SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-03-12, 10:55 AM   #1411
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 155
Uploads: 0

to you both GAP and CALIES for the pictures

"Better watch where you do not go, because where were going, we will know what it is when we get there, and anyway, it will never be only water."

Proverbe Shadok
BIGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 06:45 PM   #1412
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Added the ability for the file's Sentinel to create additional mesh subsets. Currently I can add subsets to a mesh from Sentinel's command line window. Adding the ability for these additional subsets to be created when importing OBJ files into a mesh now (if needed)

The ability to delete mesh subsets I'm still thinking about. I have to come up with the correct algorithm first then I can implement it code wise.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 06:48 PM   #1413
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Great TDW

"Better watch where you do not go, because where were going, we will know what it is when we get there, and anyway, it will never be only water."

Proverbe Shadok
Old 06-05-12, 11:49 PM   #1414
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREG View Post
Which would be fine too, is the possibility of adding materials to the meshes/subsets
While finishing up with the new code for the second importer that lets you import OBJ data that has more subsets than the original mesh I finally realized what you were asking

I exported the CT_Table from Room_CT. Opened up the OBJ file and copied the face data thus making another subset (_subset1). Imported it back in and everything worked correctly (2 subsets now instead of 1)

In the GR2 file format the PrimaryTopologyGroups (aka mesh subsets) have a material index property. This material index property references the material for the subset from the mesh's material bindings. Here's where I was getting tripped up! I totally forgot about these material bindings! I'm adding code that will let you add material bindings to a mesh so that each subset of the mesh could be assigned a seperate material

After that I'm going to write the code to remove mesh subsets and remove materials from the mesh's material bindings.

EDIT:

ability to add material bindings to meshes has been coded in and is working. Have to change the code for the meshes treeview now to reflect this change.

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 06-06-12 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-06-12, 04:02 AM   #1415
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Hi TDW

Super cool

I eagerly await the next version

Proverbe Shadok
Old 06-06-12, 11:41 AM   #1416
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Made some changes to the mesh's treeview context menus:

If you right click on the mesh name you'll see:

Edit
Rename
-------
View material bindings
Add material to material bindings

if you right click on the mesh subset's material you'll see:

-------
Select new Material from material bindings

if you right click on the mesh's subset's material entries there is an additional command: Reload. This will reload the texture from the file.

This now let's you assign more materials to a mesh's material bindings. This is turn lets you assign different materials to each of the mesh's subsets.

The material and texture treeviews also get this Reload command so the texture can be reloaded.

I know someone is going to ask "What's with this Reload thing?". It's quite simple: say you spot a defect or you change the texture in Photoshop or some other app and you want to see the change now. Reload will let you do this. Before you had to close the current GR2 file and then reopen it.

Adding the code for removing material bindings from a mesh and for deleting mesh subsets now
Old 06-06-12, 04:26 PM   #1417
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Ok i am ready for test

Ps: At the moment I arrange my files a bit (a lot of new 3D objects , textures .....)

Proverbe Shadok
Old 06-06-12, 06:03 PM   #1418
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Ok i am ready for test

Ps: At the moment I arrange my files a bit (a lot of new 3D objects , textures .....)
Finished coding the removal of material bindings. Working on the removal of mesh subsets now. All the treeview context menus have been updated.

@BIGREG and Tomi99 - test away! Be safe - BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFORE SAVING WITH THE APP!
Old 06-06-12, 07:01 PM   #1419
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Work great TDW

Next step: Import new meshes (not subsets) in order to connect to a bone
I think that it is not possible with subsets

eg: To adding meshes -> new bone created -> add/attach a mesh or if possible subsets

Proverbe Shadok
Old 06-06-12, 07:08 PM   #1420
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Work great TDW

Next step: Import new meshes (not subsets) in order to connect to a bone
I think that it is not possible with subsets

eg: To adding meshes -> new bone created -> add/attach a mesh or if possible subsets

I'm testing the removal of mesh subsets now If all goes well a new version will be coming your way!

With the ability to import variable geometry and subsets you can mimmick new meshes. Pick a mesh and import whatever you want into it. You basically just made a new mesh. All I have to do is give you the ability to delete meshes then you can take a GR2 file and use it as a shell. Hollow out the shell by deleting the meshes you don't need and import your geometry into the meshes you do need (do the same for textures and materials) and voila - you have new GR2 file

I don't understand what you're asking here: eg: To adding meshes -> new bone created -> add/attach a mesh or if possible subsets
Old 06-06-12, 07:16 PM   #1421
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

I want to animate objects as: news TDC knobs/wheels,torpedo doors knobs,coffee in tasse, lights indicators(with to faces red/green or white) etc....
and for that i need the ability to attach a bone of a mesh/subset

Proverbe Shadok

Last edited by BIGREG; 06-06-12 at 07:19 PM. Reason: a
Old 06-06-12, 07:25 PM   #1422
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
I want to animate objects as: news TDC knobs/wheels,torpedo doors knobs,coffee in tasse, lights indicators(with to faces red/green or white) etc....
and for that i need the ability to attach a bone of a mesh/subset
Each mesh is already setup to a bone (it's called a bone binding). The bone with the same name as the mesh is it's bone binding (that's how SH5 is setup). You can assign any bone(s) to a mesh though I do not currently give you the ability to change the mesh's bone binding(s).
Old 06-06-12, 07:31 PM   #1423
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

and do you think is possible to bind a bone of a subset

Proverbe Shadok
Old 06-06-12, 07:32 PM   #1424
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
and do you think is possible
What? To change the bone binding of the mesh? Sure it's possible. I just have to code it
Old 06-06-12, 07:35 PM   #1425
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

not change ,that bring nothing,But binding a bone with a subset other the ability to change subset into a mesh

Eg : the torpedo door panel in CT ,i can cut the knobs and make subsets ,but to animate them with the .sim i need bones to each subsets

Proverbe Shadok