SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-09, 09:37 AM   #991
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Roberts
Here's a quick question:

If I install OM on top of RFB/RSRD, will I be able to move back and forth between German and US play without problems? In other words, does OM "break" anything in RFB/RSRD, or can I play both with no problems?

Thanks!

Per the load instructions on the first post of this thread , yes
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 12:25 PM   #992
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0

Concerning the phantom snorkel.

I know this boat is not equipped with a snorkel, which I have no problem with.

I was merely stating that the diesels kick in when the boat is at periscope depth as if the snorkel is raised. But seeing as there is no snorkel, this should not be possible. Aside from the batteries not charging, everything else is as if the boat is on the surface, including one prop not turning as if the batteries are charging.

This is a very odd bug.

Hope this helps find the problem
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 12:43 PM   #993
Paul Roberts
Helmsman

Downloads: 83

I've only recently reinstalled SH4, and I'm really starting to fall in love with OM!

However, I'm confused when choosing my start flotillas because I'm not sure who does what. Is there some kind of master list of which flotillas are involved in which "mini campaigns," and when? Also, what happens when I choose a flotilla that isn't involved in one of these campaigns (or is there always a mini-campaign in effect?)? What happens when these campaigns come to their historical end date?

Thanks!
Paul Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 01:33 PM   #994
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Roberts
I've only recently reinstalled SH4, and I'm really starting to fall in love with OM!

However, I'm confused when choosing my start flotillas because I'm not sure who does what. Is there some kind of master list of which flotillas are involved in which "mini campaigns," and when? Also, what happens when I choose a flotilla that isn't involved in one of these campaigns (or is there always a mini-campaign in effect?)? What happens when these campaigns come to their historical end date?

Thanks!
Aside from the excellent PDF and Readme that Lurker includes in his releases you can Google uboat.net and do further research there. I added to the OM readme with the list of the actual Op Monsun skippers so that I could use their names for careers, Richard Zapp being one favorite.

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 04:27 AM   #995
John_Doe_16
Seaman

Downloads: 3
Default A few suggestions / bug-reports for "Operation Monsun"

Hi,

first of all, thanks a lot for working so hard on "Operation Monsun". I appreciate your work very much, and I am astonished how much you have done in a relatively short time

However, when I played OM V600 (with patch) yesterday, I noticed some things while playing with the type VII C/41:

- The control room of the type VII: The port engine-telegraph (the one with the red frame) has a strange anomaly in the "gloss-map"; I can provide screenshots if you want.
I am sure it's a small problem with that particular control-room, as I don't have that problem anywhere else... While looking at it from certain angles you see "Square artifacts" in the gloss on the glass...

- The exterior model of the type VIIC / 41 has some bugs with the skin:
The flooding holes on the skin often don't align properly with the 3D-flooding-holes... (just look at the line of round holes at the front... They are there twice: The 3D-ones, and, a bit farther on the back, the skinned-on ones...).
Where the flooding-holes on the skin and the 3D-ones match (e.g. on the back of the boat), it creates a beautiful effect

- Also, on the type VII C/41, the texture of the deck is not right...
(Take a look for yourself... The deck should be wooden with a dark texture on a late-war-boat, but instead on this skin it consists of black metal plates bolted together, not historical for any German submarine of WW2...)

- On the conning-towers of the type VII-submarines (the exterior-models; the type VII-ones are the only ones I checked so far); the face of the compass is tilted wrongly, so it doesn't match its housing. Also, the needle of the engine-telegraph on the conning tower is tilted wrongly.

- In the type XXIII, the depth-gauges are wrongly calibrated... (e.g. face reads 50 /400 m, but the needles move like they showed 25 / 260 m....)

And, a few suggestions:

-It would be great if you used the model of the type XVIII, which is already contained in the "U-Boat-Missions"-addon-pack, for the type XXI.
It has lots of great 3D-details, 3D-flooding-holes etc., and I was really sad to see the "old" XXI-model from SH3 instead of this great new one... The XVIII-Model really, really looks great, just like the IX D2 model, which you included...

- It would be nice to have more crew-members in the interiors... If you don't click on "All men on battle-stations", the interiors feel very empty, which, in my opinion, they shouldn't.. (especially noticable in the type II one, and the type XXI...).

-The type XXI should also have an engineer in the interior, and a helmsman, sitting on the steering seat...
As the helmsman's position in the type XXI has an identical layout to the dept-control station, he could use the same animation as the guys at the depth-controls. So, I think, it could be quite doable.

Wow, that has been quite a list, but I hope by submitting these suggestions, I can help you to make "Operation Monsun" even better

All the best to you!
John_Doe_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 10:16 AM   #996
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46

Only problem with the type XVIII hull is the rudder configuration.

The type XXI had a large rectangular one whereas the Walter boat had a rudder that blended in with the rear hull and was smaller. I too like the XVIII, but unfortunately for a historically accurate mod, it completely does not fit seeing as one was never completed in the manner intended (the hulls on the slips being made to the Walter design were instead completed as type XXIs)
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 11:20 AM   #997
John_Doe_16
Seaman

Downloads: 3

Hi,

I didn't know that, but maybe someone could remodel the type XVIII a bit to make the rudder more similar? That should not be too hard for a good 3D-modeller?
But honetly, I never noticed this exterior difference between the type XVIII, and XXI, and I think that the XVIII-model would look so great as the type XXI; and if the rudder is the only difference...?

By the way, there are some minor cosmetic issues with other submarine-types, too:

The type VIIC-Railing in early war is wrong... As long as the submarine is fitted with a deck-gun, it should have the same railing as the type VIIB.
And, also on the type VIIC, the aft antennas don't match the antenna-poles when you use an early conning-tower, as the antenna-poles are designed for the late conning tower with the additional AA position...
But these minor errors were already in SH3, so maybe they are not easily fixable by using VIIB antenna-poles and railings with early conning-towers on the VIIC?
John_Doe_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 01:12 PM   #998
Indy676
Sailor man

Downloads: 6

Hello
I played just the 27th training flotilla in 10/44 with the XXI boot.
I found some bugs I think. There are no voises to the commands and the range with elektrik engines is far to less. Only 4 houres with 2/3 aheat and 6 knotes. The XXI was capable of doing 5.5 knotes with silent running and for more than 20 houres.
Also I sailed from Gotenhafen to Bergen in Jan 45 without seeing one aircraft.
I read accounts from 1945, and there it was not possible to go through the Sagerrak surfaced in that time. And from Norway I sailed nearly to the Shettlands without detecting one aircraft. And there were no subhuntergroups anywere.
I abandoned that career for now, maybe it will get more realistic in time.
For all the rest, thank you very much lurker. Realy great mod so far.
Greets Indy
Indy676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 07:19 PM   #999
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Doe_16
Hi,

first of all, thanks a lot for working so hard on "Operation Monsun". I appreciate your work very much, and I am astonished how much you have done in a relatively short time

However, when I played OM V600 (with patch) yesterday, I noticed some things while playing with the type VII C/41:

- The control room of the type VII: The port engine-telegraph (the one with the red frame) has a strange anomaly in the "gloss-map"; I can provide screenshots if you want.
I am sure it's a small problem with that particular control-room, as I don't have that problem anywhere else... While looking at it from certain angles you see "Square artifacts" in the gloss on the glass...

- The exterior model of the type VIIC / 41 has some bugs with the skin:
The flooding holes on the skin often don't align properly with the 3D-flooding-holes... (just look at the line of round holes at the front... They are there twice: The 3D-ones, and, a bit farther on the back, the skinned-on ones...).
Where the flooding-holes on the skin and the 3D-ones match (e.g. on the back of the boat), it creates a beautiful effect

(Take a look for yourself... The deck should be wooden with a dark texture on a late-war-boat, but instead on this skin it consists of black metal plates bolted together, not historical for any German submarine of WW2...)

- On the conning-towers of the type VII-submarines (the exterior-models; the type VII-ones are the only ones I checked so far); the face of the compass is tilted wrongly, so it doesn't match its housing. Also, the needle of the engine-telegraph on the conning tower is tilted wrongly.

- In the type XXIII, the depth-gauges are wrongly calibrated... (e.g. face reads 50 /400 m, but the needles move like they showed 25 / 260 m....)

And, a few suggestions:

-It would be great if you used the model of the type XVIII, which is already contained in the "U-Boat-Missions"-addon-pack, for the type XXI.
It has lots of great 3D-details, 3D-flooding-holes etc., and I was really sad to see the "old" XXI-model from SH3 instead of this great new one... The XVIII-Model really, really looks great, just like the IX D2 model, which you included...

- It would be nice to have more crew-members in the interiors... If you don't click on "All men on battle-stations", the interiors feel very empty, which, in my opinion, they shouldn't.. (especially noticable in the type II one, and the type XXI...).

-The type XXI should also have an engineer in the interior, and a helmsman, sitting on the steering seat...
As the helmsman's position in the type XXI has an identical layout to the dept-control station, he could use the same animation as the guys at the depth-controls. So, I think, it could be quite doable.

Wow, that has been quite a list, but I hope by submitting these suggestions, I can help you to make "Operation Monsun" even better

All the best to you!

Quote:
Know issue. You can PM Xantrokoles the author, with your trouble report

Quote:

You can PM Tomi_99, the author, and tell him what you don't like about his work

Quote:
A spot check show that the deep gauges are working correctly

Quote:
AS DESIGNED

The Type XVIII did not meet my requirement

Quote:

Current crew manning is AS DESIGNED

Last edited by lurker_hlb3; 01-06-09 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-05-09, 07:20 PM   #1000
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy676
Hello
I played just the 27th training flotilla in 10/44 with the XXI boot.
I found some bugs I think. There are no voises to the commands and the range with elektrik engines is far to less. Only 4 houres with 2/3 aheat and 6 knotes. The XXI was capable of doing 5.5 knotes with silent running and for more than 20 houres.
Also I sailed from Gotenhafen to Bergen in Jan 45 without seeing one aircraft.
I read accounts from 1945, and there it was not possible to go through the Sagerrak surfaced in that time. And from Norway I sailed nearly to the Shettlands without detecting one aircraft. And there were no subhuntergroups anywere.
I abandoned that career for now, maybe it will get more realistic in time.
For all the rest, thank you very much lurker. Realy great mod so far.
Greets Indy
Thank you for your input, I will look into it
Old 01-07-09, 08:12 AM   #1001
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

I'm running this mod with the latest version of TMO and the German voices mod. It's October 1941. An early morning thunder storm in the Barents Sea and I'm in the process of attacking a large Convoy.

Man, this game is now so full of atmosphere and Drama.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 04:12 PM   #1002
dogshu
Mate

Downloads: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044
I'm running this mod with the latest version of TMO and the German voices mod. It's October 1941. An early morning thunder storm in the Barents Sea and I'm in the process of attacking a large Convoy.

I agree. I know its blasphemy, but I dare say that SH4 w/Uboat missions + Op Monsun is even better than SH3 + GWX.
dogshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-09, 07:50 PM   #1003
cgjimeneza
Captain

Downloads: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogshu
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK1044

I agree. I know its blasphemy, but I dare say that SH4 w/Uboat missions + Op Monsun is even better than SH3 + GWX.
its not blaphemy, its progress. Of the Lurker´s kind.

kudos man

"Left on their own, engineers can be dangerous"
cgjimeneza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 03:42 PM   #1004
Rene
Sailor man

Downloads: 40

BUGREPORT: the XXIII still has the problem with the tube one that it ones and shut again and again. could anyone fix it?
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 06:52 PM   #1005
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene
BUGREPORT: the XXIII still has the problem with the tube one that it ones and shut again and again. could anyone fix it?
Yes it has been fixed it and it will be in the next release

Last edited by lurker_hlb3; 01-09-09 at 07:38 PM.