Closed Thread

Old 05-12-23, 03:21 PM   #10951
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargo View Post
North of Bakhmut, Ukraine, has reversed about 2.5 months worth of Russian advances.
And they did this in less than 24 hrs.

I say the Russians should do some work out, so they can run fast backwards

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online  
Old 05-12-23, 03:51 PM   #10952
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

As the Tagesspiegel reports, defence contractor Rheinmetall is to become Ukraine's central local equipment supplier. To this end, the company has founded a joint venture with Ukrainian state-owned Ukroboronprom, as the DAX-listed group announced on Friday. "It is a central concern for us at Rheinmetall to support our Ukrainian partners in the fight for freedom and democracy and to meet their urgent needs as quickly as possible," explained CEO Armin Papperger.

The cooperation includes the maintenance and repair of armoured vehicles in Ukraine, and in parallel the construction of tanks is being prepared, the group explained. Ukroboronprom General Director Yuriy Husyev explained: "Despite numerous Russian missile attacks, Ukroboronprom was still able to increase the production of military equipment and armoured vehicles. Together with Rheinmetall at our side, we will be able to achieve even more for our country."

In the new company, Rheinmetall will hold a majority stake of 51 per cent and will also take over the entrepreneurial leadership. The management will come from Rheinmetall. With the cooperation, Rheinmetall will become one of the most important partners of the Ukrainian defence industry, it said.

As I understand it, the German government still has to allow the tank-building by RM in Ukraine. It could then be the first location where the new KF 51 Panther MBT will be build. The new KF 31 and KF 41 IFV Lynx (not to mistake with the older APC of same name, the new is a platform family that can even mount 120mm gun turrets) also is an option for production in the Ukraine.
Old 05-12-23, 05:19 PM   #10953
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online  
Old 05-13-23, 03:46 AM   #10954
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 05-13-23, 04:01 AM   #10955
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 05-13-23, 04:18 AM   #10956
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

As frightening as it must be to actually be there I still find it quite fascinating.

Old 05-13-23, 05:38 AM   #10957
Skybird
Soaring

I'm split on that video. Those T-72s were lucky that the Russians appartently had only one AT weapon left, and missed with it. I would hate to go with an MBT into close range fighting against infantry like that.

If they do like this with Leopards or Challengers against better armed troops, they will start loosing them. Even an older RPG version can take out a Leopard 2A7, if well-aimed.

Maybe the Ukrainians knew about the weapon status of the Russians in that position.

Last edited by Skybird; 05-13-23 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-13-23, 05:50 AM   #10958
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

^ Yeah, something along those lines. I'd of thought infantry backed up by the tanks guns would have been better suited to the task.

Old 05-13-23, 05:51 AM   #10959
Skybird
Soaring

The NZZ reports that Germany is putting together another arms package for Ukraine. In the coming weeks and months, the country is to receive weapons worth around 2.7 billion euros. This is the largest delivery Berlin has provided since Russia's invasion.

The list would include another 20 Marder infantry fighting vehicles, 30 Leopard-1 tanks, 15 Gepard anti-aircraft tanks, 200 reconnaissance drones, four Iris-T anti-aircraft systems, as well as ammunition and vehicles, the defense ministry said in Berlin on Saturday.
Old 05-13-23, 05:54 AM   #10960
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
^ Yeah, something along those lines. I'd of thought infantry backed up by the tanks guns would have been better suited to the task.
Yes, the infantry'S job would have been to keep the tanks out of such kind of situations. But we do not know all variables defining the battle shown, and the events leading to it.

The Turks lost several Leopard-2A4s because right this: commanders sent their tanks unprotected by own infantry against enemy fighters with RPGs. The reported losses vary according to the source you pick and the Turks themselves are naturally a bit shy on commenting on their failure, I read numbers between one and two dozen tanks lost.
Old 05-13-23, 06:04 AM   #10961
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The NZZ reports that Germany is putting together another arms package for Ukraine. In the coming weeks and months, the country is to receive weapons worth around 2.7 billion euros. This is the largest delivery Berlin has provided since Russia's invasion.

The list would include another 20 Marder infantry fighting vehicles, 30 Leopard-1 tanks, 15 Gepard anti-aircraft tanks, 200 reconnaissance drones, four Iris-T anti-aircraft systems, as well as ammunition and vehicles, the defense ministry said in Berlin on Saturday.
Yes, it is being reported the weapons will come from industrial stocks and industrial production but that begs the question why are the German stock levels so low for their own forces?

Old 05-13-23, 06:19 AM   #10962
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Heard in today's Update from Ukraine.

- Russian run faster than Wagner.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online  
Old 05-13-23, 07:06 AM   #10963
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Yes, it is being reported the weapons will come from industrial stocks and industrial production but that begs the question why are the German stock levels so low for their own forces?
Because we are everybody's darling and nobody wants to attack us anyway, so we just saved the money. Further, its better having nothing than having something that is not good enough for us.
The Gepards have been phase dout years ago already. The Marders have been replaced by Pumas, there is not enough troops to man the whole fleet of IFVs anyway and the Marder is old, the Pumsa on te other too expensive: despite Babble-Olaf'S Zeitenwende the number of to be aquired Pumas has just been halved again from further 100 to now 50. The Isis system is not even in service with the German forces, must be build just for Ukraine.
Old 05-13-23, 11:27 AM   #10964
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Because we are everybody's darling and nobody wants to attack us anyway, so we just saved the money. Further, its better having nothing than having something that is not good enough for us.
The Gepards have been phase dout years ago already. The Marders have been replaced by Pumas, there is not enough troops to man the whole fleet of IFVs anyway and the Marder is old, the Pumsa on te other too expensive: despite Babble-Olaf'S Zeitenwende the number of to be aquired Pumas has just been halved again from further 100 to now 50. The Isis system is not even in service with the German forces, must be build just for Ukraine.
It all sounds like a right mess

Old 05-13-23, 11:29 AM   #10965
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Closed Thread