Old 12-08-10, 01:09 AM   #121
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
School uniforms do kill individuality.
Not at all, anymore than military uniforms or pilots' uniforms. I attended a private shool for awhile, and some of us were highly individualistic. It's not the clothes that make an individual.

You are too young to understand this, yet you think that young teens should be given full adult rights?
Old 12-08-10, 01:42 AM   #122
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I looked at the Teenagist website, and I've changed my mind. Everyone should be declared an adult at age thirteen. Additionally, everyone should have to move out of their parents' house, get a job and act like an adult at age thirteen.

Good luck with that.
Old 12-08-10, 03:02 AM   #123
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I looked at the Teenagist website, and I've changed my mind. Everyone should be declared an adult at age thirteen. Additionally, everyone should have to move out of their parents' house, get a job and act like an adult at age thirteen.

Good luck with that.
I was just thinking that!
Why is that teens want all the benefits of adults, but dont want to accept the consequences?
They want to change the legal age of drinking to 18 - OK, but lets then in return change the legal age for driving to 20...give and take

Quote:
Come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever properly introduced myself.

I'm Frau Kaleun, and I frequent places like Subsim and my cubicle at work and the local martial arts dojo. I'm also the founder of a new political party, the Frau Kaleun Hits People Over The Head With An Angry Wombat Party.

Our platform is simple and to the point: we advocate the legalization of Frau Kaleun hitting people over the head with an angry wombat.

Now, I'm not saying I would ever hit anyone over the head with an angry wombat. I certainly do not view the act of hitting people over the head with ill-tempered Australian mammals in a favorable light. However I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to pursue the kinds of relationships where other people might find themselves getting hit over the head in that fashion, provided the other people involved are the kinds of people whose noggins appear worthy (to me) of a good hard smack with a small marsupial who is already having a really bad day. All I want is to give other people the freedom to be hit over the head with an angry wombat, by me, should they choose to engage in that activity.

I'm Frau Kaleun, and I approved the hitting of this post over the head with an angry wombat.
Frau - excellent post! If I dont have wombats around, can I use a chicken?

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
Old 12-08-10, 04:29 AM   #124
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 92

do you guys really think that this guy is for real?
the only proof that he or his party exists being a post in some crappy forum?
I thought that you were smarter than this...

I think it's just a made-up internet personality from a well-known troll
Old 12-08-10, 04:36 AM   #125
I-25
Commodore

Downloads: 24

i admit i'm lol'ing my arse off reading the thread but dam man your crossing the line, talk about immature behavior, this is why teens aren't allowed to vote, i mean hell i was raised in Mexico and 18 is the legal age for everything there, i personality think the 21 YO limit on the states is a little over doing it, but 13? come on man!
I'd expect more from a political activist than trolling.
and school uniforms? jesus... how's that affect "individuality".
from preschool to high school i used uniforms and loved it, give's a sense of oldschool pride in a modern world (not to mention girls in school uniforms are like Ohh yeaaa)
and you say you wanna be a high school counselor to help people?
well... help people! don't go around inciting more crap.
i'd never wanna have my kids (if i ever have any) to be counseled by someone like you.
look man i'm a 22yo guy that lived my teen years to the max and hell to me their not over yet, teen rights are just about right as they are, i ain't against you for being emo or whatever i have plenty of emo friends (real emos... i know goths are completely something else)

your right knowledge is power, but use it, don't abuse it.

Edit: penguin's probably got a point...
Old 12-08-10, 08:50 AM   #126
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-25 View Post
and you say you wanna be a high school counselor to help people
Well, how else is he gonna keep meeting all those hot teenagers? Skulking around the edges of the school grounds at recess is so overrated.
Old 12-08-10, 08:54 AM   #127
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeck View Post
Frau - excellent post! If I dont have wombats around, can I use a chicken?
Politics sure is a dirty business. The Frau Kaleun Hits People Over The Head With An Angry Wombat Party has existed for less than 24 hours and already a movement is afoot to undermine party unity.

I blame the vast chicken wing conspiracy.
Old 12-08-10, 08:55 AM   #128
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post

I think it's just a made-up internet personality from a well-known troll
View Public Profile > User Lists > Add to Ignore List

I'm just here for the lulz.
Old 12-08-10, 09:25 AM   #129
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 92

Fight the mistreatment of wombats through the The-Frau-Kaleun-Hits-People-Over-The-Head-With-An-Angry-Wombat-Party!

Join the We-Hit-The-Frau-Kaleun-Hits-People-Over-The-Head-With-An-Angry-Wombat-Party-Members-Who-Are-Mean-To-Wombats-With-Stuffed-Pandas-Covered-In-Chocolate-Sauce-Movement!

You'll also get voting rights in every second year when your age is uneven, so 13 (and15) year-olds can vote here!

At least we have a common enemy in these damned chicken wings! We shall exterminate them first, then go on!
Old 12-08-10, 09:38 AM   #130
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
School uniforms do kill individuality.
Good. Kids in school don't need individuality. They need to learn. You don't need individuality to get good grades. Besides, I went to a high school where we wore uniforms and nobody had any problems expressing who they were.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
Old 12-08-10, 09:40 AM   #131
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
Good. Kids in school don't need individuality. They need to learn. You don't need individuality to get good grades. Besides, I went to a high school where we wore uniforms and nobody had any problems expressing who they were.
Seriously. I have no idea where people came up with the idea that education was a fashion contest.
Old 12-08-10, 09:56 AM   #132
Radtgaeb
Frogman

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
This. So Much this.

Even for being one of the "younger" members of subsim at 20, I completely agree with this. In fact, uniforms would be a great boon to education anywhere, it eliminates another arm of the "class system" that has been mentioned to exist in schools. It's not about creating fascists, it's about improving performance and enhancing focus.
Old 12-08-10, 10:01 AM   #133
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

You know you would think that with the sheer amount of copy/paste jobs you do on internet forums, you would get the clue that maybe people are going to take you for a troll that has nothing better to do in life.

This just in, Google "teenagist" and all you get is this guys forum spam around the internet. Methinks you won't last long here.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
Old 12-08-10, 10:43 AM   #134
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
That reminds me of a conversation The Frau and I had with her daughter who was in highschool at the time.

Every year, in Virginia, the topic of school uniforms comes up. Her daughter was absolutely against it. Wearing a uniform would stifle her individuality.

I told her that she currently wears a school uniform.

"No I don't!!"

Yes, you do. You wear exactly what your peer group wears and nothing else. The colour, style and brand name must match what all your friends wear. When you peer group changes how they dress, you follow theirs lead and change also. Where is the individuality when you wear only what your peer group wants you to wear?

She then tried to explain that they are all acting as individuals.... together.
It's not necessarily about "individuality" per se, but more about connecting yourself to a certain group, as you say. However, your daughter is also right in that a group as a whole can often want to be "individual": independent and clearly distinguishable.
Me myself, I'm a metalhead. Metalheads have a pretty distinct culture, with different clothing, hair and even behaviour codes. Being forced to wear a uniform would severely limit the possibility for me to affirm my membership to this group.

BTW, what is the advantage of school uniforms? I can't think of any.

Old 12-08-10, 10:54 AM   #135
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFish View Post
BTW, what is the advantage of school uniforms? I can't think of any.
So everybody is equal, nobody gets picked on (in school) for not having the latest trainers (sneakers to the merry-cans ) or clothes. It doesn't always work but it's a good starter.

My wife is a teacher at my old school, where uniform didn't really get a look in after your first year - now they all have exactly the same, there is a fund for the less well-off kids (most of them, it's a very deprived area!). Aside from the uniform the school has returned to a house-system with hard fought competitions. Because of these two things, and a few smaller adjustments, the school now has a waiting list where just five years ago it was very much not a popular school to be at!

Pupils are allowed to be individuals - for the 75% of the week they're not in school, plus the 14/15 weeks holiday they get per year. Kids need discipline and structure and uniform is just one part of that.

Oh, look at me being all serious for a change!