SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-16-13, 10:21 AM   #1276
Crécy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 316
Uploads: 0

Now reading Antony Beevor's The Second World War and Kari Kallonen's Sinivihreät Baretit (Bluegreen Berets)

I was shocked to realize the amount of atrocities conducted especially against civilian girls and women. I knew rapes happened a lot but the magnitude of them took me off guard. For example Red Army's Berlin operation alone, estimated by Berlin's main hospitals, led to 95 000-130 000 raped women and most of them had experienced violence multiple times. All in all it is estimated that around two million girl and women were raped on Germany's soil during the Red Army's advance. And the rapes of course didn't stop when the war did.

A quote from Beevor's book:
Quote:
Natalya Gesse, a close friend of the scientist Andrei Sakharov, had observed the Red Army in action in 1945 as a Soviet war correspondent. "The Russian soldiers were raping every German female from eight to eighty," she recounted later. "It was an army of rapists."
Japan forced hundreds of thousands of girls from Korea, China and other places under Japan's occupation to 'comfort corps'. Not forgetting the countless of rapes during assaults. Nanjing for example.

Probably doesn't even have to mention the horrendous actions of the Germans. Rapes occurred on the allied side as well naturally, but certainly not in this scale.

Kallonen's book is about Finnish men who served in Korea and Vietnam. Very interesting read. For example I didn't have any idea how closely Finnish immigrants were involved with the American history (which he explains in the opening chapter). For example when voting whether North America should declare independence, the vote went even and the decisive vote was given by a man of Finnish heritage named John Morton who came in late due to being sick. Another interesting point was that the United States' first President (of congress), John Hanson, has also Finnish heritage. And naturally there's a story of the legendary Larry Thorne.
Old 07-16-13, 10:47 AM   #1277
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Nice mini-review. It's good when people talk about the books they're reading.
Old 07-19-13, 09:15 AM   #1278
kranz
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

Just received my order:
I. Kershaw - The End. The Defiance and Deconstruction of Hitler's Germany, 1944-1945
Ch. Bishop - Hitler's Foreign Divisions
Hart - Weapons and Fighting Tactics of the Waffen-SS
kranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 05:55 PM   #1279
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Reading Friedman's US Battleships : An Illustrated Design History at the moment. I've been re-reading his books recently, because I tend to miss a lot of little things the first time through.

Ever notice how most turn-of-the-century battleships had their secondary batteries bunched in the middle of the ship, usually one deck below the main deck? The casemate armor had the "bonus" role of bursting armor-piercing shells, the thin protective plating on the boiler uptakes preventing any shell splinters from piercing the uptakes.

I'd hate to be the naval architect who had to explain to the gun crews that they were basically bullet sponges who were there to keep smoke coming up through the funnels.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 07:51 AM   #1280
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Second time of reading...the IJN fascinates me atm.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-13, 05:30 AM   #1281
fastbikkel
Mate

Downloads: 11

Fire In The Sky: The Air War In The South Pacific

Eric M Bergerud (Author)

Great book about the air war in the pacific. But not just the fighting, but a lot of details about planning, infrastructure. The mistakes the japanese made about consolidating their newly conquered islands, defense lacking.
Their lack of good maintenance, which resulted in fewer aircraft ready to fight the allies.
But also how they underestimated the allies and especially the "eager for revenge" americans.
This book goes further than just focussing on the actual airbattle.
Old 07-25-13, 08:22 AM   #1282
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
The Nuremberg SS-Einsatzgruppen Trial, 1945-1958
Atrocity, Law, And History
By Hillary Earl
Just finished reading this one, apart from one long winded chapter a very good read. I was amazed on the last chapters what happen after the NMT handed out the sentences and how most got off with light recommendations, even the cold war had a effect on the out come!

Start reading tonight..

THE SS ON TRIAL
Evidence from Nuremberg

Illustrated Edition, Edited and Introduced by Bob Carruthers

This one is more of Q&A book of the trail, see how it goes.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-13, 08:53 PM   #1283
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

If you like Civil War era history as I do

"The Hairstons - The American Family in Black and White"

The Hairstons were probably the richest family in the US during the civil war. They owned dozens of plantations and possibly 14,000 slaves. Many of the plantations and old ruins are near me and I've spent hours finding the old ruins. Many of the slaves took on the Hairston name. The book explores both black and white families to this date, talking about slavery, and issues since. Also deals with the issue of mixed race, when masters slept with the slaves and the offspring since.

One of the famous black Hairton's was Jester Hairton. starred in Amo's and Andy and was Jim Bowie's slave in the John Wayne Alamo movie.

The family had many relatives by marriage in the CW, such as JeB Stuart.

The book covers the plantation age, slavery and many issues since slavery to this today, including some rift that exist between the black and white Hairstons to this day.

I've met several Hairston, just make sure when addressing white Hairstons, you pronounce it Harston, the blacks, say it like it sounds.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-13, 01:58 PM   #1284
Crécy
Grey Wolf

Almost have read another Antony Beevor's book, Crete: The Battle and The Resistance

As the name suggests it covers the invasion of Crete and the resistance (as well as the political atmosphere) after the occupation. It explains quite well what were the key ingredients which led to allied defeat. In the very first day Germans suffered massive casualties and didn't reach any of the given objectives for the first day. The battle could have been a phenomenal allied victory but misunderstandings, leaders' hesitation and bad communications in the end denied the victory.

The resistance portion feels a bit unorganized. I seem to be unable to grasp a good chronological picture of the key aspects of the resistance. Well, underground resistance usually is a puzzle of many pieces and perhaps it can't be explained like some carefully orchestrated offensives. But at least for me it didn't answer all the questions I had. What was the true purpose of the British officers sent to the island? What was their plan? What were they supposed to do there? Answers to these questions are rather given in fragmented stories of their (British officers') adventures. In my opinion Beevor doesn't explain in detail the job of the British officers sent there.

But the book is a good read and certainly gives you a clear picture of the invasion of Crete.

Having read three (well almost) of Antony Beevor's books: The Second World War, D-Day: The Battle for Normandy and this Crete book, I would recommend his books. They are well written and most importantly he keeps you interested. On the same subject Aabad writer can bore you while a good writer can prevent you from putting the book down. Antony Beevor certainly leans to the latter. He has written at least two more books than mentioned: Stalingrad and Berlin: The Downfall 1945 which I'll definitely read at some point.

Now, if I only would find a way to actually remember something I've read...

Last edited by Crécy; 07-30-13 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Clearing a sentence. Mayhaps and hopefully.
Crécy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-13, 03:59 PM   #1285
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crécy View Post
Almost have read another Antony Beevor's book, Crete: The Battle and The Resistance

As the name suggests it covers the invasion of Crete and the resistance (as well as the political atmosphere) after the occupation. It explains quite well what were the key ingredients which led to allied defeat. In the very first day Germans suffered massive casualties and didn't reach any of the given objectives for the first day. The battle could have been a phenomenal allied victory but misunderstandings, leaders' hesitation and bad communications in the end denied the victory.

The resistance portion feels a bit unorganized. I seem to be unable to grasp a good chronological picture of the key aspects of the resistance. Well, underground resistance usually is a puzzle of many pieces and perhaps it can't be explained like some carefully orchestrated offensives. But at least for me it didn't answer all the questions I had. What was the true purpose of the British officers sent to the island? What was their plan? What were they supposed to do there? Answers to these questions are rather given in fragmented stories of their adventures. In my opinion Beevor doesn't explain in detail the job of the British officers sent there.

But the book is a good read and certainly gives you a clear picture of the invasion of Crete.
Must read that book one day.

Old 07-30-13, 04:58 PM   #1286
Crécy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Must read that book one day.
If you have any interest on the subject I'd say you can't go wrong with this book. For example I have never had much interest on the the invasion of Greece (or knowledge for that matter which might be the reason) but this book was fascinating.

One bothering thing I forgot to say about Beevor's style is that when he writes foreign language (for example when quoting someone) he doesn't translate it, just presumes reader speaks German or French or whatever he's writing. At least I'd like to know what those sentences mean.
Old 07-31-13, 09:29 AM   #1287
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Another I'm about to read again.

Old 08-04-13, 03:36 PM   #1288
Sepp von Ch.
Sea Lord

Downloads: 788

Reading my newest book Kai Winkler´s Die Gästebücher der 4. U-Flotille

Splendid and "different" book about german WWII submarines!

And the newest monograph from Kagero about U-Boat type II

Last edited by Sepp von Ch.; 08-04-13 at 03:56 PM.
Sepp von Ch. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-13, 03:44 PM   #1289
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Going to start Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell.

Highly respect the man...Hear the book is great...and I hope the movie is going to be good too.
Old 08-05-13, 05:03 PM   #1290
mako88sb
XO

Downloads: 0

I just found out about the Apollo mission reports that are available from Apogee books. Started off with the two volumes that cover Apollo 12. Lots of great info such as anomaly reports and how they were resolved. They both come with cd's full of pictures and broadcasts:

mako88sb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books