Oran with a load of coal. This brings his total to 6 ships and 23,993 tons.

North Sea:
Ernst Voigt, in UB-6, torpedoes Swedish freighter Hollandia, 1,115 tons, travelling in ballast from Rouen to Rotterdam, while the ship is anchored near the Galloper Light Vessel. Voight's score is now 2 ships and 1,172 tons.

Arthur Metz, in UB-13, torpedoes British freighter SS Alacrity, 1,080 tons, travelling in ballast from Le-Havre to Seaham. Metz's score is now 2 ships and 14,991 tons.

British freighters SS Clinton, 3,381 tons, carrying manganese ore and grain from Bombay, and SS Memento, 1,076 tons, carrying a load of coke from London to Porsgrunn, both hit mines laid by Ulrich Mohrbutter in UC-5. Clinton is later salvaged. Memento sinks, bringing Mohrbutter's score to 7 ships and 10,272 tons.

Bay of Biscay:
Georg-Günther von Forstner, in U-28, sinks Spanish freighter SS Vigo, 1,137 tons, carrying a load of pitwood from Freijo to Cardiff. His score is now 24 ships and 55,362 tons.

At 0700 hours French fishing boat Rédempteur, 36 tons. hauls a mine into their nets. The crew take their lifeboat to another fishing smack, Clementine, which takes them to shore. At about 1000 hours the boat apparently comes into contact with the mine, which explodes, completely demolishing the smack.

Black Sea:
Konrad Gansser, in U-33, shells Belgian freighter SS Roi Albert, 2,853 tons, near Sukhumi, Georgia. The damaged ship manages to escape. Later that day Gansser stops and scuttles a small sailing vessel. The name of the boat is unknown, but it is credited at 7 tons, which raises Gansser's total to 45 vessels and 120,613 tons.

Balearic Sea:
Greek schooner SV Eutichia, 385 tons, travelling from Arzew to St. Loius Du Rhône with a load of salt and coal, is wrecked at Casa de Alcanar, Spain.

Ionian Sea:
Walter Forstmann, in U-39, sinks Italian freighters SS Egeo, 1,787 tons, and Riposto, 1,003 tons, in the Gulf of Taranto, bringing his score to 46 ships and 112,138 tons.

Adriatic Sea:
Austrian freighter SS Andrassy, 1,546 tons, converted to a minelayer, hits one of the mines she has just laid and sinks at San Giovanni di Medua (modern Shëngjin, Albania).

Indian Ocean:
With the weather much calmer, Fleet Auxiliary Trent stops and a boat is sent to HMS Mersey. To their relief they find that the monitor has shipped very little water in the previous day's storm. The boat returns and the ships are underway again.

Japan:
Japanese coaster Wakatsu Maru, 183 tons, carrying a general cargo from Fukuye to Nagasaki, is wrecked off Kabashima.

Hong Kong:
Japanese passenger liner Chiyo Maru, 13,431 tons, runs aground at Lima Island (Tam Kan). Crew and passengers are safely evacuated. Several days later the ship breaks in two and is lost.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 08-03-16 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Added Eduard Pulpe
Old 04-01-16, 06:20 AM   #1439
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

1st April 1916

Western Front

Battle of Verdun: Germans capture part of Vaux village.

Political, etc.

M. Denys Cochin appointed Minister in charge of blockade in France.

Decline of unrest in Holland.

King George presents £100,000 for war purposes.

U.S. National Association of Clothiers warns consumers that suits might fade more easily due to the war causing shortages in dyes.

Ship Losses:

Ashburton (United Kingdom) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 80 nautical miles (150 km) west north west of Ouessant, Finistère, France by SM U-44 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Bengairn (United Kingdom) The four-masted barque was shelled and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean 165 nautical miles (306 km) south west of the Fastnet Rock by SM U-28 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her 26 crew survived.
Perth (United Kingdom) The coaster was torpedoed and sunk in the North Sea 1 nautical mile (1.9 km) south east by east of the Cross Sand Lightship ( United Kingdom) by a Kaiserliche Marine submarine with the loss of six of her crew.[2]
Peter Hamre Norway World War I: The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the North Sea 2 nautical miles (3.7 km) off the Kentish Knock Lightship by SM UB-10 ( Kaiserliche Marine) with the loss of fourteen of her crew.

Old 04-01-16, 10:04 AM   #1440
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

April 1, 1916:

The exact date doesn't seem to be available, but sometime in April test-pilot Maurice Bequet takes the prototype SPAD S.5 for its first test flights. This will lead to the development of the SPAD S.7, one of the great fighters of the war.

Air War:
German pilot Heinrich Arntzen, flying a two-seater with an unnamed observer, is credited with an "Enemy Aircraft", for his first victory. He is said to have three more in 1916, but details are lacking.

German pilot Rudolf Berthold, in a Fokker E.III, shoots down a Farman two-seater for victory number 4.

French pilot Lucien Jailler, in a Nieuport 10 or 11, shoots down an LVG two-seater for victory number 2.

French pilot Hugues de Rochefort and observer Jean Jacques Perrin, in Nieuport 10 640, claim an LVG, but it is unconfirmed.

English Channel:
Georg-Günther von Forstner, commanding U-28, stops and sinks British barque SV Bengairn, 2,127 tons, bound from Seattle to Queenstown with a load of wheat. This is von Forstner's last sinking. He becomes a senior officer and retires with a score of 25 ships and 57,489 tons.

Paul Wagenführ, in U-44, sinks British freighter SS Ashburton, 4,445 tons, at the end of a long voyage from Wellington via Montevideo to London with a general cargo, mostly wool. Wagenführ's score is now 7 ships and 28,438 tons.

North Sea:
Reinhold Saltzwedel, in UB-10, torpedoes Norwegian freighter SS Peter Hamre, 1,081 tons, carrying a load of pig iron from Middlesbrough to Rouen. his score is now 2 ships and 2,825 tons.

Hans Valentiner, in UB-16, sinks British freighter SS Perth, 653 tons, travelling in ballast from Fécamp to Hull. Valentiner's score is now 16 ships and 10,812 tons

Black Sea:
Russian submarine Tjulen sinks Turkish merchant SS Dutor, 4,232 tons, off Sile, near the passage from the Black Sea to the Sea of Marmara.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 04-16-16 at 12:17 PM.