Closed Thread

Old 02-24-22, 01:45 PM   #931
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas86 View Post
I wonder how Russia will respond to coming sanctions, maybe a cyber strike on Europe? They say they will reply to sanctions with "the same coin"..
It's gonna be a tik for a tac for a long time. Biden isn't gonna do what's needed sanction wise or to open markets to get gas production where it should be to bail out Europe's dependence on Russian oil. It's gonna be a long drawn out new Cold War.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Old 02-24-22, 01:51 PM   #932
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon8 The failure of the Budapest Convention

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBBY
...the real trick now is for all parties to keep this from blowing up into a 1914 Sarajevo-style trigger to WWIII; no IMHO about it. It noteworthy that, like Stalin moving troops from the Japanese Mongolian front in WWII, Putin, now in cahoots with premier Xi, has re-deployed troops from the Russo-Sino front to the Ukrainian front...proof he's stretching thin to pull this military gambit off, including threatening the West with "retaliations never seen before' if they aßist Ukraine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
It's gonna be a tik for a tac for a long time. It's gonna be a long drawn out new Cold War.
precisely! (as if the old cold war ever really ended) <President Bill Clinton, Russian President Boris Yeltsin and Ukrainian counterpart Leonid M. Kravchuk join hands after signing the nuclear disarmament agreement in the Kremlin, Jan. 14, 1994.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2day's WSJ
As the people of Ukraine steel themselves for a Russian attack, it’s worth recalling how the U.S. persuaded the country to give up its nuclear weapons. The event was the Budapest Memorandum of 1994, in which the U.S., Great Britain and Russia offered security assurances to the nation that had won independence when the Soviet Union dissolved.
That was the halcyon post-Cold War era when history had supposedly ended. Some 1,800 nuclear weapons were on Ukrainian territory, including short-range tactical weapons and air-launched cruise missiles. The U.S. wanted fewer countries to have fewer nukes, and U.S. credibility was at its peak.
The memo begins with the U.S., U.K. and Russia noting that Ukraine had committed “to eliminate all nuclear weapons from its territory within a specified period of time.” Then the three countries “confirm” a half-dozen commitments to Ukraine.
The most important was to “reaffirm their obligation to refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine.” They also pledged to “refrain from economic coercion” against Ukraine and to “seek immediate United Nations Security Council action to provide assistance to Ukraine” in the event of an “act of aggression” against the country. Ukraine had returned all of the nuclear weapons to Russia by 1996.
Vladimir Putin made the Budapest Memorandum a dead letter with his first invasion of Ukraine in 2014. But the betrayal of Budapest isn’t forgotten in Kyiv, as President Volodymyr Zelensky noted bitterly in weekend remarks in Munich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBBY
Moreover on 60 Minutes this weekend past, the President of Ukraine admitted that Ukraine's giving up its third largest nuclear arsenal was a mistake...I wonder what remaining plums: Lithuania, Estonia, and Latvia are contemplating at this juncture
Budapest shows again the folly of trusting parchment promises in a world where autocrats think might makes right. More damaging is the message that nations give up their nuclear arsenals at their peril. That’s the lesson North Korea has learned, and Iran is following the same playbook as it connives to build the bomb even as it promises not to do so.
The inability of the U.S. to enforce its Budapest commitments will also echo in allied capitals that rely on America’s military assurances. Don’t be surprised if Japan or South Korea seek their own nuclear deterrent. If Americans want to know why they should care about Ukraine, nuclear proliferation is one reason. Betrayal has consequences, as the world seems destined to learn again the hard way.
BOTTOM Line: Putin ain't the only liar...I await the post-nuke dystopian age!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 02-24-22 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-24-22, 01:58 PM   #933
Andreas86
Ensign

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 2

Damn close call for the person recording:

https://censor-net.translate.goog/ua..._x_tr_pto=wapp
Old 02-24-22, 02:00 PM   #934
Rosomaha
Loader

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 1

Susexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I thought they were Ukrainian as Rockstar posted as an answer to my comment about what Russian viewers are being bombarded with.Markus
So it is. There the message is misleading. - this is a Ukrainian cell. Not Russian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
The propaganda from Putin and his state run media that Ukraine is brimming with Nazis, that's just to fantastical too believe...
Unfortunately, my friend, this is not delusional madness. Or at least not devoid of soil.

I'll just leave some photos here:

such movements are not condemned there

Of course, everyone always has propaganda, but I see Western propaganda more powerful and crazy, at times.

Politics is a dirty business. Peace of mind to all of us and peaceful communication.
Old 02-24-22, 02:02 PM   #935
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 186

What's the source of those photos?
Old 02-24-22, 02:05 PM   #936
Andreas86
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton View Post
You are Pro-Trump from another country? And what country is that?

Never said I was pro-Trump, or pro any US politician. But we do have conservative, or what you might perhaps call "republican" values outside the US you know. Norway.
Old 02-24-22, 02:06 PM   #937
clayton
Samurai Navy

“Never said I was Pro-Trump. . .”
That's good.
Old 02-24-22, 02:11 PM   #938
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I've heard civilians has been arrested in Moscow as they try to demonstrate against the war.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online  
Old 02-24-22, 02:13 PM   #939
Andreas86
Ensign

Quote:
“Never said I was Pro-Trump. . .”
That's good.

Why? Would it matter?
Old 02-24-22, 02:13 PM   #940
clayton
Samurai Navy

Quote:
I've heard civilians has been arrested in Moscow as they try to demonstrate against the war.

Markus
And it's those civilians who will bring about Putin’s downfall.
Old 02-24-22, 02:19 PM   #941
clayton
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas86 View Post
Why? Would it matter?
Absolutely
Old 02-24-22, 02:21 PM   #942
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

First day of the Invasion was a success we archieved what we planned - Says the Russian military

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online  
Old 02-24-22, 02:22 PM   #943
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
And it's those civilians who will bring about Putin’s downfall.
Putin just needs to follow Justin Trudeau‘s lead on how to quell dissenters .

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Old 02-24-22, 02:22 PM   #944
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Hey, we have marching Nazis in Germany too, but that does not turn Germany into the Fourth Reich. As a matter of fact the vast majority of politicians, parties and media are left-winged over here, and the current government is formed by two left parties, and the Zeitgeist ticks very left over here.

A picture with a dozen marching Nazis does not change anything in that.

Like the Ukraine has the Azov group, Russia has the Wagner group that it uses as buccaneers and raiders, so to speak, carrying out military operations wanted by the Russian governemnt without the Russian government formally being held accountable. It is accused of many human rights violations and crimes against humanity.
Old 02-24-22, 02:24 PM   #945
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
I thought they were Ukrainian as Rockstar posted as an answer to my comment about what Russian viewers are being bombarded with.

Markus
Yes, I mistook Azov with Wagner for a moment, and had deleted the post after 30 seconds or so. But you already had captured me, quick little fella!

See my post above this one.