Closed Thread

Old 09-09-20, 09:10 AM   #12826
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post

In common most of them was negative to UK and their demands.
Ask them what exactly it is that the UK are 'demanding'

As far as I'm aware the UK is trying to negotiate a free trade agreement.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 09-09-20, 01:44 PM   #12827
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Let's say I would not want to be in BJ's shoes.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 09-09-20, 02:06 PM   #12828
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Let's say I would not want to be in BJ's shoes.
Oh I'm not sure about that....he's always been lucky with the women

Old 09-09-20, 02:27 PM   #12829
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Ask them what exactly it is that the UK are 'demanding'

As far as I'm aware the UK is trying to negotiate a free trade agreement.
I'm not so active on FB anymore...I use to give a like a lol a angry a.s.o now and then...it happens I write a comment on a friends wall on his/her bulletin

Mostly I just scroll and scroll and scroll and it happens a friend have written something I read

And it was in one of these I read how one of my Pro-EU friends had written a negative UK bulletin. His friends supported him-which is normal -we seek those friends who agree with you.

If it should return again when I'm scrolling I will put forward your question.

Markus
mapuc is online  
Old 09-10-20, 05:21 AM   #12830
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hmm quality is so bad .. why? The original is well readable, and it is not resized by Imgur

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 09-10-20 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-10-20, 08:29 AM   #12831
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The EU says it has "serious concerns" about UK moves to override key parts of the Brexit divorce deal.

EU official Maros Sefcovic was speaking ahead of emergency talks with Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove on how the changes could affect Northern Ireland.

The government says it is trying to protect the UK's internal market and the Northern Ireland peace process.

Meanwhile, trade talks between the UK's Brexit negotiator Lord Frost and his EU counterpart Michel Barnier continue.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54097320

Old 09-10-20, 01:44 PM   #12832
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The EU has directed a clear ultimatum at the UK to move back on its threat to break international law by unilaterally rewriting the withdraw agreement. It was also said that the EU will also seek legal actions against the UK in that case.

Pelosi has issued a warning as well, saying ni deal with the US will pass Congress if UK does violate the agreements that led to the peace deal in Northern Ireland. ""If the UK violates that international treaty and Brexit undermines the Good Friday accord, there will be absolutely no chance of a US-UK trade agreement passing the Congress,"Pelosi said.

Johnson must have stopped thinking serious. That the Americans would not play ball with his stunt, was relatively foreseeable. Trump cannot decide this alone.

I must aggree with both the EU and Pelosi on this. If it was a stupid withdraw agreement, then it shouldnt have been signed. But treaties must be honoured, else the signing side breaking them proves that it makes no sense to negotiate any further treaties with them. And so, nobody will.
Old 09-10-20, 01:55 PM   #12833
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I'm sure scenarios like this one were thought up by the Whitehall mandarins months ago, Bozo has caught the EU with its pants down, as far as he's concerned everything is going to plan.

Threatening to take the British government to court smacks of desperation on the EU's side as far as I'm concerned, didn't they do any risk assessment studies like this one because if they had they would have had a ready made answer for Bozo.
Old 09-10-20, 03:54 PM   #12834
Skybird
Soaring

I cannot see the eU this time beign caught with pants down. I think Johnson simply overplays his card this time. And the warning from the US congress, supported not just by the Democrats majoprity there, but also by many diplomats, also speaks a clear languare. The world looks and see the UK not sticking to its treatiesa. So tell me - why woudl anyone then care anymore to negotiate a trade ahgreement with the UK if it may or may not stick to it anyway, may or may not honour it streaty obligations?

If it smells of despair, then on sid eof Drowning Street this time. maybe they see how Corona is turning their fiscal plans for Brexit into pig'S breakfast, and wnat to generate more income by uniliaterally chnaging parts of the withdrawel agreement, since what they want to delete touches on customs - but they can do so only at the price of ther world not caring to negotiate any deals with them anymore.

Nobody "trusts" somebody who cheats treaties this openly. Johnson shows that treaties with the UK are worth nothing anymore. And that will cost the UK dearly and will show to be Johnson's biggest mistake ever, if he does it indeed.

And the trade deal with the US will not happen, too. Congress needs to approve such a deal, right? And its also not certain that Trump will win for the WH.

Edit:

Die Welt writes:

Quote:
The British Prime Minister broke the law - even before the law was passed in the British Parliament. At least that's the analysis of the EU Commission's lawyers. The exit agreement, which Johnson wants to relativize with his legislative initiative, has been in force since February 1st. Since then, "neither side has been allowed to unilaterally change, clarify, supplement, interpret or not use the text," says the EU legal opinion, according to the Irish broadcaster RTE. The Brussels authority can therefore immediately initiate proceedings against the British before the European Court of Justice, which could result in a fine or the suspension of parts of the exit agreement and the - still to be negotiated - free trade agreement.

The British government even shares this legal opinion. Northern Ireland Minister Brandon Lewis admitted in the House of Commons that "the law violates international law in a very specific and limited way." Previously, the Chief Justice Department official, Jonathan Jones, resigned immediately after the draft became known. Officially, he did not give any reasons. According to consistent media reports, Jones considered remaining in office in view of the violation of the law by his government as impossible.
Pacta sunt servanda. If you sign stupid treaties, that's your fault then.

Last edited by Skybird; 09-10-20 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-11-20, 04:53 AM   #12835
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The EU has directed a clear ultimatum at the UK to move back on its threat to break international law by unilaterally rewriting the withdraw agreement. It was also said that the EU will also seek legal actions against the UK in that case.

Pelosi has issued a warning as well, saying ni deal with the US will pass Congress if UK does violate the agreements that led to the peace deal in Northern Ireland. ""If the UK violates that international treaty and Brexit undermines the Good Friday accord, there will be absolutely no chance of a US-UK trade agreement passing the Congress,"Pelosi said.

Johnson must have stopped thinking serious. That the Americans would not play ball with his stunt, was relatively foreseeable. Trump cannot decide this alone.

I must aggree with both the EU and Pelosi on this. If it was a stupid withdraw agreement, then it shouldnt have been signed. But treaties must be honoured, else the signing side breaking them proves that it makes no sense to negotiate any further treaties with them. And so, nobody will.
Not about to start arguing with you on the subject matter but hasn't much of the world forgiven your country for all the treaties that have been broken over the past hundred years or so?

Old 09-11-20, 04:55 AM   #12836
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
The UK has struck its first major post-Brexit trade deal after signing an agreement in principle with Japan which aims to boost trade by about £15bn.

International Trade Secretary Liz Truss said it was an "historic moment" for the two countries.

She said it would bring "new wins" for British businesses in manufacturing, food and drink, and tech industries.

However, critics say such deals will not replace trade likely to be lost if the UK cannot agree a deal with the EU.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54116606
A positive start nevertheless.

Old 09-11-20, 05:12 AM   #12837
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Not about to start arguing with you on the subject matter but hasn't much of the world forgiven your country for all the treaties that have been broken over the past hundred years or so?
That answer does not convinve. Nor does it say anything relevant on what happens right now. You know how I think about the EU, the Euro legislation, and Brexit. And still I psoition myself against Johnson here. I thinkt hat withdrawel agreement goes too far on conessions. i would not have signed it. But now that it has been signed, it must be honoured. Pacta sunt servanda. Else any further furutre talks and treaties with you are pointless. mean nothing.

Either there is trust, or there is none.

And the concerns about the Irish issue are relevant for sure. That queston never has been solved at all in the past two, three years. A fact it now reminds everybody of.

I'm quite certain that whent he ultimatum has ended the EU will walk away this time. Maybe even launches a case at the EU court. To which the UK still must comply for the time being. If it ignores that, too, you can forget any treaty and deal with the EU for many years to come. Nobody will see you as trustworthy anymore. Before Corona, that would not have worried me too much. But now, whith things beign as they are and Corona massacring the money system and the economy, it is a concern topping the list.
Old 09-11-20, 05:33 AM   #12838
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

That may well be the case but for now I say let the press have free reign, something these appear to be good at these days then we shall all know the outcome in a month or two.

I'm happy either way but the bottom line for me is Boris promised BREXIT and thus far he is delivering just that.

What eggs need breaking to make the omelette nobody yet knows for sure.

I'm no big fan of Boris but I'm still convinced he was a better alternative than Steptoe, even if he is a philandering buffoon.

Old 09-11-20, 05:38 AM   #12839
Skybird
Soaring

Nor did I ever express sympathy for Labour'slittle Marxist in disguise!
Old 09-11-20, 05:46 AM   #12840
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I'm well aware of that and apologise if you thought that is what I was trying to allude to.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics