Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-20, 06:37 AM   #12586
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

COUNCIL BY-ELECTIONS 12.03.20
There were four by-elections the other night, three in England and one in Scotland. It was a good night for the Lib Dems with one hold and one gain. The Tories lost a seat in Kent to the Ashford Independents and had mixed results elsewhere. Labour only contested two of the elections and their share of the vote was down in both.

Park Farm North, Ashford Borough Council

Ind: 247 (60.2%) New
Con: 115 (28.0%) -33.4%
Lab: 29 (7.1%) -12.8%
Green: 11 (2.7%) New
Lib Dem: 8 (2.0%) -16.7%

Ind GAIN from Con

Eilean a' Cheò, Highland Council

Ind: 911 (28.5%) New
SNP: 874 (27.3%) +8.6%
Lib Dem: 698 (21.8%) +19.9%
Green: 357 (11.2%) New
Con: 314 (9.8%) +3.4%
Ind: 45 (1.4%) New

Ind GAIN from Ind

Parrett, South Somerset District Council

Lib Dem: 387 (52.0%) -12.5%
Con: 162 (21.8%) -13.7%
Ind: 160 (21.5%) +21.5%
Green: 35 (4.7%) New

Lib Dem HOLD

Welford-on-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon District Council

Lib Dem: 472 (43.6%) New
Con: 323 (29.9%) +8.7%
Ind: 231 (21.3%) New
Lab: 41 (3.8%) -1.5%
Green: 15 (1.4%) -7.1%

Lib Dem GAIN from Ind

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 03-14-20, 04:07 PM   #12587
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/14/u...gbr/index.html

Corona can really ruin Johnson's plans. With one of the worst bed saturations amongst Western health systems and two national key advisors/officials for health being obsessed not with virological growth rates, but public behaviour control, and so having wasted an awful lot of time already, the NHS and the UK already are in an extremely disadvantageous position to deal with the pandemic overrolling the country.

And always keep on mind: most likely, very most lkikely, there will come a second wave months after the first, and possibly, very possibly, even a third.

Plans have limits if they need to be carried out in a chaotic system like our universe.
Old 03-15-20, 09:17 AM   #12588
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I think the transition period should be extended due to the unprecedented circumstances we are facing as a result of the coronavirus.

Old 03-15-20, 11:44 AM   #12589
Skybird
Soaring

You have a worse problem with the man. You have to stop him from committing mass murder. His ideas on pushing herd immunity are simply this: mass murder. What lallance said, is horrific. And nonsense. It maximizes the case numbers in a given time interval, where as the interest must be to reduce them in a given time intervall so that the system does not get overwhelmed. The latter means: saving lives. The first means: maximising loss of life. Doing that intentionally, is mass murder.

And the clock is running against you. You dont have weeks, but hours. Be thankful if it is days, but I doubt it.

Johnson seems to want the bloodbath so that he gets herd immunity early and then can carry on with his Brexit timetable. The latter is in doubt if herd immunity is allowed to get slowed down in achieving it. As yoiu said this will make an extension of the negotiatons with the Eu more likely.
Old 03-16-20, 06:30 AM   #12590
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
You have a worse problem with the man. You have to stop him from committing mass murder. His ideas on pushing herd immunity are simply this: mass murder. What lallance said, is horrific. And nonsense. It maximizes the case numbers in a given time interval, where as the interest must be to reduce them in a given time intervall so that the system does not get overwhelmed. The latter means: saving lives. The first means: maximising loss of life. Doing that intentionally, is mass murder.

And the clock is running against you. You dont have weeks, but hours. Be thankful if it is days, but I doubt it.

Johnson seems to want the bloodbath so that he gets herd immunity early and then can carry on with his Brexit timetable. The latter is in doubt if herd immunity is allowed to get slowed down in achieving it. As yoiu said this will make an extension of the negotiatons with the Eu more likely.
Protect the rich protect the money and the rest can go and spin. Yep sounds like their thinking...Woohoo the rich must come 1st.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 03-16-20, 06:32 AM   #12591
Skybird
Soaring

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...m-hospitalised

Tja.

Meanwhile, it seems critics have somewhat outbraked Johnson. The British can be thankful for that. It will be a bloodbath nevertheless, though maybe not as bad as it woudl have been with Johnson'S plan realiesd.
Old 03-16-20, 07:07 AM   #12592
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...m-hospitalised

Tja.

Meanwhile, it seems critics have somewhat outbraked Johnson. The British can be thankful for that. It will be a bloodbath nevertheless, though maybe not as bad as it woudl have been with Johnson'S plan realiesd.
Quote:
The coronavirus epidemic in the UK will last until next spring and could lead to 7.9 million people being hospitalised
Loaded words at this time will always raise the fear factor.

IMHO, Bojo has acted way too slowly on this matter and even now seems to take this mix bag of being serious and a joker as this is ok. No one can predict this virus due to human nature, hey I witness more than once blokes not washing their hands in public toilets after a No.2!!!!

My advice relax and stop and think and hope Bojo get's his act together.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 03-16-20, 07:12 AM   #12593
Skybird
Soaring

You're disucssing with the rules of mathematics, Steed. You have no chance to win that argument.

We need a vaccine, and drugs.The first comes not before next year, the latter - well, everything that helps, is a help. The situation is so desperate that I would even accept globuli, if only they would help: more unconditional my surrender cannot be.
Old 03-16-20, 07:34 AM   #12594
STEED
Lucky Jack

Just being sensible and if I get it so be and like everyone in the world you only two options.

Back to politics this could damage Bojo's government in the long term if we see a high death rate and come the general election Labour will be on a up swing. One thing is for sure the N.H.S is going to be put under massive pressure and it will break! This will play right into the hands of Lab/Lib and all the rest.

Bojo had to be kicked up the arse by the nameless one to get daily briefing! Don't get me wrong all these politicians in my book are clueless but you can not beat being in opposition to dish out the dirt.

Old 03-16-20, 08:12 AM   #12595
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:

Britain should copy the German lead in closing her borders.

Quote:
Germany latest country to close borders.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51905129

Old 03-16-20, 08:24 AM   #12596
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Boris Johnson will outline the next step in the UK's plan to fight coronavirus at the first of a new series of daily news conferences.

The PM, or a senior minister, will now address the media each day to ensure people are informed about how to protect themselves.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51901818
A positive move.

Old 03-16-20, 04:39 PM   #12597
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Britain should copy the German lead in closing her borders.
German "lead" in closing borders? We came late to that party! Austria, Poland, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Denmark all went earlier, days earlier.
Old 03-16-20, 04:40 PM   #12598
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
A positive move.
Depends on what he says. Until recently it was bollocks only. As a slurce in the siocne community outside Britain commented: when we heard first what he said on his plans, we all laughed, because we honestely believed it was satire.

I must admit in this Corona crisis, Johnson so far leaves an awesomely terrible impression.
Old 03-17-20, 06:21 AM   #12599
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The key new measures Boris announced included:

Everyone should avoid gatherings with friends and family, as well as large gatherings and crowded places, such as pubs, clubs and theatres.

People should avoid non-essential travel and work from home if they can.

All "unnecessary" visits to friends and relatives in care homes should cease.

People should only use the NHS "where we really need to" - and can reduce the burden on workers by getting advice on the NHS website where possible.

By next weekend, those with the most serious health conditions must be "largely shielded from social contact for around 12 weeks"

If one person in any household has a persistent cough or fever, everyone living there must stay at home for 14 days.

Those people should, if possible, avoid leaving the house "even to buy food or essentials" - but they may leave the house "for exercise and, in that case, at a safe distance from others"

Schools will not be closed for the moment.

Under the guidance, people who should be "particularly stringent" in minimising their social contact are:

People over the age of 70

Other adults who would normally be advised to have the flu vaccine (such as those with chronic diseases)

Pregnant women

Old 03-17-20, 01:00 PM   #12600
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The government has unveiled a package of financial measures to shore up the economy against the coronavirus impact.

These include £330bn for companies to access loans, support for airlines, a business rates holiday, and help for small firms without insurance.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak told a press conference it was an "economic emergency. Never in peacetime have we faced an economic fight like this one."

And he promised that if this package was not enough, he would go further.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51935467

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics