SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-18-12, 02:06 PM   #991
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Kick-started the laptop: I confirm, it works on the laptop, bumpmap including, the only thing that is different is that the gauges faces are all-black when in programmable mode. The cards:
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M - works
- ATI Radeon HD 5850 - no go

Pathetic... Don't you hate it! When I was doing web-design it was soooo hateful to adjust all the pages to all the different browsers out there and it still didn't work on some, I thought cross-browser compatibility is the worst nightmare of IT and here we have problems with vcard brands... I don't have a clue on how and if at all this problem could be tackled. I am sorry TDW...
No worries. Thanks for confirming this though

Now I have to figure out why which will probably be a daunting task especially since trying to test and fix will be impossible as I don't have any computers using AMD/ATI viedo cards
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-12, 02:38 PM   #992
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0

Found a glitch:
/Submarine/Common/Rooms/Room_QR2.gr2 appears all white, textures are missing as if I set the 'installation' patch wrong.
Vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-12, 02:39 PM   #993
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
No worries. Thanks for confirming this though

Now I have to figure out why which will probably be a daunting task especially since trying to test and fix will be impossible as I don't have any computers using AMD/ATI viedo cards
If I can help anyhow with testing, please tell me, I'll try to do my best.
Old 03-18-12, 02:58 PM   #994
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Issue with waypoints edges: two-way vs. one-way classification is odd. As I get it the path is announced 'two-way' when two different animations are used, one for going up the other for going down, all other paths are announced one-way and 'start-finish' are taken from the first entry the parser finds. In fact most of the stock waypoints are two way, for example:
Code:
    SQ_SQ_WP03_DOOR SQ_WP04 loop WALK 
    SQ_WP04 SQ_SQ_WP03_DOOR loop WALK 
Means that the path between the above two is two-way path, walk animation is used for either going up or down. This path is shown as 'one-way' in the editor.

One-way is a path when one of the two paths (going up or down) is omitted, it bars the char from using this path for going respectively up or down forcing him to look for another route.

A path with two different animations one for going the other for going down is the third case, but it is still a two-way path.
Old 03-18-12, 03:02 PM   #995
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Found a glitch:
/Submarine/Common/Rooms/Room_QR2.gr2 appears all white, textures are missing as if I set the 'installation' patch wrong.
Do you have lighting enabled? If so:

- if have fixed-function pipeline rendering then uncheck specular enabled and see if problem goes away (it's not really a problem but how fixed-function pipeline rendering renders specular)
- check lights to ensure the ambient and specular colors are not full white (set slider to somewhere near bottom)

- if have programmable (shaders) rendering then check lights to ensure the ambient and specular colors are not full white (set slider to somewhere near bottom)

- disable lighting to see if 'problem' goes away

if lighting is not enabled:
Old 03-18-12, 03:05 PM   #996
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Issue with waypoints edges: two-way vs. one-way classification is odd. As I get it the path is announced 'two-way' when two different animations are used, one for going up the other for going down, all other paths are announced one-way and 'start-finish' are taken from the first entry the parser finds. In fact most of the stock waypoints are two way, for example:
Code:
    SQ_SQ_WP03_DOOR SQ_WP04 loop WALK 
    SQ_WP04 SQ_SQ_WP03_DOOR loop WALK 
Means that the path between the above two is two-way path, walk animation is used for either going up or down. This path is shown as 'one-way' in the editor.

One-way is a path when one of the two paths (going up or down) is omitted, it bars the char from using this path for going respectively up or down forcing him to look for another route.

A path with two different animations one for going the other for going down is the third case, but it is still a two-way path.
They should be classified as two-way if the parser finds two entries that have a start and end that are the same only swapped for one of them. Which file is in question?
Old 03-18-12, 03:21 PM   #997
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Quote:
They should be classified as two-way if the parser finds two entries that have a start and end that are the same only swapped for one of them. Which file is in question?
All of them, I think. There is always only one green path I see. For example Submarine/Common/Rooms/Waypoints_Room_TRF.gr2
There is only one green path between TRF_1_DOOR and TRF_LOAD05, all others are white-blue, while all of them should be green as I see from the edges file.
Old 03-18-12, 03:23 PM   #998
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Quote:
Do you have lighting enabled? If so:

- if have fixed-function pipeline rendering then uncheck specular enabled and see if problem goes away (it's not really a problem but how fixed-function pipeline rendering renders specular)
- check lights to ensure the ambient and specular colors are not full white (set slider to somewhere near bottom)

- if have programmable (shaders) rendering then check lights to ensure the ambient and specular colors are not full white (set slider to somewhere near bottom)

- disable lighting to see if 'problem' goes away

if lighting is not enabled:
Please disregard, just opened it fine after the Editor restart. Don't know what caused it, maybe it was messed waypoints file (by me) which was loaded automaticaly...
Old 03-18-12, 03:31 PM   #999
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
All of them, I think. There is always only one green path I see. For example Submarine/Common/Rooms/Waypoints_Room_TRF.gr2
There is only one green path between TRF_1_DOOR and TRF_LOAD05, all others are white-blue, while all of them should be green as I see from the edges file.
I think I know why. I disabled z buffer test so everything gets rendered no matter what when it comes to these (you have option to enforce z buffer test via Edit-->Options-->Waypoints). If the two-way is rendered first and then a one-way is then rendered (same waypoints) it will overwrite the two-way. What I need to check for is if a two exists then don't render the one-way paths that made the two way I'll check to see if I'm doing this or not
Old 03-18-12, 03:48 PM   #1000
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Just made one of my new chars walk from the very stern to the very bow and back again. Man! What a testimony to an unfinished game! The guy sometimes jumps a bit because compartments have different floor heights or because some waypoints are lower then others, then in half of the points he does 'gymnastics' because there is an animation referenced that is not there, then there is turning between some of the stock waypoints because next animation has wrong orientation [facepalm]. As if it was not enough there are also some waypoints referenced that do not exist in the stock files (animation for them does exist however!) and most patheticaly there is even a loop in the path!
Old 03-18-12, 03:49 PM   #1001
Vanilla
Lieutenant

But it is all not that bad and the method for 'no-turning' does work indeed.
Old 03-18-12, 04:13 PM   #1002
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Ok, I know how to do the 'teleport' between waypoints automatically without turns, no more manual teleporting between compartments, you have to write only the destination.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Old 03-18-12, 04:24 PM   #1003
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Just made one of my new chars walk from the very stern to the very bow and back again. Man! What a testimony to an unfinished game! The guy sometimes jumps a bit because compartments have different floor heights or because some waypoints are lower then others, then in half of the points he does 'gymnastics' because there is an animation referenced that is not there, then there is turning between some of the stock waypoints because next animation has wrong orientation [facepalm]. As if it was not enough there are also some waypoints referenced that do not exist in the stock files (animation for them does exist however!) and most patheticaly there is even a loop in the path!
I'd love to see a video of all this
Old 03-18-12, 04:25 PM   #1004
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Characters/CharacterBodyParts.gr2 gives many 'Images found' errors.
Old 03-18-12, 04:27 PM   #1005
Vanilla
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
I'd love to see a video of all this
You mean with all these quirks and twists? Or the final, clean walk I'll do very soon?